Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #1
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
Simply Skunked!

Okay- I'll admit it... I'm a novice. I havn't been fishing (seriously) very long at all. Through the wonderful efforts and love of my soon-to-be wife/(novice) angler's widdow, I was just recently able to obtain my first kayak for my birthday. I've been coveting yours for so long- now I have mine.

So I have to pay my dues- right. I get it- I can roll with it. It's usually part of any 12 step program.

Se we headed out early morning of 7-28 to get our fish on- ready for whatever came our way. NOTHING!!! - except for the one Bonita my buddy caught- and he's a pretty advanced angler but mellow and easy going about it the way you'd want someone to be. He's pretty much taught me what I know.

We spent close to 10 hours on the water that day and left with having a great time- but tails between legs and somewhat frustrated nonetheless. We never made bait and I never even got a bite to speak of. I know we were not the only party have have this wild success that day.

SO- a couple of questions if there is someone(s) willing to oblige:

Is ther a formula to follow for success at La Jolla? I hear about making bait at the pier and going from there- is that a necessity? Or are there other ways of going about it?

Where to from there? are there areas that hold fish better that others on a regular basis that usually reaps success?

I've read some chater about radio usage- is there a particular channel used ( I have a GMRS/FMRS capable radio) that experienced La Jolla anglers use?

Thanks in advance for the insight and advice.

Your fellow low-key (yet completely stoked) and personable (novice) angler,
Andy
zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #2
Mr Mugu

I think it's all about "time on the water." Hooking up with one of the regulars wouldnt hurt. Just by reading the reports I was able to plan my first trip out there...somewhat succesfully....made plenty of bait at the pier..and was in the vicinity of fish being caught.
You're lucky in that LJ is a very fishy place with a fast learning curve. Hopefully my learning curve there will result in the right kind sometime this week!
Sure beats trying to figure out just where along Malibu's 27 miles of coastline to fish.
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Ive fished LJ every weekend since April 1st and haven't caught the right kind yet....seems I am cursed.....in april, I went out and everybody was hooked up on WSB and I was washed away with the current trying to make bait.... It was my first time out and I did it alone and without much advice... Then last week I went out any dudes were catching YT everywhere and I blew the fuse and my timer switch by installing my battery backwards ( ops: ) and was forced to fish in 40' water because I didn't want to get too far from an Area that I find bait.... Yesterday I go out and I make 10-15 macs....head way out to where the new seaforth and other pb's were early and I hookup, as I am reeling, my second rod goes off.... I hit the lever drag, try to set the hook with my free hand and the 25' fluoro leader breaks just behind the knot on the connecting swivel... I get the othere fish in and it was a boney, as was the other I assume but I really don't know... I re-bait my other rod and let the mac take off about 30' feet and then I drift while re-rigging my second rod.... as I am re-tying, something hits my mac on the surface and crushes it without any teeth marks...but the macs dead and I bait up and finish re-tying....I'm on the last knot and the clicker screams again and I throw it on strike and I set the hook....pulls hard for a minute but it comes unbuttoned....finally I bait up both rods, and start a troll... One rod goes off and I let it take it, put it in strike and set the hook, go to reel and the the handle is stuck (freespool is fine though :?: )... loose the fish but I'm down to 1 rod and a couple of macs.... after checking my bait to find a bare hook, 1 lame mac, and 1 bite that took the bait, I was finished early with multiple chances and only 1 on board (released)... Your not the only one who finds themselves short sometimes, just hang in there....

About bait.... I haven't ever tried to make bait at the peir (cuz I'm lazy), but I find that if I go to the existing kelp and drop my sabiki down to where their top is (in some places it's about 15' down), I'll find bait when most are unable... the peir is a good place though, I should probably fall in line to save myself time...
Good luck..
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Dennis

Welcome to the wonderful world of kayak fishin'... Everyone will tell you, "Time on the water is key". And it is. You'll find your own spots, and catch sooner or later. Although a lot of people are cool to talk to, some might get tired of having people follow them around thinking they'll put them on fish.. When I first started kayak fishing, it took me 6 months before landing a quality (big) fish. So, trust me I know what frustration is all about... Especially when the NW corner erupts with springtime yellows, with only 5 veteran kayak fishermen on the water, and I don't hook up. And I was putting close to 4-5 days a week on the water back then...
Hit the launch early (0415, that's what time I get there). It's usually enough time to paddle to the pier and make bait. It gives you enough time to load up on macs, and get to the grounds before grey light. Channel 71 is the channel.
Right on,
D
Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
sterling

If you simply want to get on the board and catch something. Go "low", and or fish the kelp line. In and around the kelp the Calicos have been biting. You can throw fishtraps or other retrieve lures at them. Make a "Surface" anchor with rope brass clips and a shock absorber "Bunge materail" somewhere in the line. You can tie off to the kelp and fish the bottom with squid or macs. The bungee shock absorber is needed so you don't get jerked with the swell and fall out. The bottom along the kelp can produce; Halibut, Sheephead, Whitefish,Sandbass, Calicos,Cabezon,Johnny bass,rockfish,trefish, and others.
If you want to hit a homerun Yellowtail, Whiteseabass. Making bait is usually paramount! Without fresh live bait you can sit in a wide open bite crying your eyes out. Been there. On making bait. FF is really important. Many times I will get right in the kelp "when there is a big forest" and drop a few feet down maybe up to 20 depending on if I can see a hole. One caution is this takes some practice since you could spent a lot of time snaged. You could also try just outside the kelp during first light. I find once the sun gets out they eighter go deep in the kelp or out in deep water. That is where the ff comes in. One can find bait throughout the day by metering bait balls that pass under you. The pier is reliable for the coveted Greenbacks. They are under and around the pier before grey light. The lights on the pier must bring them in. Making bait before grey light sometime is critical to not miss the bite. Also I find it hard to make bait in and around the kelp before you can see into the water. Don't be afraid to retire a sabiki rig. The ones with real mackerel skin I have found very effective. Also you can tip your sabikis with squid and some with chum with dry catfood when the bait is tough.

Slow trolling a mac. These guys are pelagic. Your not fishing a hole but a territory they are hunting. COVER SOME GROUND. Work an area. Keep your eyes open for signs. Diving birds, Crashing bait, Visable yt signs; puddlers, boils, and breezers, other anglers hooked up. Once the fish is running with the bait make sure it is in freespool and WAIT to a count of ten. I am big time guilty of not waiting long enough you get short hookups this way. These guys are schooling most of the time. Once one has the bait they run a bit to get away from the others before swallowing. If you set the drag to early you'll many time just rip it out of his mouth. I've done that enough times to now be broken of that bad habit. The fish I got yesterday I waited soooo long, it was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth.

I find it best to use a lever drag and a level wind. This allows you to put in in freespool with the clicker on the mac will usually not be continually taking line. Once the fish runs all you have to do is take the clicker off. In that frenzied second trust me you don't want too many steps. Take the clicker off count to 8-10. Then the lever drag is already set so just push it up to the button. If your using circle hooks then just wait for it to load up. The level wind is a convienece plus while in freespool while paddling to get it way back there it helps in not creating a birds nest.
These are some points that I have learned through trial and error over a few years. I hope some it helps.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:17 AM   #6
sterling

If you simply want to get on the board and catch something. Go "low", and or fish the kelp line. In and around the kelp the Calicos have been biting. You can throw fishtraps or other retrieve lures at them. Make a "Surface" anchor with rope brass clips and a shock absorber "Bunge materail" somewhere in the line. You can tie off to the kelp and fish the bottom with squid or macs. The bungee shock absorber is needed so you don't get jerked with the swell and fall out. The bottom along the kelp can produce; Halibut, Sheephead, Whitefish,Sandbass, Calicos,Cabezon,Johnny bass,rockfish,trefish, and others.
If you want to hit a homerun Yellowtail, Whiteseabass. Making bait is usually paramount! Without fresh live bait you can sit in a wide open bite crying your eyes out. Been there. On making bait. FF is really important. Many times I will get right in the kelp "when there is a big forest" and drop a few feet down maybe up to 20 depending on if I can see a hole. One caution is this takes some practice since you could spent a lot of time snaged. You could also try just outside the kelp during first light. I find once the sun gets out they eighter go deep in the kelp or out in deep water. That is where the ff comes in. One can find bait throughout the day by metering bait balls that pass under you. The pier is reliable for the coveted Greenbacks. They are under and around the pier before grey light. The lights on the pier must bring them in. Making bait before grey light sometime is critical to not miss the bite. Also I find it hard to make bait in and around the kelp before you can see into the water. Don't be afraid to retire a sabiki rig. The ones with real mackerel skin I have found very effective. Also you can tip your sabikis with squid and some with chum with dry catfood when the bait is tough.

Slow trolling a mac. These guys are pelagic. Your not fishing a hole but a territory they are hunting. COVER SOME GROUND. Work an area. Keep your eyes open for signs. Diving birds, Crashing bait, Visable yt signs; puddlers, boils, and breezers, other anglers hooked up. Once the fish is running with the bait make sure it is in freespool and WAIT to a count of ten. I am big time guilty of not waiting long enough you get short hookups this way. These guys are schooling most of the time. Once one has the bait they run a bit to get away from the others before swallowing. If you set the drag to early you'll many time just rip it out of his mouth. I've done that enough times to now be broken of that bad habit. The fish I got yesterday I waited soooo long, it was perfectly hooked in the corner of the mouth.

I find it best to use a lever drag and a level wind. This allows you to put in in freespool with the clicker on the mac will usually not be continually taking line. Once the fish runs all you have to do is take the clicker off. In that frenzied second trust me you don't want too many steps. Take the clicker off count to 8-10. Then the lever drag is already set so just push it up to the button. If your using circle hooks then just wait for it to load up. The level wind is a convienece plus while in freespool while paddling to get it way back there it helps in not creating a birds nest.
These are some points that I have learned through trial and error over a few years. I hope some it helps.
sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
Well I would certainly consider all of that useful information. I appreciate the time and willingness you have all taken to share.

Thank you!
zeelaagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
madscientist

Here's a quick and dirty way. Paddle straight out to the buoy and make some bait about 100-200yds WSW of the buoy. There's almost always spanish there and some greenies may cruise through. Throw a bait on the flyline and troll the bait and the sabiki (if you still want some greenies) out along the 75ft line until you are even with the "hotel" (big square building; even means you can't see either side). Swap the sabiki for a second bait with 1-2oz on it. Troll the 75ft contour as far as you feel comfortable, then turn around and troll back. Summertime LJ in a nutshell.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

thanks bro.... I'll have to try that one... I'm getting tired of the long paddle to the 80'-90' with the pbers... I'm down to one rod seeing as my MXl is @ noahs for a fixin... hopefully the single stick attempt saturday won't be a bust... I guess it'll will help me avoid tangles when I do get a YT... I said hello as you were runnin by on saturday but you were in a hurry... Nice seeing ya again...
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
DESTROYER

I'm lazy as well! I almost never paddle to the pier unless bait is impossible to make. I use my depth finder to find bait. Make a friend out there, it's pretty easy if you go enough. Someone out there is going to be on the same schedule as you. Don't over think it! Put your bait 50 feet behind and troll it. I'm starting to believe that Florocarbon is overated bullshit. I got a 22# YT this last Thursday on 40# Big Game. The water is not Clean or Blue enoug for Floro to be useful. I went my first year, 8 months without a YT or WSB, then one day I got both in the same day. Half of it is just luck, Ask Brad? I bet you his ratio for the year is about 1:3 on the right kind. Meaning, he fishes 3 times a week and most likely only catches the right kind once every three times he goes fishing. Don't over Think it Good luck!

Moyer
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #11
Johnp

I used 20# flouro topshot from a tackle shop on one rod and 30# seaguar on the other flyline and the 30# is the one that kept on getting picked up?
Any opinions, is the seaguar just superior.

It's the shop many of us use, and i believe in their quality so any theories.

This has been consistant on three trips now.
Johnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
steveooo

300+ hours and 9 months since a big fish has bled on my deck. My problem? I fish when work allows, not when the fish are biting. Like Matt said, when it rains, it pours. Teachers are off the entire month of August, look out BABY!!! Keep plugging along and they will come, listen to the advice of the pros posted above, you pick out who the pros are 8) 8) 8)
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote