Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Saba Slayer

MLPA isn't coming to So. Cal. ! ! !

The MLPA isn't comming to Southern California...IT'S HERE NOW!!!
I attended a presentation and discussion for the MLPA South Coast Study Region last night in San Pedro with Paul Lebowitz and Grego and Steve/ Landwhale resresenting the kayakfishing community.
Representatives from United Anglers and the diving community and the surf and pier anglers were there too to represent the various recreational fishing groups. The commercial interests had met earlier in the day.

A group called Ecotrust in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey will collect, compile, and analyze information pertaining to recreational fisheries along the south coast of California. The want to find out what socioeconomic effect the MLPA closures will have.
To do this, they are looking for information from the expert knowledge of the fishermen themselves. The best way you can help in this process is to help us develop accurate maps of the local recreational fishing grounds and let them know which areas are of the most importance to us.
This summer, Ecotrust personal will use in-person interviews and a web-based survey to interview recreational fishermen in So. Cal.
Don't worry about giving away your favorite fishing hot-spot. Ecotrust operates under a strict confidentiality protocol. All information collected
in the interviews is anonymous.
There were a few individuals that were invited to come down here to So. Cal that had been involved in the MLPA process up north. They had lots of very insightful informatin on the process they had been involved in. They stressed the importance of developing the maps of our favorite fishing areas. These maps and the information used to develop them is probably the most important thing we can do to help keep your favorite areas open. They will help us set our battle lines to defend your fishing rights in these areas!!!!
Please financially support United Anglers or the Kayak Fishing Association they will be needing the money to defend our rights against the ecologists demanding wide closures.
These closures are coming and this is your chance to help yourself and your fishing friends NOW!!!
I my humble opinion, you must be a part of this process or you have no right to complain and whine when your favorite areas are closed forever!!!!!!!!
There will be public workshops and DFG meetings...attend them if you can. Paul Lebowitz/PAL and I will help inform you of any upcomming dates
When it comes time to select our (kayakfishermen) representative to send to the Stakeholders meetings PLEASE help to select Paul.
HE IS THE GUY FOR THE JOB...He is well informed and he understands the process!!!!!
OK...I'll put the soapbox away now....just...PLEASE BE A PART of this process!!! It's IMPORTANT to us ALL!!!!!!
Jim / Saba Slayer

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 05-21-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Done, was pretty easy... I know this is a start, but everyone keeps saying the MLPA is here, but do not say what we can concretely do (other than this survey) to get involved to be proactive in this process... This is not a knock, I you guys are working hard, and this is a strange process from reading the NORCAL MPLA process on spearbaord, but hopefully more info from our representatives will start to filter out on how we can help. Again, thanks to the guys standing up to represent us in this process!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #3
wavster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that when fishing spots are
divulged, the MLPA will analyze the reason for that. Simply stated,
people don't normally fish where there aren't any fish.

That being said, it seems to me that they would then use those
spots as a basis to setup closures because that's where it's believed the fish are.

Just thinking out loud...
Old 05-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #4
Mike McFann
Junior

Done.

If our freinds to the north who went throught the process are promoting this. I have to trust them as I don't have any info to the contrary.
Mike McFann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Corey

OK, I signed up. Thaks to Jim, Paul, Greg, & Steve for representing our interests.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:36 AM   #6
Grego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that when fishing spots are
divulged, the MLPA will analyze the reason for that. Simply stated,
people don't normally fish where there aren't any fish.

That being said, it seems to me that they would then use those
spots as a basis to setup closures because that's where it's believed the fish are.

Just thinking out loud...
My thoughts initially also, as well as every representative from the different associations that attended. The process of selecting MPA's actually depends on knowing those areas so that they can be defended. It would be difficult to make a stance and argument to keep a certain place open if there's no data to back it up.

A very simplistic example.....nobody says they fish LJ kelp with the intent of keeping it off the radar, so the scientist and consultants say "great" cuz that's a recorded area of known breeding and feeding (additionally supported by the reserve already in place) so since no one is against it, let's enlarge it and close it off and everyone will be happy.

I'm not going to go into detail on any matter. Paul is our lead and I'm going to let him discuss issues and concerns when he's prepared. There were handouts that I'm sure Paul will be posting on his site for everyone to view. Fishing grounds WILL BE LOST, that's the fact jack. How much and where is the question, your support will help Paul gain a seat on the stakeholders group where our input can make a difference in influencing the how much and where.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
PAL

Hey guys, glad you are engaged on this topic.

We're working behind the scenes with Ecotrust on a couple of issues with the survey methodology. The organization seems responsive to our concerns. I think its likely we'll get at least some of the changes we are requesting.

Grego gave an excellent explaination of the importance of participating and providing good information. The point was backed up by fishing folk, veterans of the process, who travelled from Cen and NorCal to strongly encourage us to work with Ecotrust. We don't know Ecotrust; we know and trust people like Sean White of NCKA, Ben Sleeter of Coastside, etc.

Anyone is welcome to call me on MLPA issues. Drop me a PM your phone number. I'll get back to you ASAP.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
glenniesan

I appreciate your guys' efforts in preserving our interests as anglers as well as our resources!

What can I as an individual do to be more involved? Is there a link to the web-survey? Keep up the good work Paul & co!
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Useful Idiot

I attended the ecotrust meeting in La Jolla a couple weeks ago with Jim Sammons. I was very involved with the channel islands process a few years back, and this ecotrust process is a very good thing. It's a weapon we didn't have back then.

The MLPA process is a big game of give and take. Usually both sides come out at extremes and eventually a few reasonable individuals sit down and hammer out something that works for both sides, but not after a lot of blood, sweat and tears throughout the process. Some of our fishing spots are likely to coincide with the enviro's prime habitat spots, but there will also be habitat that isn't prime fishing grounds and vice versa, so there's room to "make a deal" with other interest groups. The ecotrust process is the process by which value (economic mostly) is placed on each of our fishing spots. So for example if La Jolla is determined as one of the major spots of socio-economic importance, the enviros would likely have to give up quite a bit elsewhere if they propose a closure with that much impact.

That's why it's important for everyone to give their input in this ecotrust process. The more real numbers determined by this process, the harder it will be to close those areas. Grego is completely right. Remaining silent is the worst thing we could do because it will show up in the report as low socio-economic impact and be easier to close. Even if the enviro groups target only fishermen's favorite spots to fish (which is not the point of the MLPA process...) if La Jolla is determined to have a $100 billion impact a year, it's not closing... This is the CA government we're talking about...

(btw- in the channel islands process all socio-economic impact numbers were determined by an assigned economist with no mention of methods, credentials or loyalties... I like this way better...)
Old 05-29-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
TheSherThang

Joined UA at the Fred Hall show. Let me know when the online survey is ready and I'll be there ready and filling haha.
TheSherThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
dgax65
Guerro Grande

United Anglers has this survey on their web site. Everybody who fishes in Southern California should fill out this survey. This will enable UA to identify the high-priority spots that need to be protected.

You can download this survey. Print extra copies and give them to all your fishin' buddies. $0.42 is a small price to pay to make your voice heard.