Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Dana PT, 8-2-11

Launched at 5:30 to a light breeze and chilly conditions. Got around the jetty to head for the Pipe and found the wind picking up already. Water temps are down 11º, never saw above 59º the whole morning and mostly it was in the 58º range. Started in 40' and worked the Pipe out to about 60'. This hour long run netted me one giant Tree Fish and nothing else, not even another bite.

I worked my way back shallow and the Helena took my 40' spot before I could work my way there. Listening to them, it was really slow for them too. I worked different areas for a while before I hooked something that broke me off close to the surface. Then it was another hour and half or so before as I was calling it quits I got 2 calicoes in 35'. As I only had 6 bites all morning I suppose I did ok, but damn was it slow. All fish came on Flurrys in Fire Avocado with Hotsauce. I did get one bite on an LK Intruder in clear/red flake.

BTW, the wind really came up as the morning wore on and by 9am it was howling pretty good. The paddle back sucked. By the time I got to the end of the island and could see Baby Beach I felt like I was going backwards. Hopefully this wind will die down soon and the water can warm back up. Needing a full suit in Aug. is just not right.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
yani

Ed,

funny, cause last year dana had a cold finger of water
almost all summer long. Not again...
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Amish Ed

Cold finger Yani? The whole dang coast was a cold finger. I never did surf in trunks last year and wore my fullsuit way too much. It was looking like we'd have a normal summer this year, but maybe not. I do remember a few years ago that we had an upwelling like this, but the water bounced back within weeks. Hopefully this year does the same. Just need the wind to stop, but it looks like we have at least 5 more days of wind.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
carbonbass

Thanks for the update ed, guess ill stay in Newport for a T tomorrow instead of Dana. Maybe long beach has something for me at the wall or oil islands... ahhh now I don't know where I want to fish :/

Wer there any snot sticks running around
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Heard a wee bit of bait jumping around and one fish hit the surface behind me, that was it. Very dead out there. Newport was 61º by the USCG on Sat. San Diego is cold too. Looks like the whole coastal waters turned over.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Heard a wee bit of bait jumping around and one fish hit the surface behind me, that was it. Very dead out there. Newport was 61º by the USCG on Sat. San Diego is cold too. Looks like the whole coastal waters turned over.
Sigh I guess that means more waiting for this wind.. do T sharks get affected by temp changes
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:33 PM   #7
Amish Ed

I think everything is affected by an overnight 11º drop. Plus, at least around the Pipe there was little bait to be found.