Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #1
bigbarrels

Hobie Revo

Has there been significant changes in the 2011 Revo compared to the 2010? Getting ready to make the move in about 2.5-3 weeks.

Thanks in advance
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
bigbarrels

Answer #1

just found an answer:

Oversized Steering Handle for Precision Control – NEW FOR 2011!
Up and Down Rudder Control System
Flotation to Meet NMMA Certification Requirements – NEW FOR 2011!
Rear Cargo Storage Area
Deluxe High-profile Plug-in Seatbacks with Inflatable Lumbar Support --
Deluxe Two-piece Paddle with Fiberglass Shaft --
Gear Bucket
Adjustable Seat Positioning to Accommodate Full Range of Kayakers
Scuppers Accept Plug-in Kayak Cart
On-Deck Receptacle with Cap for Sail Mast, Dive Flag, etc.
Cassette Plug for Drive Well
Molded-in Drink Holder
Molded-in Fishing Rod Holders with Caps
On-Hull Paddle Storage
Mesh-covered Stowage Pockets
Bungee® Tie Down Straps for Rear Cargo Area
Padeyes
Bow and Stern Carrying Handles
Water Bottle
Three Hatches:
● Oversized Forward Hatch
● Two 8” Twist and Seal Storage Hatches
Two Molded-in Mid-boat Carrying Grips
Low-Profile Working Tray
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
jorluivil

Ditto for me on the Hobie but I'm looking at the Outback.....Revo's a little to narrow for me. You buying new or used?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
bigbarrels

Most likely new.....that was my next question:

OUTBACK VS REVO?

stability or speed for La Jolla?

I fished on an OB in Baja for dorado and it felt as stable as my XFActor at the time......really enjoyed it but haven't peddled a Revo yet. Now I'm on an X-13 and so feel more comfortable with the narrow kayak and think I'm going with the speed over stability

Good luck on the OB
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 AM   #5
twitchy

I just took out my Outback for its first trip... I have also tested out the Revo...
I was on an X-Factor before and if you like being dry then the Outback is the call. The Revo was faster but not by miles... If comfort, stability and being high and dry are key for you, then the Outback is the ticket... I am sure once I get the turbo fins for my Outback I will be even more stoked.
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
I just took out my Outback for its first trip... I have also tested out the Revo...
I was on an X-Factor before and if you like being dry then the Outback is the call. The Revo was faster but not by miles... If comfort, stability and being high and dry are key for you, then the Outback is the ticket... I am sure once I get the turbo fins for my Outback I will be even more stoked.
turbo fins and sail rudder an absolute must night and day "got Hobie"
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
twitchy

I will get the rudder and turbo fins for sure... It seems to be the general consensus...
twitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post

thanks for your input, I have a tough decision to make in the next 2 weeks the OB seems like a better fishing platform......I guess I will need to go to OEX to test drive each one....
Old 04-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Deamon

I just switched from an Outback to a Revo. The Revo is faster and definitely tracks better. The Outback has more width so my small stuff like tackle box, ice chest, etc...tucks in the nooks better. Even though the Revo is more narrow, I haven't noticed any stability difference. I know come bug season, the Revo will be space challenging...
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
I just switched from an Outback to a Revo. The Revo is faster and definitely tracks better. The Outback has more width so my small stuff like tackle box, ice chest, etc...tucks in the nooks better. Even though the Revo is more narrow, I haven't noticed any stability difference. I know come bug season, the Revo will be space challenging...
This is one of the main reasons I'm considering the Outback. About the only similarity between hooping and fishing is that you're on the water. Much like fishing the placement of your gear is not only paramount to ones safety but is also the key to a successful bug hunt, I don't like to be fumbling around with gear at night, the more you move on the yak the greater your chances of tipping. Every time I went bugging I came home and realized that I need to tweak this, move that, add this and buy that and having a yak that limits your ability to take what you want can be the difference between a day of limits and a visit to the Ol'e Skunk factory.....just my $.02

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
MuddyMike

I have an Outback, and bought a Revo (for the woman ) ...

We took the Revo out today for the first time. After loosing a fin as soon as I launched, I was happy we were at Dana Landing so the guys at Fastlane saved the day with a quick replacement job.

First impressions were that it was noticeably faster, especially from a stop. It cuts through the water very clean.

It's definitely less stable than the Outback. I could see it being a lot easier to tip if you're not paying attention, although that's speaking relative to the Outback because I'm not sure how you could tip one of those very easily.

I ended up spending the day in it because she felt a lot more comfy in the Outback. It was kind of cool being able to hang my feet over each side, something I can't do in the OB.

I could have easily spent the day in either. They are 2 different animals though.

I can tell I'm going to have days where I have a hard time deciding which one to take out.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
Lets_Fish

Tom, I just recently made the decision between these two yaks. I used to fish from a Hobie Quest (much like the Revo in length and width, but without peddles) & Malibu X-13 like you now. If memory serves me correct, you do most of your fishing in La Jolla. Wind may be a factor for you and the Revo from what I have read will handle that much better (lower profile) than the Outback (think cargo ship). The Revo does track better than the Outback, but with the sailing rudder I have found that the Outback does fairly well in my opinion. Storage also needs to be considered. The Outback has slightly more than the Revo.

I went with the Outback for stability for my fat butt and the storage. This may or may not be an issue for you since you fish the X-13 you know what limited storage is. Go test them out specially on a slightly windy afternoon to see which you prefer. Good luck on your pick!
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbarrels View Post
thanks for your input, I have a tough decision to make in the next 2 weeks the OB seems like a better fishing platform......I guess I will need to go to OEX to test drive each one....
Revo!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
FARRIER

Tom welcome to the darkside! Now enjoy your beer and peddle at the same time. Twitchy before you get the big sailing rudder and put it on. It makes it much harder to stow and deploy your rudder and at such low speeds as in a kayak i think the difference will be almost none in performance.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
driftwood

The Revo is kinda like this on water.... ENJOY!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=4TshFWSsrn8&vq=medium#t=35
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #16
roadx

i guess this is a revo on top of a yellowtail huh??

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

Cool video......

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
bigbarrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post

I think I'm sold......thanks to everybody for all the info
Old 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #19
toby

Somehow I knew that guy was headed to Costco for the buy 4Tires get $70 off deal.

Why would my dad tell me to never drive like that when you can have that much fun!
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Regor
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
This is one of the main reasons I'm considering the Outback. About the only similarity between hooping and fishing is that you're on the water. Much like fishing the placement of your gear is not only paramount to ones safety but is also the key to a successful bug hunt, I don't like to be fumbling around with gear at night, the more you move on the yak the greater your chances of tipping. Every time I went bugging I came home and realized that I need to tweak this, move that, add this and buy that and having a yak that limits your ability to take what you want can be the difference between a day of limits and a visit to the Ol'e Skunk factory.....just my $.02
I spent the last month of this bug season hooping on the Revo. And like you, every post-bugging session was a tweak here and there. I've got the Revo set up just about how I like it. I only use 4 hoops, and I'm not sure I will go to 5, but I don't think that is a big loss.

A couple things to keep in mind if your buying the yak with a heavy lobster season in mind. I only went in the bays and jetties for hooping, never out in the open (say LJ).

The Revo is 28.5 wide at it's widest point. Storing your nets will only be in the front or back, where it's even narrower. I carry mine on the front, where the Revo measurements are between 10"-24". Consider that the hoops are 36" and yes, the Revo is a bit tipsy. ( another reason I'm only carrying 4 nets).

If you go with the Revo, I'll PM you my setup to give you a head start on your setup.

Good luck with the decision.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote