Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
Dail14

Mission Bay the one that got away

I launch from the beach next to OEX in Mission bay at around 6am and told myself that I would finally get a spinnerbait or crankbait fish. After a few hours I gave up and went back to the tried and true big hammers but even those were not working this morning. I eventually thought that maybe because the tide is still down that the fish are in deeper water so I decide to switch spots and troll the big hammer until I reach the new spot. Well about three strokes into the troll the rod goes bendo sending me scrambling to grab the rod from its holder and set the hook. I could feel that it was big but it came off seconds later. I retrieve the bait and half a second after the lure leaves the water a large hali that had probably grabbed the bait initially charges out of the water and does a Free Willie over me and lands on the opposite side of the kayak
A chance at my first hali and it escapes. After the shock wore off I tried fancasting to see if it was still there but no cigar. Called it a day at 11 due to the massive amounts of boats and jet-skiers making it near impossible to continue fishing. I only ended up catching a small guitarfish under the bridge between sail bay and mariners. Maybe next time that hali will be dinner.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Baja_Traveler

Snap! I would have loved to see that on video!!

In my mind a good story to tell is just as good as bringing them home...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
beef78
Large Member

I had a similar issue the other day. Frustrating!
Old 05-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #4
Dail14

The butt flying over your yak or continually coming off?
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote