Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
umtduckhead

avet sx

Do you all think the avet SX will work for a bait stick? or is it too small? im hearing people complain about how light the 9lb drag is and how its just too small for fish out here. any imput?
umtduckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

It will be fine as a live bait reel. That said, if you use Avets on a kayak, I hope you like to break down, and clean your reels after each trip.

I have 2 speed Avet reel, and love it, but I don't use in on the kayak, because I have little time for proper maintenance.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
deepdvr

Avet's are great. I use lefty equipment so I don't have much in the way of decent choices. My MXJ has been used on the yak 9 months without servicing and is still working perfectly. The SX is a perfect live bait/kelp cutter reel. String up 65lb. braid and you'll have plenty of line. I've never been close to needing more drag and I never have the drag maxed out. My SX has handled a very upset 55lb. WSB without any issues.

My only suggestion would be to get the MC option as it does make casting much easier and allows you to dial in the resistance of the bait clicker.

I think they are on sale right now. I'm thinking of picking up another SX MC.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Gino

I just got a lefty SX Ive put 5 trips so far on it, no problems. And I puit alot of abuse on my gear.

I spooled mine with 200 yards even of 65lb green izorline. great reel
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
umtduckhead

right on guys.. so does the MC make a HUGE difference on this small of a reel? i would figure if you have like a JX or something close to that large the MC would really help controlling the heavy spool.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Hey shows what I know!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
THE DARKHORSE

I've never owned an Avet, but I've had the pleasure of landing a few fish on them. Great little reels. The SX has plenty of line capacity (with straight spectra), not to mention plenty of drag to finish the job. If need be, just like when I'm fishing say a Penn 500, I can add as much drag as I want with my thumb. Problem solved.

In my humble opinion, I can't see the purpose in the magic cast feature for a bait set-up. You shouldn't be casting your bait on a kayak in the first place. Save that extra hundred bucks for another rod or reel.

If buying an Avet for your jig-stick, Magic Cast all the way! Spend that extra money, because you're going to need that feature for tossing the iron on an Avet.

Also, a bit confused on people saying they wouldn't fish an Avet on a kayak. I understand they have a tendency to gum up if you get them wet. Makes sense---I hear there's salt in that water. The fact is, my reels don't get wet when I fish in La Jolla. If you can simply keep them from getting wet while going through the surf, what's the difference from fishing your Avet off a skiff? I don't get it.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #8
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
Also, a bit confused on people saying they wouldn't fish an Avet on a kayak. I understand they have a tendency to gum up if you get them wet. Makes sense---I hear there's salt in that water. The fact is, my reels don't get wet when I fish in La Jolla. If you can simply keep them from getting wet while going through the surf, what's the difference from fishing your Avet off a skiff? I don't get it.
The Avets I had gummed up every trip, I had them in flush mounts, they got splashed most launches, even LJ, or from swell and chop. Also, my Tarpon 160i was pretty low profile.

My Jigmasters, Toriums, TLD, and especially Sealines never had any problems. I used AVETS about 5 or so years ago, so maybe they have changed their design to be less wet. I currenlty have an new LX 2 speed, it is a great reel. My older AVETS needed lots of love, like I said what the hell do I know.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
kayakhunter

I use a SX and a MXJ for bait fishing and love them. Just rinse them off good with freshwater after each trip and you should be good. I have even eaten %$@# landing in the surf, completely submerged them in salty sandy water and they are fine.
kayakhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
lamb

I got mostly Avets, I'm lefty... Got MXLs, MXjs, SXs, LXs, single speed and two speeds. I didn't find them to be gumming up after every single trip on a kayak, but I had to do cleanup and greasing/oiling if I wanted to keep 'em running smooth. I have been taking them apart for a clean up and tune up maybe every few months, and that's with at least once (often two) times a week fishing schedule. Great thing about Avets - it's really easy! I always keep a stock of extra bearings (comes down to 2 sizes), replace 'em when they wear out, just oil 'em if in a good shape.

Another thing - in the past, I was always rinsing them with water. What I learned from D50 here on BWE (and what my laziness contributed to), latelyI have not been rinsing them with fresh water. It seems to make no difference - my Avets are fine for a few months! This is mostly using them on a skiff though.

Chris I think it's true that with newer models Avets seem to be better when it comes to how often you need to do the maintenance.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
deepdvr

Quote:

In my humble opinion, I can't see the purpose in the magic cast feature for a bait set-up. You shouldn't be casting your bait on a kayak in the first place. Save that extra hundred bucks for another rod or reel.

If buying an Avet for your jig-stick, Magic Cast all the way! Spend that extra money, because you're going to need that feature for tossing the iron on an Avet.
The MC option is $40 more and with the current sale you get MC for the regular price. I agree you won't do much, if any, casting if you use it as a bait setup. But, the clicker is very weak on the SX and Larry Laumann said it perfectly that he usually ends up putting the reel just in gear with the clicker on. I'm not a big fan of doing that, thus spending $200 for an SX MC seems like a good way to go.

If you go MXJ, that clicker without MC seems to be fine.

I have a JX MC that I use on my jigstick and I can cast it without thumbing and no backlashing on MC setting 4. With setting 3 I just have to keep my thumb ready and rarely if ever have an issue.

On another note, why are you on the boards so much Josh??? Shouldn't you be fishing or something? Don't tell me you're on a sabbatical.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
mwm

Although I don't fish as often as many of you, I think the SX is one of the best reels out there. Small and light but can easily handle a big YT and give you a great fight. I've only had problems with a used one I bought, but once cleaned and bearings changed no issues since.
mwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
THE DARKHORSE

"On another note, why are you on the boards so much Josh??? Shouldn't you be fishing or something? Don't tell me you're on a sabbatical." [/QUOTE]

Ha! Until yesterday, I haven't been on this board for two weeks. Since I get to fish 200+ times a year, I'm on my other boards whenever I can. Or whenever the appropriate conditions present themselves. Like my brand new 6' 2" I picked up yesterday---when there's a firing South swell (right now) I surf---when you have to go to work (everyday), I fish!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Where is this Avet sale everyone is talking about? I need another 2speed for tuna this summer.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
ken aguilar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Where is this Avet sale everyone is talking about? I need another 2speed for tuna this summer.
yes where is this sale!!! I need more stuff
ken aguilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
umtduckhead

awesome thanks for the replys.. a Holy and Ken i believe the sale is

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrAvet.htm

also squidco has awesome deals
Old 06-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
umtduckhead

http://www.charkbait.com/specials.htm#Special_2
Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
deepdvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
Every retailer. Its an Avet sale but there is no specified end date. $40 off any single/2 speed SX, MXJ or MXL. MC or no MC. This is basically the same deal as the Fred Hall pricing.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:50 PM   #19
WahooUSMA

Quote:

I agree there's salt in that water- I own a 'few' Avets and they are great reels. Chevy vs Ford shit. My only failure on an Avet was with my SX recently. Just goofing around and hooked into a fairly large Thresher. Smoked my bearings. Other than that, no problemos.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #20
Gino

THE LONGFIN In Orange off Chapman has them with the new sale price as well. They give you a good discount on line if its spooled there as well.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote