Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
JoeBeck

Anglers Fight Back Against Unlawful Marine Closures

www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org

Anglers Fight Back Against Unlawful Marine Closures
Recreational fishing groups file lawsuit to invalidate regulations that unnecessarily deny access to public waters
January 27, 2011 - Sacramento, CA - Member organizations of the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans (PSO), which represents California’s recreational fishing and boating community, have filed a lawsuit in the San Diego County Superior Court seeking to set aside regulations established by the California Fish and Game Commission in connection with the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA). The commission approved regulations for the North Central and South Coast study regions in August 2009 and December 2010, respectively, establishing marine protected areas – essentially no-fishing zones – in large areas of the state’s coastal waters. The lawsuit, filed by United Anglers of Southern California, Coastside Fishing Club and Robert C. Fletcher, cites a lack of statutory authority for adopting the regulations, and, in the case of the South Coast regulations, numerous violations of the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) in the commission's environmental review of the regulations.

"From the outset, it was clear that the MLPA process was set up to reach a predetermined outcome under the fiction of an allegedly open and transparent process," said Bob Fletcher, former president of the Sportfishing Association of California. "In a rush to establish regulations based on political timelines and a pre-determined agenda, the Fish and Game Commission has ignored the legal requirements it must follow."

Most notably, the petition states that:
  • The commission does not have the statutory authority to adopt, modify or delete marine protected areas under the MLPA's main rulemaking provisions until it has approved a final Master Plan for the state. The final Master Plan has yet to be written or approved.
  • The other statutory authorities that the commission relies on do not provide the commission with the authority it needs to adopt these MPAs.
  • The privately-funded "MLPA Initiative" process has been conducted in a manner inconsistent with the process the state legislature directed in the MLPA, and meetings held by MLPA planning groups that should have been open meetings were closed to the public.
  • The South Coast study region regulations were adopted on the basis of an environmental review process that is in violation of CEQA.
"Our concerns were presented to the commission prior to its December 2010 vote to approve regulations for the South Coast," Fletcher further said. "Ignoring the information before them, the commission went forward with approving regulations to close 116 square miles of southern California’s coastal waters to recreational fishing. Many of the best sportfishing areas are included in the closures. These closures don't just disappoint the fishermen – they take away jobs and income for many California small businesses along the coast and elsewhere. Particularly concerning are the flaws in a regulatory process that has been fueled with private money from special interests. The end result of this process has been a rush by the commission to adopt regulations without the authority it has to have to adopt them, and without a proper review of the environmental consequences of what they're doing. That should be a concern for all Californians, whether they fish for fun or for a living, or whether they've never been fishing at all."

"Much of the best fishing areas are now closed under the MLPA process," noted Dan Wolford, Science Director for the Coastside Fishing Club. "Anglers in the North Central region are now suffering because of excessive, unnecessary closures that we believe were improperly established. We find it extremely concerning that anglers, who are the original conservationists, are being taken off the water through a seriously flawed process, while the real threats to the health of our ocean, such as contaminated stormwater runoff and industrial pollutants, are allowed to continue unabated."

The petition is the second lawsuit involving the MLPA by members of the PSO. In May 2010, Fletcher filed suit against the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force and Master Plan Team – also known as the Science Advisory Team – for failing to respond to a Public Records Act request, as state agencies are required to do. These groups claimed that they were not required to make their records available to the public on the ground that they are not "state agencies." Last October, a California Superior Court ruled that the Blue Ribbon Task Force and the Science Advisory Team are indeed state agencies and therefore are compelled by California’s Public Records Act to share information that they were withholding from public view.

"The good intentions of the MLPA have been derailed by private interests and political motivations," said Fletcher. "We urge anglers, outdoors enthusiasts and anyone who supports good government and the public’s right to know what its government is doing, to visit www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org and donate what they can to help us to continue to fight this flawed process in the courts."
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

This is great, thanks for posting this up for us all to see. The fight is on.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
PAL

All good things come to those who wait... for the other shoe to drop!

If you don't like the MLPA closure map, here's your chance to strike back.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Aaron&Julie

Glad to see it's not going to be easy for those bastards. Maybe we still have a chance to keep what rightfully we should. Much thanks to those battling for all of us.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Billy V

Please send in what you can.

Even if it's $10 Bucks.
It all adds up and these bastards deserve the ass woopin' they're gunna get in Court.

If you could not get to the meetings because of family, jobs, or something else but want to help - This is It !

Fletcher is a solid guy and has gone to bat for us. Lets give him the help He needs.

Thanks in Advance and as always.
Good Fish Karma on You.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
mtnbykr2

let's not get lax on this deal, I hope it goes down in firey crash but we must all do what we can to "keep the good fight"...money sent, you can also fund this fight through United Anglers...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #7
Billy V

I believe we have the best chance of success because of where the lawsuit is filed - San Diego.

It effects SoCal in a most negative way - commercial - recreational - and end users.
------------------------------
Ever wonder why defendants charged with a serious crime always attempt a change of venue ??
Because they want to try the case in a county where the residents are not directly affected.

So Cal / San Diego is taking a big hit.

Its in our best interests to have Our Judges decide. It also make it Much easier for all the plaintiffs to Attend.
(Remember what the the Blue RiBBon Task force did ?? They scheduled their meetings a Hundred miles away and at times when you couldn't attend anyway.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
tagyak

wasn't at those meetings

hey just wanted to share that i was not able to be at those meetings but i am truly thankful for guys like Bob Fletcher and others who are working hard for their fellow anglers. much kudos to you all.

after reading that the fight is still on, i have gone to the link www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org and made my donation. it may not be much but it was more than they had before i added to it.

tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #9
kurtfish

Donate to fight MLPA Here

"The good intentions of the MLPA have been derailed by private interests and political motivations," said Fletcher. "We urge anglers, outdoors enthusiasts and anyone who supports good government and the public’s right to know what its government is doing, to visit www.oceanaccessprotectionfund.org and donate what they can to help us to continue to fight this flawed process in the courts."

Now, is the time to step to the plate. My offer still stands. Show me a copy of a cancelled check cashed by the Ocean Protection Fund for $500 or more and I will give you my $1,000 off a Royal Polaris 10-day or more trip certificate.

Bob is the Man but he is just one man with limited resources. We need to unite behind his efforts to keep the progressives out of our local waters. Keep the Seal People on the beach not in our beds.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Jimmyz123

Donations made and will keep making them as finances allow.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Socalrobt

This is great! More donations are on the way.
Socalrobt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

If the fish ever start biting again, someone should take point on a project to make sure that Bob Fletcher is continuously supplied fresh fish whenever he wants it.

I don't know where Bob lives but if he is local, I am sure that many of us would love to have the opportunity to show our appreciation in a very personal way.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
dorado50

Mr. Bob Fletcher catches more fish than he probably knows what to do with! He does what he does for the love of fishing.....you can show your appreciation by contributing money for the cause.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #14
PAL

What D50 said. Bob was president of SAC for practically forever. He doesn't have to beg to go fishing. He has an open invite with the best boats in the state. If you ever get the chance to meet him, you should, you'll enjoy it.

I had the opportunity to work very closely with Bob during the past couple years of MLPA hell. When I talked with him this morning, I shared the compliments he's been getting. And while we talked, his other phone never stopped ringing. He laughed - I know he appreciates the support.

Right now money for the legal fund is what's needed the most. Please send whatever you can. Every dollar helps.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote