Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
T Bone

Hoopers,Think Ahead!

Just saying that it would be wise to save some of the tuna scraps now for the season.Its just around the corner.Having to come up with bait in a pinch is a P.I.T.A.

Another tip,freeze about 3# per bag and not one giant mass.It will make it easier later.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
ctfphoto

I already have tuna bloodlines and cut up heads, greenback mackerels, and anchovies frozen and ready to go. The quickest way to cut up lobster bait is to use an AXE

Ready Mickey?

ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Nic D

how are the blood lines for lobster bait?

instagram - @DRAGO619
Nic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic D View Post
how are the blood lines for lobster bait?
This will be the first time I am trying tuna. I expect the bloodlines to work fantastic!

I will test the tuna in two hoops and the regular bait in the other three as a test.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
mclanea

I see my hoops every time I head out to the backyard. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 AM   #6
T Bone

Tuna is oily and works great.An axe would work good.I have a meat cleaver that I use.I am going to load up five cages and freeze them too,

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

Bait

I really like mixing up the bait in my tubes or bait cages...I'll mix Macks, and Tuna bloodlines with Bonita heads and trimmings, then I usually pour some additives on the bait cages once they are in the ziplock bags. Then I'll freeze them and leave them semi-frozen until I drop them. I really think the scent/additives work...I've done some tests with scent only with the GoPro camera and it works. With scent only the critters won't stay in the net but they will go in there to check it out.

Menhadden oil is good, so is Salmon oil, although its pricy...this Crab and Shrimp Fuel by Pautzke is affordable and it works. It's about $10 a bottle.

Save those tuna heads and bloodlines...there were a few Skipjack in the counts the last week...if you can get your hands on any of these bloody Tunas...you'll be on your way to a limit of Bugs.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
roadx

check, froze whole yellow fin tuna carcass for bug bait.
last year was a very good year just using mackerel and sardines. sometimes little catfood.
always fun and relaxing.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
SoCalCJ

Hi Jim / Saba Slayer,

Curious on you insight as to the warmer water affecting the crawl this year? Do you think it has any impact? Will we have to be setting deep?

Thanks
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

warm water

This warm water year should have the Bugs up in shallow water at the start of the season up until about November when they should move deeper. The season before last, SD kicked butt on the counts in the Bay. It was a warm water year...lets hope that the Bay is as active this season. Almost 21% of the total catch was from SD Bay and Zuniga Jetty.

Location # Location Name Percent of Catch
1 – 18 - San Diego Bay 16%
2 - 1 - Catalina Island 12.4%
3 – 57 - Pt. Vicente up to King Harbor 8.0%
4 – 17 - Zuniga Jetty 5.4%
5 – 64 - Santa Monica up to Malibu Pt. 5.0%
6 – 3 - Santa Cruz Island 4.7%
7 – 61 - King Harbor up to Santa Monica 3.8%

Warm Water = Bugs crawling and eating...

Good Luck this Season!

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 09-01-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #11
mclanea

I've watched some videos on how to do it... but as a rookie would you guys suggest taking a couple dry runs to get used to managing the gear? Feels like it'd be better to learn how to do that in the daylight than at night.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclanea View Post
I've watched some videos on how to do it... but as a rookie would you guys suggest taking a couple dry runs to get used to managing the gear? Feels like it'd be better to learn how to do that in the daylight than at night.

Keep an eye on when Jim "Saba Slayer" Salazar will be doing his seminars.

Dry run? why not catch some crab while you are practicing?
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #13
MissileTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclanea View Post

Read Jim's book. He knows his stuff!
MissileTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:32 AM   #14
Von_Vaughn
Junior

When you pull them out of the net where are you keeping them? A buddy wants to try hoop and skin diving for bugs this season. I just dont know how long they can keep or where to keep them until I get them into a boiling pot. Also one forum recommends ripping the tails off and just keeping those in a bucket.
Von_Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von_Vaughn View Post
When you pull them out of the net where are you keeping them? A buddy wants to try hoop and skin diving for bugs this season. I just dont know how long they can keep or where to keep them until I get them into a boiling pot. Also one forum recommends ripping the tails off and just keeping those in a bucket.

You can rip off & keep just the tails if you want your run in with DFW to be really unpleasant. Determining legal size is done by measuring the carapace. Keeping just the tail would eliminate your ability to demonstrate that they are legal size.

You can keep them in a mesh dive bag, bait tank or let them crawl around topside or in your hull. Or just put them in a bucket. Dont keep them in water unless it is circulating. The waste buildup will not be good for their health or flavor
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

Newbee

mclanea...PM sent.
I'll check with the moderators...and if it's OK, I'll post a list of seminar venues for you newbees.

I agree 100% with what Sean said..."Dry run? why not catch some crab while you are practicing?"
Although you may have to use longer ropes for Crab (depending where in So. Cal. you are hooping) DAYTIME hooping for Crabs is a great way to gain confidence and learn how to use your gear. It's pretty intimidating to get out there in the dark at night for the first time with all that rope and floats and lights and all. Especially at the start of the season when its more crowded.

"When you pull them out of the net where are you keeping them? A buddy wants to try hoop and skin diving for bugs this season"
If you guys work together don't mix your Bugs... keep the two limits separate on each kayak. You can just throw the lobsters in the kayak hatch...although you and the warden could have a hell of a time getting them out to be checked...A dive bags works good (put them in tail first) a bucket with a top, or your live well is probably the best place to keep them fresh and alive.

"I just dont know how long they can keep or where to keep them until I get them into a boiling pot."
Keep them moist and cool and they will stay alive for a day or two.

"Also one forum recommends ripping the tails off and just keeping those in a bucket."
Whatever forum that is... please tell them that they are setting themselves up for a Very Big DFW Ticket ! !
29.90(e) states..."Spiny Lobsters shall be kept in a whole, measurable condition, until being prepared for immediate consumption."
IMHO...Unless your on the "DFW most wanted list" I think you should be safe once home, to "rip the tails off" and store them in your freezer.