Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
buddha

Bahia Asuncion Trip

am planning to go to Bahia Asuncion for the first time in September/October for the first time with one or two friends.

If there is interest in a group going down there I would be interested in that also.

Anyone been there before with the kayaks?

Here is a link.

http://bajabnb.com/php/index.php?opt...d=13&Itemid=27

Photos

http://www.blogabond.com/Photos/Phot...px?UserID=5312
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:49 AM   #2
MalibuJohnny

Your Trip

Man that looks like a great place to visit! Have you been there? How far down or how long is the drive?

Malibujohnny
Old 02-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
buddha

12-15 hours is my guess

I have never been there but have heard nothing but good things about it.

Zach Thomas who wrote a book about trailering a boat in mexico told me that it is the best place for kayak fishing in baja and yellowtail central.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
lamb

If anyone knows, Art would be the one.

Looking at a few of those pics, it looks like a heavenly place to me!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
yellowklr
Junior

Been there before.....Just be aware that this place gets LOTS of wind so have plenty of days available because it blows for 2 or 3 days then you get a couple of nice days. Stay with Juan and Shari they are great people.
yellowklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

to Buddha Bahia Asuncion

Buddha. I was there for two weeks this last October with kayaks. and loved the place and you will too. I fished the panga with Juan three times. My wife and I fished yellow tail for the first two hours with iron on a reef up by San Pablo. the fish were 12 to 20 pounds with 15lbs being the normal fish. 6x jr and 7x jr in blue and white. Use heavy string I use 50 pound P line these fish are not line shy and you want to horse them off the reef with a tight drag. after that went trolling for tuna off the coast of San Pablo ceader plugs and mexican feathers worked for us and do not forget black and purple feathers and black and purple rapalas cd 18 think big even the small fish hit the bigger plugs down there. I mostly fish for the calicos out of the kayaks what a blast you catch alot 4lb.to 6lb calicos with a chance of gettting a 10lb fish. root beer swim baits and plain white do not need fancy colors and bring lots of them. you will loose alot to the rocks. I used 20lb. P line for the calicos to horse a way from the rocks. Do not expect any thing fancy there This an old Mexican town. The people there treated us very well there. My wife and I are going back this fall again and you can e mail Juan and Shari they will happy to answer any questions that you have. Good luck and I hopes this helps. Jim
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
'Cuda

13 hrs. from Los Angeles

I didn't make it to Asuncion as Abreojos/La Bocana had more than I could handle. I camped at Abreojos and launched from the campsite. First day I brought an 80lb. BSB to color and released....next day I paddled into a yellowfin tuna boil but couldn't hook up (I had a sport fisherman landed 4 YF and 2 dorado near me that day) and then being late Dec. the weather turned and I was never able to make it back out to the 2 mile spot....you'll be going at peak season. La Bocana had unlimited YT just out of the mouth of the estuary but wind and tides stopped me from paddling out. The 2 towns are separated by 10 miles of estuary full of bay bass and corvina and I actually saw a halibut jump out of the water chasing bait. I'm planning a 2 weeker at the end of August. Send me your e-mail and I'll send pics.
'Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #8
buddha

Jim or Cuda,

Are there any white sea bass to catch in the fall?

If it isn't windy, is the kayak fishing accessible?

I am really looking forward to going down.

If anyone wants to join us let us know.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
sitinsidejim
sitinsidejim

to buddha

Buddha at that time of year I do not know of any white sea bass being caught. I do not know if any are caught in that area at all. Besides with the tuna and yellowtail that you catch you will not care about white sea bass. Tuna and yellowtail pull alot harder than a white seabass does. I forgot to tell you that all the fish that we caught were on lures did not need live bait. Good luck Jim.
sitinsidejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
buddha

thanks jim

So I take it that simple crocodiles and the basic swimbaits will work?
I will bring heavier line.

Conditions good for kayak launching when it isn't windy?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
aguachico

Buddha;
Good job picking the right time to head to that area. I remember going in April for two consecutive years until I opened my ears and listened to the locals.

I've never been to Asuncion. I could have gone many times, but when Asuncion is good, the surrounding areas are better(the majority of the time) and I know people well in the surrounding areas.

Juan and Shari Acre run a class act B&B out of Asuncion. Shari peppers the web with fishing reposts as Juan is the skipper. You posted the question on BD, so Shari should be getting back to you quickly as they are always puishing for business. mexfish.com and bloodydecks.

My advise to you on the reports is read thru the bullshit when someone is selling a guide service and a hotel, because they never post when the fishing is bad. Also iwindsurf.com, wetsand.com and buoywether.com is your best friend. You will see that it seems to blow harder in Asuncion. IMHO.

WSB are always in the mix from Abreojos to Tortugas. I've caught them from the panga, but never from the yak. The pangueros claim the best time is at night, so that's that....

As far as tackle, I just take everything - seriously. You can be fishing for wahoo, marlin, tuna, rat yt, big yt, big garopa, hali and spotted bay bass all in the same day. All within an hour panga ride.

Feel free to PM about Baja. I'm in CV so we may be neighbors.

Art
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
Buddha;
Good job picking the right time to head to that area. I remember going in April for two consecutive years until I opened my ears and listened to the locals.

I've never been to Asuncion. I could have gone many times, but when Asuncion is good, the surrounding areas are better(the majority of the time) and I know people well in the surrounding areas.

Juan and Shari Acre run a class act B&B out of Asuncion. Shari peppers the web with fishing reposts as Juan is the skipper. You posted the question on BD, so Shari should be getting back to you quickly as they are always puishing for business. mexfish.com and bloodydecks.

My advise to you on the reports is read thru the bullshit when someone is selling a guide service and a hotel, because they never post when the fishing is bad. Also iwindsurf.com, wetsand.com and buoywether.com is your best friend. You will see that it seems to blow harder in Asuncion. IMHO.

WSB are always in the mix from Abreojos to Tortugas. I've caught them from the panga, but never from the yak. The pangueros claim the best time is at night, so that's that....

As far as tackle, I just take everything - seriously. You can be fishing for wahoo, marlin, tuna, rat yt, big yt, big garopa, hali and spotted bay bass all in the same day. All within an hour panga ride.

Feel free to PM about Baja. I'm in CV so we may be neighbors.

Art
I sent you a PM.

There are a few of us going kayak fishing at J street this Friday if you want to join us.