Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
EastLosYaker

LJ Concern

When launching from La Jolla by myself, I am concerned about leaving my gear on the beach unattended while I drive my truck to the parking lot. Is there a more secure way of doing this that I am not thinking of? Or, are the people of La Jolla just that honest(or loaded $$) that I don't have to worry about people taking my gear? I know it's best to take a buddy to stay with the stuff, but unfortunately I don't know too many kayak fisherman. All my friends think I'm crazy! Thanks for any pointers. Oh, and if anyone is interested in fishing LJ this Thursday, this would solve my problem.
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #2
gary sullivan

I would be concerned leaving my fishing gear without a trusted person to watch it while parking ten minutes away. Opportunist are everywhere so I recommend you carry your rods with you back to the beach and the same for your return, back to the car.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #3
ZepBonham

LJ Concern

Drag to north side of launch along the cones. Find a nice family to look over it. This world full of good people, they just don't stand out like the dirtbags.

Edit. I just re-read post...In the morning...yeah, tough one when solo. I second carrying your poles.
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastLosYaker View Post
unfortunately I don't know too many kayak fisherman. .
If you keep posting here you will meet a couple more. I'm sure there are plenty of guys here who would meet up and fish with you.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
619-SWIM-DOG

I usually launch early so I get prime parking, with that being said I always offload everything from my truck when I park and wheel it down to the water. My truck has not hit the beach yet. My home situation with my yak is different as I don't have a garage so I have to load up the kayak on site regardless of location.

Last edited by 619-SWIM-DOG; 09-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
jorluivil

If you fish alone just carry your wheels. I know its extra crap you have to carry but the pros out way the cons when you have your wheels with you.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #7
crazywakeboarder

I trailer my island and I only leave my kayak on the beach while I go park the trailer. I carry my two rods, mirage drive, and dry box with my phone wallet and keys in to and from the lot.

Its normally pretty empty when I launch early but when I come back in ive noticed a few homeless looking people around. I do the same thing in reverse when I come in. I carry all my stuff back to the parking lot. Anything expensive and easily carried off while im sure will eventually disappear if you leave it to chance
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
GregAndrew

Wheels you can break down or simply stow are your best option when nobody else is around. Otherwise, If you show up and find other yakkers on the beach it pays to offer to watch their stuff as they park for the same in return. If you are fishing during the week, get there early, take care of business before you unload and you should only be out of sight of your yak for a few minutes.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #9
Dannowar

Never had a problem even when parked super far away. Also used to lock my wheels to the wood pylons.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
bolocop

I usually carry my stuff, especially my turbo fins, not so much my fishing gear. But I forgot the fins at the launch while I walked to the truck and they were still there! Whew!
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
bmercury

Just use wheels and wheel the kayak and gear from your parking spot right to the beach. I do it every single time. Super easy and I have never once been tempted to drive out onto the sand. Don't leave your stuff sitting out unattended unless its something you are willing to lose.
bmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #12
svendawg

My plan

He's my plan if there are no other kayakers round. I have a PA-12
I have one of those bicycle cable locks with loops on both ends.
With the mirage drive seated in it mount, I'll put one loop around my mirage drive peddle upright, run the cable down through the mirage drive hole and bring the cable up to my Vantage chair, wrap the other loop around the chair and put a lock through the loop and on the cable. The length just fits so there is no loose cable. The way I run the cable it is pretty difficult to get the rods out of the rod storage if all the rods are together on one side
It's not fool proof but it's enough so that someone can not grab and run with my gear.
It should work for the amount of time it takes to park my truck and get back to the launch.
The key is not to linger at your car when you go park. Park and get back to your yak ASAP
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #13
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmercury View Post
Just use wheels and wheel the kayak and gear from your parking spot right to the beach. I do it every single time. Super easy and I have never once been tempted to drive out onto the sand. Don't leave your stuff sitting out unattended unless its something you are willing to lose.
Once I have my back surgery that's what I also intend to do! I have the Hobie Trax II, with the HOBIE tank (with 5 rod holders) in back with all the rods in the rod holders it should balance the weight out so not too front heavy! Fly rods rigged and placed in matching L/R front SCOTTY Fly Rod Holders faced backwards or broken down stored in through the front hatch & rigged OTW.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #14
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Always carry your stuff. Though this world is full of good people, it's usually the "wrong kind" that acts without invitation.

I park in that parking lot North of the launch and unload in there.

Then I roll South on the pedestrian path to the launch.
Sometimes I roll on the beach.
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

La Jolla full of baddies:

I carry my wheels, usually set mystuff on the sand wait till another kayaker comes by and ask him to watch my stuff then go park my car, I do the same while he goes park his car.

If you arrive at a weird time then wheel it.

I usually go back in with someone and do the same, I watch someone gear then I ask them to do the same for me when I go get my car.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
FISH11

I always launch early, drive onto the sand unload and set up the Yak except for the expensive easy to carry things (fish finder head, custom gaff, Go Pro, PDF and VHF Radio). I carry the small stuff from where I park my car back to the launch in a gear bag. It is a lot easier than wheeling a fully loaded Kayak all the way from the parking lot. I have had to do it , but if I can drive onto the sand I find it much easier. Always look around the beach and walkway for weirdos hanging out. Usually the only ones there if not while still dark are people jogging or walking. I have never had a problem. Then I don't have reels and rods worth many hundreds each. A lot of times there is someone else launching that is there so your stuff is not alone while parking the car.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:50 AM   #17
dmrides

Like many others have said: park and unload. Wheel your loaded yak to the launch. Then stow or lock your wheels to the wood pilings. Not only does no one steal your s#!t, the seagulls can't peck at your catch while you go get your car and you get to avoid many of the highly intellectual tourists questions.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #18
GregAndrew

Oh come on DM, the tourist questions are in the top 5 events that can occur at LJ. That and having stock answers that are as dumb as their questions.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #19
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
Oh come on DM, the tourist questions are in the top 5 events that can occur at LJ. That and having stock answers that are as dumb as their questions.
I know I am such a party pooper.
Yes I caught it in the ocean.
Yes I caught it from my kayak.
Yes I landed it by myself.
I was a mile and a half out.
No it's not a tuna.
That's called a bait tank.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #20
YakDout
Brandon

Do you eat that fish?