Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
FISH11

La Jolla 5-26-15

Since the rush to get out after the Yellowtail in La Jolla has already started and been going for days. I thought it wouldn't hurt at this point. So here is a video from last Tuesday at La Jolla. I didn't want to be there for the Memorial Day holiday because of the crowds so I went out on Tuesday and much like the week earlier bait was everywhere but hard to catch. After making enough bait I went out to start trolling a greenback and after about 20 minutes I get hit and start the fight to get the Yellow out of the kelp he took me into after about almost 10 minutes of pulling and cutting through the bull kelp, the line pops and I find that since I had switched my leader to Seaguar pink label fluorocarbon 40lbs which is much thinner the mod albright knot didn't hold. I retied making sure this time I used 7 turns in each direction instead of 5. Problem solved because I was able to pull the next 3 hook ups right out of the bull kelp. That is a new personal best. Two weeks before it was 2 yellows and now it's 3 on the Kayak. Super stoked! The fish were 20.6lbs, 19.75lbs and 19.25lbs. Unfortunately the only thing is in the video I made some mistake with the Go Pro remote and it didn't record the second fish. I just have the picture afterwards for the proof. Now I still have the goal of catching one over 30lbs. https://youtu.be/f7B39QR2PO4
Attached Images

Last edited by FISH11; 05-31-2015 at 11:00 AM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #2
tanners
Junior

Congrats! That's a fantastic haul! How long of a leader do you run? Is it straight from braid in a kelp cutter rig or connected to mono?
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
King Saba

Awesome job! I've found that the more turns for your spectra to fluoro connections give a better hold and less slippage.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:12 AM   #4
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanners View Post
Congrats! That's a fantastic haul! How long of a leader do you run? Is it straight from braid in a kelp cutter rig or connected to mono?
I have my reels spooled with 65lb braid and then put a 5' to 6' fluorocarbon leader. If I'm going to run some kind of drop down rig I use a 3 way swivel at the braid to leader connection. I attach the weigh with a 30lb mono section using a snap type of connector so I can change the weight size easy and if it gets caught I can pull hard enough to break off the mono.

Last edited by FISH11; 05-31-2015 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Awesome job! I've found that the more turns for your spectra to fluoro connections give a better hold and less slippage.
When I was using 50lb Fluorocarbon the diameter was larger and it was no problem. Using the 40lb Seaguar is thinner and when I only used 5 turns in each direction the fluorocarbon leader pulled out after pulling super hard on the line for about 5 minutes out of the 10 minute fight. It looked like the knot was still together and compact but the fluorocarbon leader tag end had just pulled through. It seem like with thinner diameter you need more surface area to have a firm hold on the fluorocarbon. It's not very hard to just do two more turns in each direction. Unfortunately it took loosing a really good size Yellowtail that would have made it a 4 Yellow day, to learn that leason.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
When I was using 50lb Fluorocarbon the diameter was larger and it was no problem. Using the 40lb Seaguar is thinner and when I only used 5 turns in each direction the fluorocarbon leader pulled out after pulling super hard on the line for about 5 minutes out of the 10 minute fight. It looked like the knot was still together and compact but the fluorocarbon leader tag end had just pulled through. It seem like with thinner diameter you need more surface area to have a firm hold on the fluorocarbon. It's not very hard to just do two more turns in each direction. Unfortunately it took loosing a really good size Yellowtail that would have made it a 4 Yellow day, to learn that leason.
Still, a 3 fish day is impressive. Live and learn.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Still, a 3 fish day is impressive. Live and learn.
I definitely agree and totally appreciate having been able to land the 3 especially since all the fish took me into the bull kelp. As you see in the video I had to use a lot of up and down motion to saw through the kelp and at times you can see when it cuts through because the pole jerks up as it cut through another stringer. That was by far the best day I have had on the kayak. I absolutely LOVE La Jolla!

Last edited by FISH11; 05-31-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
bigbarrels

Congrats on the nice catches!!
Old 05-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
Silbaugh4liberty
Fishing Patriot

Nice fish! Congrats
Old 05-31-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
captnblood34

Good job sir
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote