Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
landwhale

The MLPA two step

Just got word that the RSG leadership has done it again. At the end of the Thursday Meeting of the Stakeholders Group in Santa Ana they had come up with well thought up maps for the Opal and Topaz groups and the Lapis group could not agree on one map so sent forward 2. The guidelines called for 6 maps to be forwarded to SAT for evaluation so the RSG said that the Opal and Topaz maps would go forward and each RSG member was given a ballot to vote for 3 of the 4 remaining. The vote came back Lapis 1 = 63, Lapis 2 = 61, External A = 64, External B = 39, External C = 29. For those of you that do not know External C is the outside proposal from the environmental side that closes most of our fishing areas. The vote was to be made public on Tuesday though it never happened. Today the RSG members were informed by Mr. Wiseman that all 7 would be sent forward. I smell the money that is paying for the process pushing their proposal forward. It is more important now than ever that you get and stay involved. More info will be coming to you in the next days

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Billy V

As I recall External A Map is what we wanted to go forward.
It was the most Fishing Friendly.

It seems External A Passed with 64 Votes,
We have to keep a good eye on these rat b@stids.

Last edited by Billy V; 05-28-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Funny how this can be problematic to 3/4 of the ocean loving people, yet 3/4 of these people are still uninformed.

Two step indeed.

Thanks for staying on top of this Steve.

And these same antagonists of the sea are getting shot down, finally coming to light the obvious demise of CP...

Presence needs to be felt at the next meetings...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
zenspearo

Yep, the process was gamed, and we got the short-end of the stick.

This should enrage everyone. They bought everything but they couldn't buy you out. You need to show up and let them know what you think.

See you at the MLPA road show workshops. I'll be there--I have no excuses.
zenspearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thumbs down

This is unbelievable! How in the world is this legal, not to mention, why have RSG members if Wiseman can just run the show. Sounds like the RSG members worked hard to find consensus, and Wiseman made his own decision.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Ouch. We are getting screwed.

This doesn't sound like a problem for the RSG reps, they voted and made their voice clear. This sounds like a problem for the BRTF and the people that make the rules, and change the rules if they don't like the result they get. We should let them know what we think.

This makes it even more important that we show up with even more guys next time. We NEED 100 + kayakers at the next set of meetings.

The BRTF meets June 4th I believe. Is there a public comment session?

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #7
landwhale

Yes the BRTF is meeting on June 4th in LA and there is public comment I plan on being there they NEED to feel our presence anyone else.

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

I will do my best to get to LA on the fourth if they are allowing public comment for sure!!! Won't know until tomorrow about rolling up there but just in case is there a roll call as to who will be attending???

And since this is very easily partisaned and doesn't quite seem legal similar to chicago politics what are our legal options and when and who and where do we need to file a possible injunction or some sort of legal stoppage to the very obvious improprieties that are going down?????
Old 05-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative Blue Ribbon Task Force Draft Meeting Agenda (Revised May 25, 2009) * This facility is accessible to persons with disabilities. To request reasonable accommodations for a disability, please contact California Relay Service (at least two days prior to the meeting) at 800.735.2929 (TTY) or Thursday, June 4 at 9:30 AM

Sheraton Gateway Los Angeles Hotel *
6101 West Century Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90045
Public participation:
Members of the public are invited to attend the meeting in person or may view and listen to the meeting via simultaneous webcasting on the Internet. Video and audio archives of the meeting may be accessed via the Internet approximately two days after the meeting. Please visit the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp for more information.

Public comment:
The public will be invited to offer general comments on subjects related to the work of the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force (BRTF), not specific to an agenda item, at approximately 9:40 a.m. Speaker cards are requested and may be found at the entrance to the room. Time allotted for public comment is determined by the number of requests and can range from one to three minutes per comment; submitting written comments that can be easily summarized in one to two minutes is encouraged. Note that the public comment period is for comments specific to the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force; comments related to other MLPA Initiative activities or groups should be directed to those bodies or MLPA staff.

Meeting materials will not be provided at the meeting but will be posted to the MLPA website as soon as they are available. This agenda may be found on the MLPA website at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/meetings_sc.asp

Meeting Objectives
Receive a panel presentation regarding the Marine Life Protection Act and fisheries management

Receive and discuss an MLPA Master Plan Science Advisory Team (SAT) proposed water quality evaluation method and potentially approve the SAT proposed method for evaluating marine protected area (MPA) proposals

Receive and discuss report regarding the status of federal and state coordination recommendations and potentially provide guidance regarding next steps

Receive updates on the work of the SAT, SCRSG, and MLPA Statewide Interests Group (SIG)

Receive update on the revised south coast regional profile

Receive 2008-2011 budget update

800.735.2922 (voice) or contact the California Marine Life Protection Act Initiative at 916.654.1885. California MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force June 4, 2009 Meeting Draft Agenda (revised May 25, 2009) 2
Meeting Agenda - Thursday, June 4, 2009
Note: General public comment, not specific to a particular agenda item, will be taken at approximately 9:40 a.m. and the task force will break for lunch at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Welcome, Agenda Review and Brief Introductions
I. Updates
A. Master Plan Science Advisory Team
B. Statewide Interests Group
C. Public Outreach and Education Activities
D. South Coast Regional Stakeholder Group and Regional Profile
E. North Coast Project
II. The Marine Life Protection Act and Fisheries Management
F. Panel Presentation Regarding the MLPA and Fisheries Management
III. MLPA South Coast Project
G. Receive and Discuss SAT Proposed Water Quality Evaluation Methods
Potential Action:
Approve SAT proposed water quality evaluation methods as an additional method for evaluating marine protected area proposals

IV. State and Federal Coordination Recommendations
H. Receive and Review Recommendations for Improved MPA Management Coordination with Federal Agencies
Potential Action:
Provide guidance to MLPA Initiative staff regarding next steps

V. MLPA Initiative Operations
I. Updated 2008-11 MLPA Initiative Budget
J. MLPA Calendar of Future Meetings
Adjourn

Old 05-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #10
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

So it looks like 9:40 am is the time. I have to check and see if I can make this one.

I think the RSG reps heard our comments last time loud and clear.
Now we have to make sure the BRTF hears us the same way.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #11
JoeBeck

Another meeting I unfortunately will not be able to make. I've been sending letters every week. Is there anyone I should add to my list? I've printed them on mailing labels to make the process easier.

Bob Huff
Diamond Bar District Office
23355 E. Golden Springs Drive
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

Marine Life Protection Act Initiative
c/o California Resources Agency
1416 Ninth St., Ste. 1311
Sacramento, CA 95814

Cindy Gustafson, President
California Fish and Game Commission
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento CA 95814-2090

Jean Fuller, Vice Chair
Capitol Office
State Capitol Room 3098
Sacramento, CA 95814

Assembly Member Greg Aghazarian
Capitol Office
State Capitol, Room 4167
Sacramento, CA 95814

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

Loni Hancock
State Capitol, Room 4126
Sacramento, CA 95814

Michael N Villines
Capitol Office
State Capitol Room 3104
Sacramento, CA 94249-0029

Michael N Villines
Fresno District Office
6245 N. Fresno Street, #106
Fresno, CA 93710

Christine Kehoe
2445 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
PAL

get after guys! The task force is demonstrating the bias in this process. Don't sit back and take it - stand up and hold them to account. More to follow.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #13
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

I think it is very important to attend if possible. I am seeing if I can get out of work and use another vacation day for this BS.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
get after guys! The task force is demonstrating the bias in this process. Don't sit back and take it - stand up and hold them to account. More to follow.
Are the RSG members voicing their dipleasure w/ Mr Wiseman? What is the point of wasting all of your time on a vote to narrow down proposals if the results are ignored?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
kurt

I'll be voicing my displeasure with Mr. Wiseman. Funny how some people just don't fit their names.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'll be voicing my displeasure with Mr. Wiseman. Funny how some people just don't fit their names.
How true!

He is asking for comment, I sent him my opion of his non-objective "guidance" so should everyone else!!!

Quote:
Any questions or concerns you may have should be directed to me at ken.wiseman@resources.ca.gov

I look forward to continuing our work together-

Ken Wiseman

cc: MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force members
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #17
Hunter (The 80's Man)

I smell a rat. I hate rats.

Gonna' try and make it, my work schedule's already been made... I'll see what I can do.

Rob Hunter
Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I'd like to voice it with a baseball bat.

-One of the very first thing Ken Wiseman said before the Public Comment started at the Santa Anna meeting was you could not make comments that were a personal attack.

He is full of crap. If his lips are moving he is lying.

This process needs oversight.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
bellcon

ken.wiseman@resources.ca.gov

Now there is a mail box that nees to be filled.
Be polite, Be firm, Be direct and ask him to explain his actions.

I know I am looking forward to a response from my email.

Thanks for the link Chris!
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #20
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

I just sent an email to Ken and have added him to my contact list so whenever I feel the urge to vent, I know where to go to first...

Mr. Wiseman,

I am one of the kayak people that have been attending the MLPA meetings, in Oxnard and Santa Ana, and have been fortunate to not only express my concerns, but question some of the decision processes.

At the Oxnard meeting, I posed a question directly to you and your staff regarding the amendment process to proposals (which was taped so should be on record).

In typical legislative meetings or government meetings, both public and private, when a proposal is submitted there is a 10-day lock on changes to said proposals from last minute amendments.

Again I ask you, why is this same format not in place for the MLPA process?

Also, in reference to your latest decision to rescind proposed outlines, can you clarify the the deciding factors for you to propose why all 7 maps be forwarded when the guidelines called for only 6 maps be forwarded to the SAT for evaluation?

For the record, I am the one who had the chance to speak at the Santa Ana public forum, and I directed a question to yourself and Mrs. Tudon regarding the misrepresentation of you tri-fold, clearly showing outlined 3-mile areas of your proposal that covered the entire CA coastline (mid brochure) and the accompanying page showing a surf fisherman.

My 9-year old son, Clay Harding, spoke at both the Oxnard meeting and the Santa Ana meeting on how your proposals would affect not only himself, but other children as well.
He missed school to attend the Oxnard meeting, and was encouraged to do so by not only his teacher at La Costa Heights Elementary, Mrs. Kelso, but the school administration as well, so he could get a chance to see government in action. He also had a chance to speak to his class the day after each meeting, and enlighten them on the MLPA process.

I look forward to your response, and will be present at future MLPA meetings as I feel the decisions set forth will directly affect not only the bond I have created with my child, but potential future bondings between parents and their children in regards to not only respect and appreciation of our natural resources, but government and legislation as well.

Sincerely,

Martin Craig Harding
Clay Tufte harding
yakpescador@yahoo.com

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote