Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #1
T Bone

Ceramic boca bearing upgrade.

Like many of you have had to over the years,I am faced again with bearing replacement in one of my avets.This time around its my JX 6/3.I am considering doing it myself this time and going with Boca bearings,an ABEC 7 Ceramic bearing.Just curious if anyone else has taken the plunge.The bearing kit is $57.95 and in comparison sending it to AVET for repair costs $44 which includes whatever bearings are needed.
Just inquiring if anyone has used them and what do you think.I think we can all agree that our gear will be getting a workout this year.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
JeffB

I've put the Orange sealed ceramics in a lot of my bass reels. I love them. I dunno if there is a huge difference between the SS, but they are nice. Nice thing is the ceramic guts won't rust, but the frame still can. I received a slightly better free spool with them allowing me to cast a little further.

Last edited by JeffB; 02-22-2015 at 09:52 AM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
T Bone

Did you do the full kit or just the spool bearings? I think the most benefit would probably be on the spool bearings.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
Old 02-22-2015, 10:53 AM   #4
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I've put the Orange sealed ceramics in a lot of my bass reels. I love them. I dunno if there is a huge difference between the SS, but they are nice. Nice thing is the ceramic guts won't rust, but the frame still can. I received a slightly better free spool with them allowing me to cast a little further.
Huge difference. I went with the ceramic spool bearings on my revo inshore and buddy has the SS his . We both have 200 yards 30# braid and the same rod, mine outcasts his by quite a bit and its not the user as we have swapped set ups.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #5
JeffB

I did a full kit on all reels
Old 02-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
skrilla

Ceramics really shine in smaller reels IMHO. I get bass guys wanting them so they can huck those 3/8oz or lighter lures farther. Do keep an eye on those bearings especially in the salt.

Try cleaning and relubing your JX bearings first. You might be surprised. I'm not to fond of the factory grease job on Avet's bearings but after a simple clean and relube job the life and performance on those bearings greatly improve. On trashed Avets that come across my workbench I send em to Avet and when they come back I go through the bearings myself.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
T Bone

My JX was rough and is now completely locked.

I know it sounds crazy.it was rough.fished it on a trip,then rougher,now it seems locked up completely.I am good about rinsing them with fresh water when I get home but I may start doing while breaking down.

I am so slammed with work,I think I am just going to send it to AVET,but appreciate the input for sure.I have narrow accurate 870 that is really my heavier casting reel and the JX is now just the meat winch.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
My JX was rough and is now completely locked.

I know it sounds crazy.it was rough.fished it on a trip,then rougher,now it seems locked up completely.I am good about rinsing them with fresh water when I get home but I may start doing while breaking down.

I am so slammed with work,I think I am just going to send it to AVET,but appreciate the input for sure.I have narrow accurate 870 that is really my heavier casting reel and the JX is now just the meat winch.
Sounds like a bad pinion bearing....common avet condition....