Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #1
swinginFish

Intel on LJ bonita

Seeking Intel on LJ bonita. Last few go out the few I got were small and schooling with greenbacks. Pretty much target YT &/or WSB when fishing LJ, but love to bring in decent size bonita at end of trip (meat goes mushy if in hull too long). So, simply want to know if bigger units have found their way to the ends of LJ lines these last few days.

Thanks,

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Pocoloco

Caught one on iron last week. Was around 24" and thought it was a YT.
Lots of fun
Pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:36 AM   #3
fisher_4_life

I took my skiff out last Friday and caught 6 Bonita, two of which were huge. They were all caught slow trolling sardines. I realize this wasn't from a kayak but figured it might help to answer your question.
fisher_4_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
Dannowar

Shot a 30" a few weeks back right outside the mlpa off the point. Right at the kelp line.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
RK

lots around the kelp right now avery
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
FISH11

Talking LJ Bonita

They're fun to catch, tuff to keep alive in a live well. But when I think of La Jolla Bonita, this is the one that comes to mind.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #7
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Does Raquel Welsh live in La Jolla?

I guess so.

Does she fish from a kayak?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:53 PM   #8
yemff

I always seem to get them when I cast and retrieve, or troll a sabiki right by the kelp
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
ashmoz

The top one is a bointo I caught on saturday on a greenback! For reference, the yellows are about 17-20 lbs...
Attached Images

ashmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:44 PM   #10
2-Stix

we been getting bonito up in the la/vta county area. i had some seared last night from a tuesday catch. good stuff, great sashimi if you get it on ice fast.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
FISH11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
Does Raquel Welsh live in La Jolla?

I guess so.

Does she fish from a kayak?
Not sure were she lives now, but she went to my alma matter La Jolla High School, although a few years before I did. Not kayak related but it sure could be a fun weekend!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #12
Rav3n805

I caught some up in carslbad, nice size, and boy are they tasty!
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #13
LSmoot

I got a 26" Bonito in LJ last week. Trolling a mac.

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
LSmoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #14
Johnp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
They're fun to catch, tuff to keep alive in a live well. But when I think of La Jolla Bonita, this is the one that comes to mind.
First thought was "How old is she now" Born 1940 = 75
Old 09-02-2015, 09:51 PM   #15
swinginFish

Gracias!

Appreciated the info.
Did go out last Fri - noted in another post that after an early morning YT (and playing tag with that pesky hammerhead), got two very nice bonito before heading in. Bonito caught on mini GB's caught near kelp (size of sardines). PERFECT bonito bait - couldn't keep 'em away. Might hit it again manana - wondering about the bait situation.
Avery
Old 09-02-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
fishja

Bait was easy at pier this morning... We caught 13 bonito on mini macks... Biggest was about 10#'s. Good practice fights for the lady!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fishja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #17
PapaDave

I found a school of the larger variety last Saturday. Got 5 in the 24 inch range trolling a small Rapala or Lucky Craft on light line about 100 yards outside of the kelp line. Closer in the bones were smaller.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2015, 11:09 AM   #18
Fomen

Mushy fish

I've always found this to be a problem with pelagic species of fish that get too warm after they have been killed. You can bleed them out, but you have to keep them COLD to prevent this from happening. This is tough on a kayak because you don't want to haul around a cooler with ice in it. It makes the kayak top heavy, and it takes up too much space (which is already at a premium on the small deck of the kayak). Kill bags work GREAT for overcoming this issue. They are large enough to hold just about anything you will catch locally on a kayak, and they are insulated very well. If you toss in a couple of ice blocks (like a couple of frozen 2 liter water bottles) you will be set for HOURS! Just bleed out your fish for a couple of minutes, toss it inside the bag, and zip it shut. The bag will also contain any residual blood that comes out (which has apparently been an issue lately with shark sightings), so you're not slowly leaking out a blood trail behind you. If you have an access hatch on your kayak, you can roll it up with the fish inside, and store it inside of the kayak making room on the deck. This is what I use, and it ABSOLUTELY helps in preventing the mush from occurring. Just my $.02
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
swinginFish

... another $.02

For what it's worth, gotta say bonito meat, if kept cold, is the best sashimi I/my family's ever had (okay, so ya gotta cut out all the dark meat), and dare say we get our share of fresh and varietal fish for the purpose.

Have also found it good to put small fillets in vacuum packed backs (with salt, pepper) and freeze. When wanted, just defrost, then boil the meat in the still-sealed bag for about 10 mins. I/we use the cooked meat as the main ingredient for "tuna" salad and, again, it's unsurpassed in flavor and texture.

Avery
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
Fomen

I agree wholeheartedly! There are several fish that people consider to be "trash" that are under rated for their table fare. Bonito is one of them. Another is barracuda. You have to treat it just like the bonito. As soon as you catch it (if it's over 28" of course), bleed it. I typically go the murder scene route, and rip the gills. Then I'll make a cut down to the bone by the base of the tail. Fish have an artery that runs bow to stern, and near the base of the tail is where it's at it's most shallow. By bleeding from both ends, the job is quick and efficient. As soon as it's bled out, get it on ice (ASAP). For years I heard people tell me that barracuda was trash. Then one day I got into a mess of them- big LOGS! I was going to throw them back, and my buddy stopped me and told me to eat them. I told him, "I heard they are nasty", to which he replied, "Don't believe everything you hear. Don't knock it till you try it." I have to be honest, and some people on here might think I'm crazy- but I think it might be my favorite fish to eat. Barracuda fish tacos are AMAZING!!!!! It's moist, flaky, and delicious! If you're reading this, and you've never eaten a barracuda, the next time you catch a legal sized one, DO NOT throw it back. It has a bloodline just like tuna and YT. Bleed it, get it on ice, and cut out the dark meat when you fillet it. You will be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it is.
Fomen is offline   Reply With Quote