Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Gino

The best cure for seasickness is catching Fish! If im fighting a Fish, I forget about how sick and crappy the swell is! on a serious note, I used to stay up all night, (not a morning person) so that i could get up on time to make it to the launch with the rest of the crew. Also I wouldnt eat anything, or even bring fluids. Id seem to feel uneasy in rough water, and very uncomfortable, but never at a puking stage. (long range trips i get very sick, whats wierd is when i was a kid i never got seasick)

Sometimes just getting a goodnights sleep, a good stable breakfast and lots of green tea on the yak works great for me.

Only time i get sick is when im not facing land. position your yak torward the land, and it will help alot.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #22
bellcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Also I wouldnt eat anything,
I call BS with that one Gino

I never get sea sick
never have (knock on wood)

But in the fog last week
not being able to see more than a few feet in any direction
& while starring at the gps and compass
I started to feel a bit funny in the tummy

that ever happen to you guys??
Old 03-29-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
Podaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by -scallywag- View Post

Come on Scales! tell them land lubbers the real, time tested cure for sea sickness....rum, whisky and beer!!!!

It always works for me!!!

yup!
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #24
Billy V

Motion Ease works good, and you can use it after you get motion sickness and it will still work.

Place 1 drop behind each ear and a few minutes later the symptoms disappear.
http://www.motioneazeworks.com/
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #25
old_rookie

Somewhere I read about a drink called Smooth Sailing - which is to help with motion sickness.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #26
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Matthew34 View Post
I'm a firm believe and user of Scopace as well. I get really seasick REALLY FAST on any water outside of the bay. i did the bonnie thing before learning about scopace and i would start to get sick just thinking about the taste of that powdery raspberry nastiness.

You can take Scopace 15 mins before launching and you'll be good to go. The only side effect i've had with it is dry mouth...which is very easily cured if you stay hydrated. So you may have to pee off the side of your yak or into a gatorade bottle a few times...big deal!! Way better then chumming the water and feeling the infamous pucker factor when your guts are churning inside out from puking so much

I got 60 pills for under $20 from costco with a perscription from my doctor. All you do is tell your doctor that you love to fish and that you get seasick. I didn't even have to go in and get verified. I called the office talked to the nurse and picked up the rx on the way home from work. Really easy, and it works REALLY REALLY WELL!! However if you're doing more then 12 hours on the water you may want to bring another one. I've done some long days on the water (as im sure most of you have) and I honestly started puking within 15 mins of the 12 hour mark. I kind of laughed about it, took another one, and I was good to go on the ride in.
Ditto that! Scopace is great because it enters you blood stream much faster than dramamine or bonine. Plus, it doesn't cause the sleepiness associated with dramamine and bonine.

My price was a bit cheaper. I ended up getting 100 tablets for $5. Must be a difference between insurance companies.

The other option that works great is the scopolamine patch. That's my go to plan for overnighters on the big boat.
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #27
dfroggy54
Rolly

man, I hear ya, sometimes those waves are massive and give you that funny feeling.,.best keep some bonine in the car before breakfast
dfroggy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #28
Gino

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
I call BS with that one Gino

Haha Don, Im in an Extreme now, So im not classified as a fat paddler anymore!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 AM   #29
GregAndrew

This is weird. I have been pretty sea sick on a few of the multi-day trips I have been on, but never on my kayak. I had thought that it was because on the boat you are fighting the rocking, and on the kayak you are just rolling with it. But I guess that is not the case?
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #30
cjthomas

The secret to not getting seasick (aside from previous remedies mentioned) is to keep your eyes on the horizon. When you are looking down and rolling around your equilibrium is messed up and your mind doesn't know what way is up.

Keep your eyes on the horizon, breathe fresh air, stay hydrated and cool, and start the day off with a decent breakfast (you are exercising after all).
cjthomas is offline   Reply With Quote