Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-24-2016, 09:47 PM   #1
JeffB

Lake Havasu, not yak...

The little one is getting to big to get out on the yak with me, so we have been doing a lot more fishing out of the boat this year. I haven't really had a chance to do much the last 3-4months due to work. Those 65-70hr weeks have been killing. I have been feeling really bad lately bc I have been neglecting David of dad and son time, so I decided just the two of us would get away.

I've been dying to get out to Havasu for quite some time now. I've been itching to catch a Cali Smallie. So I planned out a trip to get in a couple good days of fishing in right before spending Thanksgiving with family from OK visiting Laughlin. I only managed one day due to weather, but was able to make it count. My son and I grabbed a pack of night crawlers on the way out in the morning. I knew the lake had some big gills in it, so I needed a back up plan just in case fishing was slow. I gotta keep the little guy entertained.
I started off fishing points wit a lot of follow ups on small schools of smallies. Every time I would get hit, they would just mouth it. They were not quite committed to it. I still managed to catch a handful of smallies, but nothing big. I used so many techniques that kill it up in the northern states for me and back home, but it had no effect on these fish. Drop shot seemed to be key as well as topwater and jerk baits. I did catch a few on shad raps as well. After a tough bite and a good half day of smallmouth fishing I switched gears. I hit a spot I knew was going to hold good fish and it paid off.

I set up shop on our new spot and fished the wall. Caught a few smallmouth and a couple tiny stripper. I switched up a little bit after marking bait and a couple schools of fish and scored a couple of nice red ears. Light bulb went off in my head and set up a heavy drop shot and threw on a big night crawler. As fast as it hit the bottom my son was on. Big 2lb 14oz red ear!!! After that I sat down and held the boat in place with the trolling motor and watched him catch fish after fish for an hour and a half straight. I enjoyed every second of it. After a bit I asked him if I could catch one. I couldn't take it anymore. It was such a blast. The sun started to lay and I started throwing a top water again.

The striper came out and made it a fun night. They were not busting up top, but I could see them cruising all over underneath me. I had a bunch of fish exploding on the top water. All the striper were from 1.5# up to 5#. Nothing huge, but it was a blast. I managed about a 5.5# large mouth as well. After about an hour into the darkness, we called it quits. We managed about 12 bass, 20 striper, and probably 50+ gills. It was fun. I can not wait to go back. Next time I may try and find someone interested in tagging along.

I hope you all enjoy the pix! Happy Thanksgiving!
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffB; 11-24-2016 at 09:55 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #2
JeffB

red ear

red ear
Attached Images

Last edited by JeffB; 11-24-2016 at 10:01 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
kirkdavis

Awesome!

That is what memories are made of. Your son will tell his grandkids about fishing with Dad!
kirkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Southman

Jeff,
Always enjoy reading your posts. I know the spot your were fishing well and had no idea the bluegill could get that big. The striper bite there can be awesome when they're running and chasing down shad. This time of year there's little boat traffic which makes it even more doable.

After seeing Iceman's post on his river trip and reading yours, it's definitely something I'm going to put on my agenda and take the yak up there. Cruising in and out of the coves fishing the shelves for LMB and smallies is so relaxing and fun.

Watching your son catch a bunch of fish had to be rewarding. So many of us have memories of doing the same thing when we were young. For me it was with my grandpa fishing local lakes and the the Socal coastline.

Great job getting out on the water with your son. If you have any desire to adopt another kid, say a crusty 64 year old one, let me know!

Southman
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
Fishin Phil

father son time..... Priceless!
Old 11-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice....

Reminds me of a time my dad took me to the river as a lad.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Iceman
Administrator

very cool, smiles for miles!
Old 11-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
david886720

Great post! Love taking my son out to fish as well. Your son must've been stoked on that WO bite. Those are huge panfish!
david886720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #9
2-Stix

the kid has the pro pose down with the fish!
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 11:28 AM   #10
ultimatejay

Those red ears are huge! They fight really hard too, fun to catch on light tackle
ultimatejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #11
Geno Machino
"Relax"

Priceless!

Thank for sharing such a cool time with your boy. I believe that's the biggest bluegill I've ever seen. Sounded like a lot of fun. Memories for sure!