Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Warning! Beware of thieves at La Jolla Shores!

To the person who stole my Icom-3 marine radio off my kayak this morning at La Jolla Shores, I hope you really needed it badly. I counted on that to have in case I get into trouble on the water to call for help if needed.

I had just strapped it on my life jacket and then went to park my truck, came right back and someone took it that quick! I don't normally leave it there and keep it in my car until I park. I had a couple stop to ask a lot of questions about kayaking and I got distracted. I was right in range of the webcam so if anyone saw who took it, please contact me. There were two other kayakers on the beach at the time, one was getting ready to launch fishing and the other was just going out paddling. There was a white van that pulled up prior to my return and there were 2 guys milling around. I thought that my stuff would be okay for the few minutes it takes to park and walk back but I guess not.

Pretty sad...

Last edited by nunyabizness1; 06-07-2009 at 10:52 AM.
nunyabizness1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Maggie that sucks, hope someone saw something.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
aguachico

That sucks.

I've had good transactions with this group for online sales:

http://www.marinewholesales.com/
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

F-n Thieves!! sorry!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
JD

Really sorry to hear about thieves on the launch. I've been nervous in the past about leaving gear on the beach while parking or running back to get my truck.

I often launch solo, as i am sure most of us do, leaving our gear vunerable to theft while parking the car. Between paddle, rods, reels, fishfinder and tackle we're talking about potentially thousands to replace this gear, just left on the beach for 10 or 15 minutes. Good arguement for the buddy system i guess.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
ericjg22
Junior

Whoa... I found such a radio sitting on the beach, about to be lost to the tide, when I landed at 8:00am. PM me and it will be yours again - I planned to post that I had found it, but you beat me to it.

Last edited by ericjg22; 06-07-2009 at 12:37 PM.
ericjg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

That sucks. I usually don't leave my radio or ff on the yak in the morning. Now I really have to remember not to.

What time was it Maggie?

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjg22 View Post
Whoa... I found such a radio sitting on the beach, about to be lost to the tide, when I landed at 8:00am. IM me and it will be yours again - I planned to post that I had found it, but you beat me to it.
Good Karma.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
JD

Faith in humanity restored! This is quite a little community we have here.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Dennis

Quote:
Whoa... I found such a radio sitting on the beach, about to be lost to the tide, when I landed at 8:00am. PM me and it will be yours again - I planned to post that I had found it, but you beat me to it.
Good man..
Old 06-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
KennyHill

Dose anybody no if the video is being recorded on those camera on the resort? ive always wonderd.
KennyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
Matt
Support your local pangas

I think Eric may have gotten his just rewards!http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=5298
Old 06-07-2009, 03:57 PM   #13
nunyabizness1
Maggie

I sent a message to you Eric to see if the radio you found is mine. It was not on my kayak when I came back from my car when I strapped on my life jacket and saw it was missing. Someone had taken it off of my life jacket prior to my launch. It was strapped onto my life jacket very securely so it wouldn't have fallen off. Maybe they realized it was just for on the water or something and nothing they would need? But I specifically checked for it when I came back to the kayak before pulling the kayak to the water.

I hope this one is mine cause I really do rely on it when out there.

Thanks for posting! I will let you all know if this is it!

Last edited by nunyabizness1; 06-07-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Alan C.
Junior

Re: Missing Radio

The one that Eric found is probably yours Maggie. I passed Eric and his monster WSB (Good Job!) at the launch and you were the first person I saw on the way out and you told me about the radio.
Your idea about the launch cam is a good one though. Does anyone know if the camera has any recording ability? It'd be nice to be able to catch someone on camera and turn it over to the authorities.
Alan C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
h2ofishfo

that why i always take the kayak dolly saves u a whole lot of worry haulin azz around those streets trying to find a spot thinkin your crap is gettn jacked & w/summer here its going to be a cluster @#$% at the launch . easy in easy out
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
sterling

It kind of surprises me that stolen gear doesn't happen more often. I too use wheels and never leave my stuff un attended. Saves a lot of worry for sure.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #17
nunyabizness1
Maggie

Quote:
Hey there,

I sent you a message to try to arrange to pick up my radio sometime this week so I can use it but haven't heard back from you. Can you please contact me so that I can get the radio? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
habanero

I had a similar situation happen to me. I parked and launched but didn't notice my Icom missing until was well past the surf. I assumed it fell off because I wasn't sure if I had clipped in the strap. Now you have me wondering if someone walked off with it. I'll be thinking twice about what I leave in plain sight. I've been taking for granted my theft free record in the past.

BTW: I lost mine a long time ago and have since replaced it.
habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:47 PM   #19
?? fisherman
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabizness1 View Post
Hey there,

I sent you a message to try to arrange to pick up my radio sometime this week so I can use it but haven't heard back from you. Can you please contact me so that I can get the radio? I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Alright, I'm not a regular on this site but I'm a bit surprised that more of you aren't backing Maggie up by asking this guy what's going on here.

Here it is over a week later and the guy has not gotten back to her..... what's the story here?

It should not take too much effort to at least have the courtesy to get back to her and let her know what's going on with this radio.

Last edited by ?? fisherman; 06-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.
?? fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
nunyabizness1
Maggie

My radio was returned to me yesterday afternoon! I am very happy to have it back! I go out on the water at La Jolla on my own very frequently and do rely on having the radio as an added measure of safety.

Thanks Eric for the return of my radio! Thanks to Brent at OEX as well!