Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
TDunk
Junior

Question Kayak Demo tomorrow

So, I've been stalking BWE for 2 years saving up some coin to get into the sport, and I'm finally ready to pull the trigger. I'm a bigger dude 6'2" 250lbs. and need something that will fit my fat ass. I'm going to demo a new hobie outback tomorrow. Am looking for any suggestions on what to look for, or tests to put myself/kayak through in order to make sure this is a good fit for me. Any input would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance for any useful tips or comments.
I just want to let you regulars on here know
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #2
DanaPT

good choice to demo. move around, crawl to open hatches, lean over. I wouldn't expect to stand unless you wanted to jump in the drink and remount. try to imagine what it'd be like sitting in that seat for 4-12 hours.

outback= super stable

welcome.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

I'd lean in it, turn and sit side-saddle, test access to front hatch and tankwell, paddle it for a bit(not a necessity but always helpful if the drive fails), and make sure everything is laid out within reach and not a hindrance to functionality. Just my $0.02

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
cell128
lizard king

I just started too. I'm 5'6" 165 lbs. I went with the Hobie sport because I could fit it into my truck easier but the outback sounds better and safer if you want to haul it around. Check out the revo too I found one on Craig list a few days ago it might still be available.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
cell128
lizard king

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
I just started too. I'm 5'6" 165 lbs. I went with the Hobie sport because I could fit it into my truck easier but the outback sounds better and safer if you want to haul it around. Check out the revo too I found one on Craig list a few days ago it might still be available.

Edit: I don't think its the same one but it comes with a live well and turbofins. Only thing its in San Diego
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/boa/4428339638.html

cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
TDunk
Junior

success

Demo went well this AM, I'm sold! The outback is far more stable than I imagined. I was also able to stand in it, and re-enter without issues. access to all areas was no problem. Thanks for the advice, and I'll be seeing you guys on the water soon.
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Demo went well this AM, I'm sold! The outback is far more stable than I imagined. I was also able to stand in it, and re-enter without issues. access to all areas was no problem. Thanks for the advice, and I'll be seeing you guys on the water soon.

Good choice on the outback.
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Solid kayak, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote