Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
JoeBeck

Just get up and go.

I saw this place mentioned in a post late last year, did some research and it sounded like a good place to take a weekend trip. A short drive from San Diego, a primitive campsite right on the Colorado river, good fishing, I was eager to check it out. Shiloh and I had planned on spending new years here but weather dictated otherwise, we then planned on presidents day but again had to cancel because of rain. This Thursday Shiloh said it would be fun to go fishing this weekend. I couldn't agree more and had already been planning to fish LJ myself. Now that I knew she wanted to fish, I figured hell lets pack up and go on a trip, this place has been on my mind, I checked the weather and it was on. We packed up the pickup and headed out Friday afternoon. It's funny, sometimes it's best not to plan, just get an idea and go.

part of the road out there

I thought this place was going to be primitive camping It turns out the campsite was not primitive at all, it had two tables, canopy and a bathroom. The only thing primitive about it is there was no drinking water which we had planned for and brought our own.

Shiloh's brother joined us Friday night and Saturday morning so I brought the extra yak

Fish in this area include Largemouth Bass, Striped Bass, Channel and Flathead catfish and bluegill. We fished for Bass during light and catfish during dark.

Fishing was a little bit slow but we finally figured out what they were biting on catching a handful of small largemouth bass. No striped bass. Tried a lot of different artificial baits, the dropshot worked the best. I was hoping to get some top water action but it just has not warmed enough yet.

Catfish were easy to catch, a fish about every 15 minutes, all micro size though, not one good one. Still fun

Shiloh got a baby flathead, if you don't know about flathead cats, look it up, they get huge! Last week the ranger said a 45 pounder was caught, don't tell the locals I wrote this, no fish in La Jolla

After sitting in the dark, playing with chicken liver and warms, drinking cold beverages, you have to finish the evening big before waking up and doing it all over again.

We had good weather, between 80 and 85 degrees on and off wind until it started blowing pretty good around 12:30 today.

This was an amazing place to paddle a Kayak, we discovered that there were passage ways that navigated through the different sections of the inlets, reminded me a lot of the paddling we did in Texas.

Like I wrote earlier all small fish, Shiloh got the jackpot with this one. Not bad for a girl who is going to have a baby in just about 4 weeks, no big WSB or YT but certainly a trip to remember and a fishery I'll continue to explore

JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
fishinkid2010

Very cool report! That place looks like a ton of fun to fish, especially being so secluded. Next time you find those tight lip largemouths, try throwing a fluke (like a Skinnybear or Bass Assassin) on a light weighted EWG hook. Twitch the reel handle really erratically and throw near cover... one of my go to methods!
fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
dmrides

Joe, looks and sounds like a pretty nice weekend. 4 weeks to go, still paddling a kayak and out fishing the boys, that's awesome.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
walrus

One of my favorite places.

Last year the lake was so choked with duck weed that you couldn't paddle through it. I'm glad to see it's died off.

If you after the big cats, get on the river and fish the undercut banks.

Congrats on the fish.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report. I love fishing the river.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
steveooo

You guys do the coolest stuff
Wife is a trooper
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Jimmyz123

Great report, man that looks like a fun place to go.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
Siebler

That is by far my favorite part of the river to fish. Sure is nice that there is a ramp/opening to launch form now. I remember the first thing we used to do when we got there was wading through the tulies to cut an opening that youd just barely fit the kayaks through.

How was the road out there?

No stripers on the rock wall? Cats inside the lake?

Looks liek you had a good time, I need to make a trip soon.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #9
JoeBeck

Siebler,

Road out there was fun, a lot easier than I expected, pretty smooth. How you describe launching the kayaks prior to the ramp is what I had expected, they definitely have created a nice campspot with easy water access.

No striper, read they like shad so I tried cotee cracker shad, as well as some different shad crankbaits and small spoons, nothing. Also read they like cut bait but besides chicken liver and warms for catfish we were using artificial baits. Only the 2nd time I've fished the Colorado river waters so still learning. Took awhile to get the largemouth bass to start hitting too, turned out chartreuse colored baits were working the best.

We were catching plenty of cats in the lake, all small though. We mostly stayed in the lakes and inlets enjoying not having to paddle up stream as well as finding new little hideaways to fish such as the rock wall. Took awhile to start seeing the small paths cut through the tulies, if I didn't have a river map I don't think I would have found them.

Good trip, like I said definitely a fishery I am going to continue to explore. I want to get out there when the top water action goes off. It would also be a fun trip to put the Kayaks in upriver around Blythe or a little higher and have a car in Yuma. Float down river, fish all day, camping on the way, and drinking some beer .

FishinKid: Next time I'll try the flukes, I've had success on flukes fishing the SD Bay. Thanks for the advise, I've enjoyed reading your bass fishing post.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
bellcon

epic as always Joe
Old 03-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Great post! How far of a drive?

You two expecting? If so congrats!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
MuddyMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackerel View Post
You two expecting? If so congrats!
Brave question to ask.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
sammysamsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post
Siebler,

Road out there was fun, a lot easier than I expected, pretty smooth. How you describe launching the kayaks prior to the ramp is what I had expected, they definitely have created a nice campspot with easy water access.

No striper, read they like shad so I tried cotee cracker shad, as well as some different shad crankbaits and small spoons, nothing. Also read they like cut bait but besides chicken liver and warms for catfish we were using artificial baits. Only the 2nd time I've fished the Colorado river waters so still learning. Took awhile to get the largemouth bass to start hitting too, turned out chartreuse colored baits were working the best.

We were catching plenty of cats in the lake, all small though. We mostly stayed in the lakes and inlets enjoying not having to paddle up stream as well as finding new little hideaways to fish such as the rock wall. Took awhile to start seeing the small paths cut through the tulies, if I didn't have a river map I don't think I would have found them.

Good trip, like I said definitely a fishery I am going to continue to explore. I want to get out there when the top water action goes off. It would also be a fun trip to put the Kayaks in upriver around Blythe or a little higher and have a car in Yuma. Float down river, fish all day, camping on the way, and drinking some beer .

FishinKid: Next time I'll try the flukes, I've had success on flukes fishing the SD Bay. Thanks for the advise, I've enjoyed reading your bass fishing post.
Cut anchovies on the carolina rig always works on both stripers and catfish for me. I usually fish around Blythe though.
sammysamsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #14
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyMike View Post
Brave question to ask.
Don't you see Joe's glow!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #15
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Joe and Shiloh, you two are gonna have a natural born fish catcher on your hands...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #16
Iceman
Administrator

Heck ya, I have been thinking about a stretch further norte!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #17
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBeck View Post

Count us in...Clay can be the designated navigator...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

Great photos, Joe!

Looks like a fun family trip.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #19
Cactus
Junior

Great pictures! That's one of my favorite lakes. Once the water warms up you'll be able to catch a bunch in there with flukes!
Cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #20
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
Count us in...Clay can be the designated navigator...
Maybe mid to late June? Shouldnt be all that hot out there around then. Maybe 90's.

Ive done trips in September that were a killer though with temps approaching 120 so 90's is nice.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote