Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
ProfessorLongArms

Fish ID question, and PSA about Saba (Pacific Mac) Sushi

Hey All,

I was out fishing in the stretch of coast that shall not be named, and had a pretty wild experience....

In the 150+ column, I was getting bit on the flat fall almost every drop by these little guys. First time in 3 years. *looks* like a white seabass, though I've never caught one and heard they have stripes when juvenile.

Also, I caught a couple of salami sized greenbacks on the flatfall as well, and decided after seeing a recent Outdoor Chef Life to try prepping them for sushi.
Bled and spiked, right before putting on ice. Then a 1 hour salt cure + 30 min vinegar cure.
I couldn't get the pinbones out like he did, so I just opted to cut out the bloodline altogether. Waaay milder without it.

A lot healthier than most of the fish we pull up, and easily at the top for sustainability.
I must say it was *surprisingly* good. 10/10. My favorite was with a little yuzu ponzu and minced scallion.
Also served over shredded jicama for a "necessity is the mother of invention" play on spiralized daikon for a garnish.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEcLSN4B9ot/
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote