Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
ship 4 brains

Why Can't I Cast A Baitcaster

I don't know if I am the most uncoordinated person on earth, but I have a hell of a time casting a baitcaster reel without backlashing - EVERY TIME.

I grew up on spinning reels and can cast very well. But everyone I see uses a baitcaster reel, unless they are on the east coast.

Any suggestions or tricks. I spend more time picking out birds nests than fishing.
ship 4 brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Adjust the spool tension, don't swing for the fences every cast, to little or too much weight being casted makes it difficult and practice, practice, practice. And remember, 50% of the time all of that goes out the door when the yellows are boiling. Atleast for me it does.
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
forefrazier

Get this....

http://www.totalvid.com/Fishing-Vide...anced-Casting/

and then practice, practice, practice.
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
aguachico

When I moved to San Deigo from Philly, I faced the same dilema. I'll give you the same advice I received from an old salt.

Practice.

BTW: you do put your thumb on the spool seconds before your lure hits the water? Of course you do...

I was able to go to the pier and practice before they kicked me off - "no overhead casting". Their are two main tyoes of casting in Socal. One tossing a bait, sardine/chovey with 20-40#.Two, slinging iron with rods 8-10feet 30#/40# test.

Bait - it's like a lob. The motion is smooth. Your just trying to get the bait away from the boat with tearing the bait. Try practicing with a fishtrap and a bait hook. No weight. Lob it 5 feet, then 10 feet. You will learn the rythm of the toss, when to release your thumb mid stgream and stop the spool before the baiot hits the water.

Iron - I was fortunate enough to spend time on the bow of the daily double watching the old dudes throw the iron. The first I noticed was the tempo. Then when I tried it, it was easy to see that if you get excited and try to tweak the distance 10% more, it ususlaly resulted in a backlash.

I played lacrosse, so my move is similar.

Eventually you will learn that the spool backlashes and catches up towrds the end of the cast.

Throw short and clean and accurate. Then as you get better, the distance and tempo will improve.

Pick a spot on the water where you want the iron to land and that will improve your tempo. If you throw at the horizon, it usually casts dirty.

Wind the spool level and the next cast is smooth.

When your line is kinked from throwing, change it

All good casters backlash.

I could talk about this for every. I wish I was younger so I could cast all day. Youth is wasted on the young
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
kareem korn

What brinkman said. Bring whatever bait your using to the tip. It should be tight enough that you have to twitch the end and the lure drops than stops. You have to readjust depending on the weight lure used. I'm using one for the first time in 40 years and it casts like butta. Never knew what I was missing.
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM   #6
taggermike

Yo Ship, maybe you are just uncoordinated. But you can still learn to cast. Practice is every thing. You skills will improve and you will learn the feel of your equipment. What kind of gear are you using? Some baitcasters are easier to use but they all have a cast control knob and some have magnetic systems that slow the spool. Learn to use them. Start with the cast control fairly tight and spend some time practicing. Go some place with few people and cast away. You don't need to swing for the horizon, nice and easy does it. You'll get it. Like aquachico said, all good casters get backlashes. You'll get it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
anjcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship 4 brains View Post
I don't know if I am the most uncoordinated person on earth, but I have a hell of a time casting a baitcaster reel without backlashing - EVERY TIME.

I grew up on spinning reels and can cast very well. But everyone I see uses a baitcaster reel, unless they are on the east coast.

Any suggestions or tricks. I spend more time picking out birds nests than fishing.
It happened to me too. Adjust spool tension (if your reel avail. ) or use your thump. Practice is what you need.
anjcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
dorado50

Another point that may help, when spooling line onto reel the line must leave the spool from the top and land on the top of the reel, that is to say, do not reverse the memory of the spooled line when applying to reel. If reverse memory happens you will tangle no matter what you do right.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
french111@sbcglobal.net
Junior

tie on a 1/2 sliding sinker direct and practice casting in a open field. Alway set the freespool full open. Once u get decent casting dry line good. You will cast a 100 times better when fishing. I practiced in the habor with a lead head and always practice to keep fresh on the beach or yard. On top of all that I can get out birds nest quicker than most, happens to all professional fisherman!
french111@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Grego

I guess I was "lucky" since my bro wouldn't take me LMB fishing until I could use a baitcasting reel, so I was forced to learn in elementary school. I think it was one of those Daiwa Millionaire 4h blue things.

Anyhoo, I had to be able to cast different weights and place them in a general area in my mom's backyard. The way I learned was with heavy stuff first (2oz or so sinker) and then eventually after months of practice I could cast a couple wooden clothes pin a good 25 feet or so, accurately. The heavier it is, the easier it is to cast. I recommend going to a park or a school grassy playground since you have more strength than a school kid like I was. Ideally, go where there is water to toss into.

You need to adjust the cast control system (knob) to the weight you're casting, otherwise you'll increase the chance of backlash. If you stick your weight on the line, hold your rod straight out and parallel to the ground. Now hit your clutch bar and the weight will drop. Tighten or loosen the cast control until the weight drops at a nice steady speed, the slower it drops the less distance you will get when you cast, but the less likely you'll get a backlash.

When you first start out, you should tighten it so it drops rather slowly. As you get more experience and smooth out your casting speed you can adjust it so it drops a little faster. It takes practice to know how much strength to use in your arms/wrist, how far down the weight will be from the tip of the rod before you start your cast, when to release your thumb off the spool, getting the feel to start thumbing the spool as the weight starts to drop to slow it down so your not overcasting, and when to ultimately stop the cast. Don't forget to pinch the line a little as you're reeling in the line if you're on dry land. There's no resistance and so when you start reeling it in the line will come on loose and subsequently increase chances of backlash.

Off a kayak you can use a overhead or sidewarm cast, but if you fish off the party boats you'll need to practice casting underhand also. After learning the bait cast reel, then you need to learn the conventional reel and learn to guide the line back evenly onto the spool. When your confident enough to cast in the dark by listening to your spool wind down and then easing on some thumb pressure, you're a jedi! I still can't do that.

Also, some reels have cast control mechanisms built into them. Read your manual and adjust them as needed.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
h2ofishfo

buy a stella case solved
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

When I was a kid, I went down to the park with my jigstick, and heavy torpedo weight. Start heavy, then work your way to lighter weights.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
steveooo

I practiced casting with a pillow tied onto my jigstick, and and slowly worked my way up to marshmallows after reading this story.

NY - Man struck and killed by lead fishing weight

The Associated Press . July 30, 2008
A man fishing off Long Island is dead after a 3-ounce lead fishing weight attached to his pole struck him in the face and dug into his brain.
Relatives and a physician say Roosevelt resident Jaime Chicas died Tuesday from severe head trauma and herniation.
A neurologist at Nassau University Medical Center says the lead weight from Chicas' fishing pole hit with "so much force that it kept going" and lodged in the back of his head.
Relatives say the 21-year-old was fishing with his brother-in-law and cousin at the west end of Jones Beach Friday when the accident happened.
Lead sinkers are commonly used by fishermen to sink lures more rapidly.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote