Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 AM   #1
LawDog

Fishing in Japan

I'm living in Japan now, Iwakuni to be exact and I'm having a hard time finding reputable sources on fishing laws and regulations. I shipped my T15 out here and am just itching to hit the water but I want to stay legal.

It looks like there is no need to purchase a license to fish in the ocean. Holler at me if anyone has experience or can link good sources. Thanks
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

Look up or PM Philr21 he used to post up reports from Japan that were awesome....

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ighlight=japan
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 AM   #3
chuckt

You don't need a license to fish in Japan. and I don't think there is any fish/game regulation, so there is no size/bag limit on fishing.
As for fresh water lake, there are some private lakes that you need to buy ticket to fish. other than that no need for license.
If you don't mind me asking how do you ship your kayak overseas? Does it cost a lot? Thanks
chuckt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #4
King Saba

Ditto on the license thing. My buddy tells me that regulations primarily exist only for prized fish like tuna. Other than that there aren't any regs on size or limits. There may be restrictions on where you can fish as is the case with Tokyo bay.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 AM   #5
pingpangdang

Japanese seabass fishing is a blast...night time + - 2 hrs around high tide. Find some lights near the water...bass will come to feed.

Their used to be a bwe equivalent but when facebook came out everyone crossed over...should have some expats still around posting now on Facebook

I caught 28 consecutive bass at lake Yamanaka on a rooster tail one day...skunked same spot following week.

Yokohama north dock was my go to sea bass spot....

I've caught tuna and mahi as well.

Go to the many local tackle shops...some will give you gouge.

I'm sure you know of the chicken shack...good eats.

Here are some pics of some of my catches there...you should start a youtube channel on your fishing adventures.
uploadfromtaptalk1470337004677.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337011151.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337018898.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337027490.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337034774.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337041301.jpguploadfromtaptalk1470337050848.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited by pingpangdang; 08-04-2016 at 11:08 AM.
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
pingpangdang

...if you can get on the air station residents used to have to get a license from the base for fishing on base...you check in and out at the launch for safety. Good fishing from flounder, seabass and yes hamachi...yellowtail. that was 7 years ago. Some...most lakes you just pay a fee. Never had a license for ocean fishing and didn't need one.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:27 AM   #7
LawDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckt View Post
You don't need a license to fish in Japan. and I don't think there is any fish/game regulation, so there is no size/bag limit on fishing.
As for fresh water lake, there are some private lakes that you need to buy ticket to fish. other than that no need for license.
If you don't mind me asking how do you ship your kayak overseas? Does it cost a lot? Thanks
I'm an active duty Marine. Government shipped it for me. My fishing equipment was the only thing I was worried about.

Thanks for the info guys. It's all good news. Does anyone know of a website in English that has official laws and regs? Or can someone at least get the correct Japanese website and I can plug and play on a translator. I should be getting on the water within the month. I just need a wagon like a Subaru Forester or similar to car top the yak.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
pingpangdang

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawDog View Post
I'm an active duty Marine. Government shipped it for me. My fishing equipment was the only thing I was worried about.

Thanks for the info guys. It's all good news. Does anyone know of a website in English that has official laws and regs? Or can someone at least get the correct Japanese website and I can plug and play on a translator. I should be getting on the water within the month. I just need a wagon like a Subaru Forester or similar to car top the yak.
My wife is Japanese...she is going to search for you...she mentioned kayaks having to have flags etc.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
LawDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
My wife is Japanese...she is going to search for you...she mentioned kayaks having to have flags etc.
Thanks. Tell your wife I really appreciate it. I just dont know anyone here that does much fishing other than on charters. Last thing I want is their equivalent of the game warden stopping me and seizing everything and hitting me with a fine because I thought I was good.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
pingpangdang

Ocean fishing no license required...if you dive for shellfish etc you need a license. She couldn't find anything on size requirements....makes sense if their is no license.

Rivers and lakes is a daily fee.

She didn't find any sites worthy as of yet.

The base used to have a game warden...iwakuni used to have its own license for military only....probably used the money to support recreational facilities etc. If they are still there I'd swing by.

Japan doesn't have the many regulations we are used to unless you are a Comercial fisherman. She found a lot of stuff in regards to those guys.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
LawDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
Ocean fishing no license required...if you dive for shellfish etc you need a license. She couldn't find anything on size requirements....makes sense if their is no license.

Rivers and lakes is a daily fee.

She didn't find any sites worthy as of yet.

The base used to have a game warden...iwakuni used to have its own license for military only....probably used the money to support recreational facilities etc. If they are still there I'd swing by.

Japan doesn't have the many regulations we are used to unless you are a Comercial fisherman. She found a lot of stuff in regards to those guys.

Thanks a lot for the research. It seems like you are required to keep everything you catch here. I guess that's one law I will have to bend.

*Update...
My trusty Trident 15 Just arrived. I literally feel like a drug addict going through withdraws. Time to put some time on the water. Not many Americans fish here. A few have a 15 year old Zebco they bust out and sling with a bobber, but few (if any) put serious effort into this sport. I need to learn Japanese.

Last edited by LawDog; 08-21-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:51 AM   #12
Dave Legacy

There's a member here that I don't think has posted in a while, but I know him from another forum, "lowprofile". Last I heard he and another guy I know are stationed out your way and doing a ton of fishing working weekends on a sportfishing boat and stuff. You might try to shoot him a PM; Dude is really serious about fishing. Come to think of it I think he's in Okinawa, but maybe he's still got some useful info to get you started.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote