Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
tacklebox
I got gas!

Maiden voyage for tarpon 140 in DP

Got to baby beach around noon today for my maiden voyage. Really overcast but very light wind so that was a plus! I paddled down to the barge and around the harbor for a bit getting used to my new kayak then I went out of the harbor on the barge side and went to the kelp. Fish finder was going wild with beeps but I couldnt catch a thing! I spent about 5 hours out there around the kelp right by the breakwall and going back in the harbor then back out. I was using plastics but nothing would hit. Finally I went and got some frozen chovies (I dont have a battery for my bucket yet) from the little general store by the barge but still nothing! I guess I need live bait. I tried untangling my sabiki but I got over that in about 3 mins lol.
Anyway it was nice getting out and using my kayak that Ive had for like a month. Never had a way to transport it easily to the beach but I just got a job at a welding shop off lake forest and we made a little rack for my truck so I could take it out. Its a prototype and I still have another addition I need to make to it but it worked great. I can keep my tailgate closed so my rods etc wont go flying out. I had to put a chair under the front but I will be adding another piece to the bed soon so it wont be so ghetto fabulous!
Name:  IMAG1940.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  61.6 KB
Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
FishRaiden
CEO-TacticalFishingCrew.

Very stable and fast kayak, ibe owned one before. And that rack looks pretty sturdy. All those beeps on the fishfinder couldve been lots of baitfish. Youll get em next time!
#DropLuresNotBait
FishRaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklebox View Post
...we made a little rack for my truck so I could take it out. Its a prototype and I still have another addition I need to make to it but it worked great. I can keep my tailgate closed so my rods etc wont go flying out. I had to put a chair under the front but I will be adding another piece to the bed soon so it wont be so ghetto fabulous!
Nice!

Great prototype, get a patent on that baby, better than the harbor Freight one...just remember to put a red flag on the end of the yak...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
tacklebox
I got gas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Nice!

Great prototype, get a patent on that baby, better than the harbor Freight one...just remember to put a red flag on the end of the yak...
lol I went to dicks today looking for one(red flag) and they were sold out so I cut up an old firestone hat and clipped it to my drain plug. I also put some pool noodles on the parts where the kayak touches the rail so it was kind of wedged in there. It was very stable!
Thanks for the comments and Ill tell my boss what you said. He will be stoked.
I think Im going to add another "Y" type that can bolt to the front of the bed so its level and doesnt look so angled.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
roadx

Hahahaha welcome to yak fish'n grab a beer or two,,,,, rrrrrr or more with friends, and try..... an relax and enjoy life. catching is secondary.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

I am liken that design...yeah the chair has to go...great thinkin outside the box though
Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
oneyedeer

Very thought out!
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
sharjak

Nice job on the rack. I was going to mention pool noodles as well.
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote