Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 03:35 PM   #1
madscientist

5/13 am close encounters of the furry kind

I got out a little after 6:00. More or less the same story as yesterday. Did have a freaky encounter with the knothead. He raped a spanish off the sabiki then came back for my trap rigged deep bait. Takes it and I get ready to tug. Instead, he pops up a few feet away with my trap hook and spanish dangling from his mouth. then he swims right under me, rolls, and stares at me. I got a little freaked out so I tried to paddle off. HE FOLLOWS ME. Right behind the yak, with my line hanging out of his mouth. I turn towards a boater and speed up. He finally falls backa bit and I engage the drag and give a hard tug to rip it out. Not sure what his plan was but having a 400lb dog with my hook in its mouth, knowing that he knows I put it there, well, a little intimidating. Got the hell out of dodge after that.

Saw a few spots of YT. Bait puddling everywhere, then galloping with a few big boils/splashes, then gone. Water was good outside, mixed brown and green inside. No current. Nada.

Surf was pumping on the way out and in. Lots of tourist devastation at the launch. Second day in a row I got lucky and hopped a little one all the way to the beach, with foamers crashing behind me. Got another two bags of macs for shark chum, highlight of my day. guess my new sig should be..."keeping LJ safe for YT, one bait at a time"
Old 05-13-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
lamb

Scary... Was it that white headed dog? He was the only one I had a problems with lately. The rest of them seem to be happy with the abundance of bait. He seems to be working his territory... further down South, below the 1/2.

Welcome to "Can't Catch Fish" club!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

paying you dues mad? thanks for the report, ill be on it tomorrow... need to pay up some myself
dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
fishin steve

Tks. Brad
fishin steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
rdahl

Had an aggressive one try to board me last weekend. It came up a foot from the yak, raised itself up to look to see if I had anything to eat, then he came up to the bow and tried to get on. First I slapped the water hard with the paddle, nothing-no fear from this dog, then poked him away. He came back again and I had to smack him. Then I paddled away like a scared puss until he left me alone. Sounds like a school bully story. Seems they are getting a little more bold each year. Damn beasts.
rdahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdahl View Post
Had an aggressive one try to board me last weekend. It came up a foot from the yak, raised itself up to look to see if I had anything to eat, then he came up to the bow and tried to get on.
You should have brought a paintball gun...
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote