Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
DanaPT

DP Headlands. . .

Today was a great day to be on the water. Weather was awesome.

On my way out noticed serious bird activity out in front of the Headlands. Probably the biggest bait ball I've seen so far. Made the fish finder go completely dark as the bait swam under the yak.

NO problems making bait. The bait balls seemed to stick around the entire time I was out.

I can probably use a few pointers, had a couple of small bendo's but no fish. So far, I think I need to use a trap rig more often and remember to not try and set a circle hook.

I did manage one small Calico on the IRON. Released.
Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
flydigital

Sounds like you are going for halibut...

I worked DP for the past 2 years fishing 2-3 times per week trying to get it down with some success. Well, I haven't really fished all this winter though, but about to get back in the water.

I won't share too much here (pm me if you want) but my advice is to change your rigging/approach each time you go out until you have good success both getting strikes and hooking them. Then stick with that approach and fish it hard.

Halibut fishing is hard and there is lots of luck involved, but really you just need to be doing the things that will yield highest % success, do it often enough, and you're going to nail em. You are fishing the right area it sounds like so just keep at it and keep experimenting.. don't keep doing the same thing if it is not working out... keep trying something new until it does.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote