Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Shelter Island, 12-31-13

Landwhale and I launched around 6:30 to a cool offshore breeze and clear skies. Water was 58.5º all day, everywhere I went. We expected a ripping current, but it was barely moving. We worked our way to an area that was supposedly hot. Turned out it wasn't so hot. I got 4 fish in about 2.5hrs. Moved out to a new area around 9:30 looking for current and found another fish. Moved again to the shoal off the Bali Hai for another fish and lots of current. It was smoking fast drifts. Drifted all the way to the launch for a few more fish. Re-drifted a few times, but didn't get anything else.

Lots of short biters today which I'm assuming were Lizards as I got one monster that hit just like the short biters. Despite only 9 fish my baits looked like I had a 50 fish day. If only I had as many fish as I had swings. Oh well, they were probably lizards anyways.

Mostly fished the 4" Flurry and 3 colors definitely stood out today... Magic Minnow, gold/chartruese, and Light Up. I also got one legal spotty on a 5.5" Big Hammer in Christmas Tree. Hot Sauce definitely helped to get bites today too.

I think next time I'd like to make it a night trip. I haven't fished Shelter in probably 3yrs, and possibly 7 or 8yrs since I night fished it. It was slow today, but I had fun and enjoyed hanging with Steve.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Lizard fish are on the chew man. Big balls of em up In oceanside right now. Don't feel too discouraged.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
LDO10

It was a beautiful day...the Big Bay's been a little difficult lately, but like you said great to be on the water with friends.

Happy New Years to all.
LDO10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Margarita Mike

Beats going to the Dr.
I've had the same thing happen lately. Not much in the way of fish count.
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
Amish Ed

Well, it definitely could've been worse. It was just not what I've learned to expect from Shelter in the winter.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
walrus

I made it to Shelter early the next morning, and only got bit just before and just after slack.

Wednesday in AM slack tide I made six spotted bass on six cast in a row. Usually it's hard to entice a bite in slack conditions but not this time. I think you're right the fast tide current had everything holding close to structure to conserve energy.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Amish Ed

6 for 6. Nice!