Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
Rob929

Where do you have your reels serviced?

Can someone recommend where they take their reels for service, and how much (roughly) one might expect to pay for that. I have some older penn's (jigmasters etc) that could use a little tlc.

Thanks
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Iparker
Junior

My father has used Ken's in Oceanside for a while with nothing but good comments. I believe he is down in the Harbor.
Iparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
bennofish7
Junior

Its too bad you don't have Shimano reels, they have an outstanding service dept. up in Irvine. I dropped off 3 of my reels there and depending on the reel was charged $25 for my Baitcaster 4500 and TLC and $35 for my Calcutta.
They shipped them back in a week with the note that the Baitcaster was beyond repair so they charged me an additional $25 and gave me a brand new reel. All the reels got a complete overhaul, new bearings, friction plates, etc.
Great company.
bennofish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Useful Idiot

Squidco. Or you could open up those jigmasters and get familiar with the guts. Super easy to work on, I rebuilt a jigmaster with accurate parts when I was 13 or 14. Good knowledge to have.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Check out Alan Tani's tutorials on BD. The Jigmaster is very easy to take apart and rebuild.

PENN 500

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/pe...r-rebuild.html

Index

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/fi...eel-tutorials/
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
frady

Ken's reels in Oceanside is the place to go. They did a great job and put in some nice custom drags. I think for my Sealine it was like $25. Turnaround isn't to bad about a week or two.
frady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #7
Bryantfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennofish7 View Post
Its too bad you don't have Shimano reels, they have an outstanding service dept. up in Irvine. I dropped off 3 of my reels there and depending on the reel was charged $25 for my Baitcaster 4500 and TLC and $35 for my Calcutta.
They shipped them back in a week with the note that the Baitcaster was beyond repair so they charged me an additional $25 and gave me a brand new reel. All the reels got a complete overhaul, new bearings, friction plates, etc.
Great company.

Thank that helped me out... did u have to wait long.. and will they ship them back to you or do u have to pick them up?
Bryantfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Quilted Germ

I've had reels serviced at Blue Water Tackle in Solana Beach....sweet shop. Can take a bit of time depending on when the next pick up is, but I was happy...
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
bennofish7
Junior

I drove them up and delivered them myself, they shipped them back in about 10 days.
bennofish7 is offline   Reply With Quote