Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
sdfisher

In due time...

good things come to those who wait. I don't know if I always agree with this but when it comes to kayak fishing for me I think it has some relevance.

When I first bought my kayak two years ago fresh out of college and ready to get back into fishing, I thought that I was going to go out and slay some WSB and yellowtail just like Johnny Ceviche in his youtube videos. I found out really soon that this fishing thing is not as easy as it looks and, believe it or not, can take a lot of time to learn.

I went a whole year fishing LJ before I caught my first target species, which was a 53lb halibut. I went another year before catching my first WSB. In between that time I read all of the tips and articles on BWE about ten times, tried all different kinds of rigs and techniques, and even called THE DARKHORSE. But I work in the non-profit field and his guide services, though very well worth the money, were just not in my budget. So I just kept on fishing, talking to people at the launch and on the water, and got lucky. last month I caught my first WSB, a smaller model, only 28lbs but boy was it delicious and felt good to finally get one! persistence pays off.

this month I caught it's big sister.

43lbs 49 inches

On the way out I noticed my drain plug on the bow of my boat was still open, a PB'er closed it for me, told me where all the bait was and I went on my way. Made bait, decided I wanted to try a spot I had saved in my gps a while ago, and headed over to it. about 20 minutes later I was hooked up and ready to head in. Thanks to Kenny Lee for the on the water shot!
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote