Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #1
BBrown

LJ 7/4

Went out at sunrise. Beautiful day. The surf was so small even I made it out and back dry. That was the best part of the day. Made bait real quick just past the preserve. Lots of big green backs at the marker, and spanish everywhere. Wind picked up around 10:00 decided to call it a day without a single pick-up. Didn't see anyone else hook up either.

Not as crowded as I had anticipated.

Still looking for that first good-up on my new kayak. I am getting tired of cleaning bait slim and scales off the yak without anything to put in the wells.

Someday...soon?

Thanks for all the good tips you all have provided on the site and the water. The personalities I have met with kayakers is quite a bit different than what I was used to fishing freshwater.

Stay Bent -
BBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #2
JrBasser

Don't feel too bad, I've got about 20 LJ trips under my belt and no yellows or WSB to show for it. There are fish in LJ, and they have to get hungry at some point. Fish SMALL baits. The smallest bait you can get is probably too big. a 3 inch mac would be too big, but you get the point. This follows the match the hatch rule, the fish are eating tiny baits, this doesnt apply to the hott late summer they'll bite anything in the water kind of fishing. Keep up the work and you'll get that clicker scream everyone loves.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
wavster

I don't agree with the small bait comment. Bigger baits attract bigger fish, so they say.

I've caught 4+lb Calicos on 8 inch greenies...

Personally, I believe the 5-6inch are probably the best, but I try all sizes.

That being said, I've still caught 90% of my fish on artificials.
wavster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Adam

Another thought...

In my experience, when there is a ton of bait in the water (as there has been in La Jolla) it can be better to use lures (irons, etc.) My theory is that the plefora of live bait in the water creates too much competition for the one bait fish with a hook in its nose. Hence it may be better to use something different (a lure) that will get the attention of the target species.

Just a theory - I'll probably change my mind about this next time I catch a large fish on live bait. Lately I've had good luck fishing irons.

Adam
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

I used to prefer small baits to big baits. I'm beginning to believe that a hungry YT will eat whatever is in it's face. I'll be interested to hear what the experience here has to say...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #6
lamb

Interesting to hear the water wasn't crowded as it usually is on the 4th. Gas prices???

On bait discussion - I went back and forth on it, but I think the size doesn't matter. It does seem to matter what kind of bait the fish are keyed into any given day... Any bait may get hit if you're in the right place at the right time. I agree there are days when artificals may provoke the strike better, but that doesn't seem to be the case all the time.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #7
Sherm

I like the bigger baits when fishing the YT. I like to use the same live bait that is in the water and being fed on. My biggest fish this year came while paddeling through a large school of macs on the surface. When it comes to too much bait in the water. I would have to disagree. The fish will usually hit the bait that is acting a little diferent. It is easier to eat a bait that looks like it would be easy to catch than the rest of the free swimmers. On the other hand I usually don't know crap

Mi dos centavos

Sherm
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
i'm no seasoned expert, but i would not adhere to the smaller bait is better bait theory.

my one and only experience:

three weeks ago i was fishing. while making bait, i hooked what i think was a large jacksmelt- about 12" or so. also made plenty of 6" spanish too.

my buddy pins on a spanish and i picked out the big daddy with 2oz weight. he paddles out away from the kelp and 5 minutes later i follow. 5 minutes later my clicker goes off and 25 minutes later i boat a nice 25lb yeller. my first yt ever and a personal best fish.

decide for yourself. as for me... i'm looking for some good large baits.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
JrBasser

Smaller bait is better when thats what the fishing are feeding on. Thats an unarguable fact. And right now, the fish are feeding on smaller baits.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #10
Brett D.

Hey BBrown, Was that you that gave me the battery?
I had the same results as you. Trolled some live macs around for about two hours then headed into the kelp for some calicos. I finished the day with 6 calicos and 8 rockfish. I was surprised at how few kayakers were out. The grassy area behind the Lifeguard station was a tent city at 4:45 am. But parking was no problem.
Brett D.
Brett D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

most summers have a time when the school yellowtail(the 8-15 pounders) will only eat sardines. I was out on a 1/2 day family reunion trip last week and the masters of surface iron threw iron through the yt many times with only a follow here and there. The patient sardine anglers could pick through the barracuda and got a few yt. I have had pbers in mid summer just spankin em right by me slow trolling sardines and nothing with would hit my mackerel.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #12
BBrown

Hey Brett,

That was me. I hope they work well for you.

Stay Bent -
BBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrBasser View Post
Smaller bait is better when thats what the fishing are feeding on. Thats an unarguable fact. And right now, the fish are feeding on smaller baits.

unarguable? I know a bunch of larger YT that would beg to differ (or beg not to have eaten the big greenies that were their undoing).