Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-12-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
peguinpower
bing!

New pedal powered kayak to hit the market...

Its a prototype right now, but its very promising.

See fer yer self - http://www.nativewatercraft.com/pedal/pedalboat.html
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #2
One Rev

That certainly eliminates the major default of the Hobie Mirage drive which is being able to go backwards at will. With the Hobie you have to pull out the paddle to move backward. It also looks a little faster with less effort. I don't like the canoe type design of the boat. I guess I'm too partial to the SOT.
Mike
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
madscientist

It seems to me that there is one major design flaw (and several small ones). By using a rotary pedal rather than the Hobie style back & forth, there needs to be enough clearance on the bottom end of the pedal stroke. That means the center of the thing has to be off the floor by the radius of the crank arm, plus a little for foot clearance. The result is that the pedaller's feet are just about above his head at the top of the stroke. That does not look comfortable for very long, and that big ass drive in the middle of the cockpit would be a major headache while fishing.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Rev View Post
That certainly eliminates the major default of the Hobie Mirage drive which is being able to go backwards at will. With the Hobie you have to pull out the paddle to move backward.

You dont need to pull the drive on the Hobie. You just need to pull the paddle of the holder and paddle backwards

This drive is very promising and may be very efficient. The speed is impresive. I think they should make the drive in two parts. Removable pedal drive up front, and a spiral cable to transmit the power and a folding prop in the back.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #5
Dan

i kind of like it. those are some industrious little swamp critters. It sounds as if they're about to be eaten by cicadas.

I could imagine casting an iron, and peddling backwards to get some line out and some distance and then getting a great long retrieve.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
One Rev

I noticed that he mentioned the first unit they built had a driveshaft to the prop. I would be interested seeing that configuration. I like that idea also /bing. Get that prop to the rear of the kayak someway and get a little ground clearance. I get Mad's deal with it too. Who the heck wants to lay on their back with their feet in the air while pedaling. The one guy in the video kept trying to extol the virtues of laying that seat back real far to pedal.
I'm intrigued by the setup though.
Mike
One Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

I could imagine casting an iron, and peddling backwards to get some line out and some distance and then getting a great long retrieve.
you mean to get ur backlashes out ..?
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:34 PM   #8
dorf

Way too many moving parts. I was looking for the guy to drop the cotter pin as he was trying to get the drive locked in. Once you have it mounted cool but then you have to put that cover on. Like to see them try getting in and out of surf. I prefer my Mirage Drive as it is one peace only and can be flush to the hull. I'd like to see how that thing handles the weeds. The mirage drive cuts thru it pretty good.
Good idea but needs some work.
dorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #9
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan The Sealion View Post
you mean to get ur backlashes out ..?
that too.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:22 AM   #10
Grego

That pedal craft/boat is kinda weird looking. I'll stick to kayak fishing.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Slay Rider

I like it and want to give one a test peddle.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:35 PM   #12
Joe11

I like seeing guys trying new things. This one of course has issues to work out. Also love how hey bash the time tested Mirage drive while extoling the virtues of their prototype.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote