Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Duckbutter619
Junior

Built my livewell

How's it going, new to the forum. My names trevor and I recently bought my first kayak. Went with the hobie pa14. Never really got into a lot of ocean fishing, mainly freshwater... but now that I have this I have been itching to get out into La Jolla kelp and hook some yellows. Anyways I've been doin some reasearch on what I need to start and decided to build a live well. Got a lot of ideas of the forum and YouTube. Used the battery box from oex on a pet food container. Couple pad eyes here and there and he tsunami 500 pump. Then gave her the old rattle can camo job. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks

Last edited by Duckbutter619; 08-28-2017 at 06:59 PM.
Duckbutter619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
jorluivil

Soooooooo, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you're a smoker of the herbs.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
driftwood

Old 08-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
Duckbutter619
Junior

HaHaha no but I'm going to repaint and gunna use a different stencile from the yard that doesn't resemble that.....
Duckbutter619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
jorluivil

I think it looks really cool, it's definitely a conversation piece

Old 08-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
Raskal311

I've messed around with those dog food containers before and I'll tell u a used hobie tank for $200 is worth the extra $$$
Old 08-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #7
TJones

x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I've messed around with those dog food containers before and I'll tell u a used hobie tank for $200 is worth the extra $$$
I built a really nice pet food container bait tank. I ordered a lot of the same parts from the hobie catalog including straps/ buckles, and intake. I installed pad eyes with stainless bolts, triple rod holder, handle, etc., etc. . needless to say the parts total quickly adds up. I am very pleased with the final product especially because it utilizes the scupper hole for the intake tube which has very little to no drag. but you already spent a fortune on your yak and will be that much happier doing it right with a new tank. one that can provide years of service. tight lines.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
FullFlavorPike

But DIY is 80% of the fun. It ain't always about the loot.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I totally agree and I'm very handy with this type of diy. I have a lot of experience in aquarium work. The main reason why I went with a hobie is because of low profile hobie tank. Low and round is much better then tall and square. if you are patient you'll find them on Craigslist for $150.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
fourtogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckbutter619 View Post
How's it going, new to the forum. My names trevor and I recently bought my first kayak. Went with the hobie pa14. Never really got into a lot of ocean fishing, mainly freshwater... but now that I have this I have been itching to get out into La Jolla kelp and hook some yellows. Anyways I've been doin some reasearch on what I need to start and decided to build a live well. Got a lot of ideas of the forum and YouTube. Used the battery box from oex on a pet food container. Couple pad eyes here and there and he tsunami 500 pump. Then gave her the old rattle can camo job. Let me know what y'all think. Thanks
Ray Charles see no pic .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
fourtogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I Agree a Hobie purchase isn't cheap new or used . Hobie catalog has a ton stuff , but Hobie doesn't build all that stuff ether . DYI is what makes adventure fun and it's a learning experience. 400$ for bait tank is insane . 1 rotor molded tank a pump a switch and power along with a very small amount of pvc pipe bungees and you have a tank . DYI all over the net for projects or your Kayak .
fourtogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourtogo View Post
Ray Charles see no pic .
Damn you guys are brutal. He had pics but took them off. Must of been all the critiquing. It looked nice too
Old 08-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #13
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
Damn you guys are brutal. He had pics but took them off. Must of been all the critiquing. It looked nice too
Stoners in the group saw the leaf outline, which I saw as a Japanese Maple, as something very different.

The camo pattern looked very cool. One thing to consider though is that lighter colors reflect heat better while darker will heat up faster
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
darker will heat up faster
Extra flavory boiled lizardfish
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 12:41 PM   #15
octico

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Saba View Post
That was not brutal ....
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
GTboosted

Its not the design but the worn paint that will look bad after a short while.

I do agree with others though. Its good to diy but the Hobie Livewell is the business. After I adjusted the intake, it self primes in a few seconds and I've had no other issues since.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #17
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTboosted View Post
Its not the design but the worn paint that will look bad after a short while.

I do agree with others though. Its good to diy but the Hobie Livewell is the business. After I adjusted the intake, it self primes in a few seconds and I've had no other issues since.
With the other kayaks I had, I always built the Small Vittles Dog food container with the over the side pump, built in battery box, but using a drain tube instead of holes on the side for the drainage. I built 3 different ones and got great deals on the Tsunami 500 pump kit with aerator fittings and hose for about $43 at Walmart. In each case I only saved around $40 on each and it was the fun of doing it and trying different positions for pump or drains. But when I got a Hobbie Revo 13, I used 1 for a while and then having the $ I decided to buy the Hobie bait tank, it works great, just had to get some stainless screen material with the correct size opening and shove it in the intake hose,so as to not have a constant eel grass in the motor impeller problem every trip out to LJ. The only real pain I see is when I have to use the plug in wheelez the bait tank can't be in the right place and if you are using the tank's rod holder for your gear, it is extra work to get ready to launch. That is why I love being able to drive onto the sand at LJ.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #18
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
Stoners in the group saw the leaf outline, which I saw as a Japanese Maple, as something very different.

The camo pattern looked very cool. One thing to consider though is that lighter colors reflect heat better while darker will heat up faster
Agreed. Quick glance at the leaf outline screamed maple leaf, but there will be the jokers who see it as the good stuff.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
King Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
That was not brutal ....
We just having fun. lol
Old 08-29-2017, 05:05 PM   #20
jorluivil

Did you really remove the pic because of what I said?