Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
taggermike

Jst and DFG

Wanted to fish La Jolla yesterday but time was tight so hit south SD Bay. Beautiful day but Minimal tidal movement and slow fishing. Back at the ramp I got checked by a DFG warden. Relaxed guy and not confrontational like some LEOs. He looked at my permit, turns it over a couple times, and says you don't have an ocean enhancement stamp. I bought my permit on line and don't remember even seeing a button for one. Shit, Warden had me 100% dead to rights and out of compliance. He told me to just get one before I go out again. Wow. I'm cool and respectful to every one just as a personal principle; LEOs, homeless guys, who ever. Maybe it paid off today. I might not have been the only one to miss the ocean enhancement stamp on line. If you do make sure you get the stamp. mike
Attached Images

taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

This story sounds familiar.....
Old 02-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
This story sounds familiar.....

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:34 AM   #4
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I was out in la Jolla (nothing to write a report about but I know how some people are about not reporting). Made bait, dropper loop, and the yo-yo for nada. Anyways, DFW hit me up while on the water, maybe about 160ft, so you know that's a lil ways out there.

The two officers were super cool, checked my license, and we had a couple laughs about me only catching greenies. My buddy who was using my loner yak had his license and was fishing about 30ft from me. They asked if he was with me, I said yes, and they said they didn't even need to check him. They went on to check other vessels. Good times.

Glad u got a break. That ocean enhancement is crucial and it's only like 5 bucks. Mistakes happen. Nice Hali too.
Cadillyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Amish Ed

Glad they he was cool to you. I've only been checked once and of course I had forgot my license. It was at night at Shelter and since I had driven down from Mission Viejo they even let me stay on the water. Though they did make me email a scan of the license to them.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
GregAndrew

Got checked twice this year already. The second time the officer thanked me for being cooperative. Just goes to show that they have to deal with lots of a-holes.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
tamddo714

Got checked today in Newport
tamddo714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
LBKayakDude

I remember the very first day I ever went kayak fishing. We got to Long Beach harbor, set up all our gear, extremely excited, just about to paddle out and I realize I forgot my license. Sat there for a few minutes, "Oh I should just head out, what are the odds I'll get checked" etc etc.... Quickly realize that's not gonna happen and there's no way I'm heading out without my license. So I shoot back home and grab the license and we head out to fish all day. On the way in, we're approached by dfg on the water! They we're really cool and polite but thank the lord I wasn't dumb enough to paddle out without my license. Long story short, that was the only time, EVER, that I was checked for my license, through all the times ive ever fished my whole life. Don't forget your license!! (Or your saltwater stamp)
LBKayakDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:35 AM   #9
T Bone

You used to be able to get a license that was saltwater only.it was much cheaper.they haven't had that for about ten years now.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 AM   #10
YakDout
Brandon

They make lifetime licenses for those youngsters in it for the long haul. Definitely save some money in the end.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #11
YakDout
Brandon

Unless the taxman gets you in which case you might be out some serious $$
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #12
MissileTM

US Customs

I have been checked on the ramp at Dana Landing twice by US Customs. They were more interested in looking inside my Kayak than checking my license. Both times they informed me there was a problem with people meeting boats offshore to bring in contraband.

Anyone else been checked by Customs?
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 03:15 AM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileTM View Post
I have been checked on the ramp at Dana Landing twice by US Customs. They were more interested in looking inside my Kayak than checking my license. Both times they informed me there was a problem with people meeting boats offshore to bring in contraband.

Anyone else been checked by Customs?
I haven't been checked status lately, but I remember a DEA memo that I came across a few years back mentioning a bust off of Malibu.
Some Commercial fishing boat had dumped some bales of Pot overboard and transported in by small boats and Kayaks.
We're becoming targets due to the popularity and innocence of the sport. Who would try and out run a Customs, CG or HP in a Kayak!
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote