Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

1st solo yakkin'/surf clinic

The Fishcatcher and I decided to attend the surf clinic at San O put on by Andy, Cabo, and Troy. Main reason being that they were going to have a couple of the Mini X's there, and Cabo told us that he was bringing his, and that I should have Clay give it a paddle. Clay had been hounding me about getting his own yak, seems bored in front of the tandem, and he does have that no fear attitude...no idea where he got that from.

I initially thought of getting him one of the Hobie pedal models, not knowing if he could keep up with the paddling.

He had been anticipating this day, so it was not a problem waking him up at oh-dark-thirty. Actually never is when there's fishing involved...

Met everyone at the beach, and had Clay listen in to the advice they were giving. Clay was itching to give the yak a spin, unfortunately all of the Mini X's were in use and he had to wait.

Finally got a chance, so he and I launched out to see how he could handle it. I felt like Gulliver on the Mini, while it fit Clay perfectly.
We stayed inside the safe zone, which at San O means between the outside sets and the unforgiving shore break.

He did great, kept the bow pointed forward, and even managed to catch a couple waves in. Until he got caught sideways after successfully surfing one in. Needless to say, he got his arse handed to him - the first of two smack downs. I botched it, should have been on the beach, alas, I was still just past the break, so did some fast and furious paddling to get to him. What a sight. Poor lad was caught under the yak, and a guy on the beach had to lift the yak off of him. I caught one in, calmed him down, then heard those terrible words - "I don't want to kayak anymore."

Wait. Do you mean ever again, for a couple months, any more today, huh? Panic set in. After about a half hour, he sees the group out again, fishing, and he's ready for more.

I had my yak rigged and ready, but by now the sets were up a bit. Tried to get him to go out on the tandem so we can fish, he wanted nothing to do with it. After what seemed like an eternity discussing it, I stashed my gear in the truck so that the yak was stripped down in case I needed to do a rescue.
That was not to be. Showing complete confidence and convincing himself (and myself) that he could make it past the waves, we launched yet again. And as you can see, he looked like a veteran. At age 7.

Ya just gotta love the next couple pics......

Great form, listened the entire time, we timed the sets perfect, he kept the bow pointed in the right direction, even though, as you can see, this was not your typical calm and glassy conditions with no surf...no whining from him about the surf or conditions. Just pure bliss....

The first time I took Clay to this place, I had my Drifter, and with Clay in front and a good game plan with Cabo, we punched through the surf.
It was on the way in however, where that day owned me. As Clay and I were paddling in, a roguer got us, picked up the stern, and I knew we were in trouble. Didn't help to have Clay lean forward. We buried the bow, I held onto the boy and waited for Cabo to do his drive-by, where I threw Clay in his yak, they surfed in, and I took a swim to get to my yak.

But that was then.
And this my friends, is now.

We paddled a bit, went outside, then came time to head in. With no complaints of chop, wind, or being tired, we started the paddle back in, caught a couple of the outside swells, and as we got closer to the shore, told him this time I would land first, in case he needed help. Nope. Kept the bow straight, used the paddle to keep the yak straight, clean landing.

Stoked. Now for Getting Owned #2.
Lad decides some boogie boarding is in order, NB Wedge style. After getting lifted airborn, and slammed by the unforgiving surf break, I only saw the boogie board flying up the gritty sand. As the wave receeded, there he was, with a nice cherry above the brow where he did his best Superman imitation.

He walked up the incline, worked, and was spitting out sand. Then he spat a small black rock. Nice. He got owned. And then went back out. After another wave picked him up and launched him again, he stayed on the board, and flew in to the beach.

"Daddy, did you see that?"

Yes son. Now please pass me the defibrillator........

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher

Last edited by Tman; 08-06-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 AM   #2
Dennis

.. CLASSIC! Father and son trips are the best! Thanks for the report.
-D
Old 08-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
Zed
BANNED

That was a pummeling even rossman (Zed Sr.) might not get back up from.
But a little playtime on the beach to forget the sandy abrasions, a little pep-talk about how everyone gets attacked by the sand monster sometime, and Clay was paddling for SCI, leaving T-man in his wake.

That was awesome! The mini-X was just the right size for the scale model Clay. Super impressive how he took to it. Real good stroke he's got there, pop!

Z
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Nice getting Clay out there on his own boat. I can't wait to see him with a wsb or yt as big as he is .

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
lamb

Very cool...

Clay is getting bigger...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
zeelaagee

Send a message via AIM to zeelaagee
PROUD PAPA!!!

Nice work- I was thinking of you guys while I was enjoying the delightful 100+degrees of landlocked Scottsdale.

Glad you guys had a good time... I'll have to make it next time.

A
Old 08-07-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
BOZ
Junior

He looks like a natural!!! First, a surfboard this summer, and now this.

Pretty soon he'll be towing both you and me around

Looks like we have waterman in the works!!!

Boz
BOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Thanks for the replies guys...definitely a natural, had no fear at all.

He is listo por La Jolla, will be heading out next Saturday with Cabo for his first solo fish catching experience.

Anyone have a Mini X for sale...cheap?
I'd snag Cabo's, but it belongs to Kailey....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Dan

Nice Tman.....way to get him out there. My oldest is on the cusp of being ready to lagoon it.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:50 PM   #10
jimbofish
Junior

Nice Job Clay!! Tman you better tell him Jimbo said so!

Tman, in talking to you last night, you said you weren't fishing this Saturday? Yes or NO? Cabo coming down? Call me-