Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #21
mtnbykr2

bought sixty feet behind, hook the mack just behind the head across the back, not in the spine of course, it will kinda force the bait to swim down...weight, depends on the wind and current...use your discretion, if the fricken birds are takin' your line, you need weight...lol
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #22
maui jim

Just follow the NEW SEAFORTH around. If you get close enough the will give free irons tossed at you....
Old 07-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #23
Jonesyak

When you are using a weight with live bait do you use a slip egg sinker? With or without a swivel? Or do you stick a crimp on weight a few inches back from the hook?fficeffice" />>>
>>
Also, I know I am supposed to use some sort of clip on weight with the sabiki rig... how big? And can I just rig up an egg sinker to tie on to the end?>>
>>
Lastly, this is my first time making bait... which size rig should I use? I have different size set ups with different amounts of hooks...>>
>>
Last lastly lol, how many baits do you guys usually make before proceeding to fishing??>>
>>
Thanks again!!!>>
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
raffman55

When I get a bait, I pin it on and throw it out on a free line, if I get two, throw one free, one weighted, and keep the sabiki working for more. If I don't get any more action after 10-15 minutes, I move a bit, and look for surface movement. I need a battery for bait tank, but I've yakked around with a bait tube that can hold 4-6 decent greenies with no problem. If you're on bait, stay and get as much as you can if not move on. Do not be discouraged, repeat after me,"time on the water, time on the water..."
Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #25
TJones

Money well spent

Thanks Josh and Kevin. . Good times.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

i always believe in self learning, so i can't say to hire kevin or josh (even though they DO put people on fish because they are yak gods). i would advise to buy a fish finder. you NEED to know what to look for underwater because the surface looks all the damn same.

if you cant do that.. then you do what nature does... follow the birds. you make bait at the grounds, and shove it in a bait tube (cost $5 to make). then you stare around for any activity. fish boils, or birds diving is a great thing.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #27
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesyak View Post
When you are using a weight with live bait do you use a slip egg sinker? With or without a swivel? Or do you stick a crimp on weight a few inches back from the hook?fficeffice"

I nose hook my mackerel because they troll better that way.

Weight wise I flyline of there is a hot surface bite but if it's slow I just slide a half ounce egg on the line with no stop or swivel.

If there's fish working deeper I use a one and a half to three once egg, with a swivel and three feet of fluorcarbon. When fishing this way I let out sitting still, and drop it to the bottom. Then put a few cranks on to get it five feet or so up. Then troll it that far out. The idea is that when I stop to cast iron etc.. the bait will sink down till it's just off the bottom, but not drop so deep it can hang. When I'm paddling it will rise up in the water column. The faster I go the higher it get's the slower the deeper, and since I'm usually on the move covering ground looking for fish then stopping when I find them it covers a lot of the water column.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #28
jorluivil

Roughly 15 trips to LJ
198 miles round trip
15 gallons of fuel per trip on average
$4.25/gallon
4-5 hours drive time round trip

When I caught my first WSB at LJ I stopped keeping track of my trips

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer

Last edited by jorluivil; 07-28-2012 at 04:06 PM.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:12 AM   #29
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
I nose hook my mackerel because they troll better that way.

Weight wise I flyline of there is a hot surface bite but if it's slow I just slide a half ounce egg on the line with no stop or swivel.

If there's fish working deeper I use a one and a half to three once egg, with a swivel and three feet of fluorcarbon. When fishing this way I let out sitting still, and drop it to the bottom. Then put a few cranks on to get it five feet or so up. Then troll it that far out. The idea is that when I stop to cast iron etc.. the bait will sink down till it's just off the bottom, but not drop so deep it can hang. When I'm paddling it will rise up in the water column. The faster I go the higher it get's the slower the deeper, and since I'm usually on the move covering ground looking for fish then stopping when I find them it covers a lot of the water column.

Jim
Thank you for the details.
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #30
yaky yak

I do pretty good at LJ for an out of towner. I don't spend a lot of time making bait. I have had good luck yo yoing iron. I do it all year. I like to have a surface jig set up, my yo yo jig set up, and a lighter 20# class outfit for trolling macks. I got rid of my bait tank a long time ago, and relie on a home made bait tube, works fine.
Yellows like to move around I believe so I do the same thing I am all over the place. You got to believe your going to get hit on the next cast.
I am 50/50 on catching yellows on bait and on jigs. I have a baitcasting set-up for my subiki rig. I use heavyer pound test 15 to 20# for subiki's and use a single hooked spoon on the end. I have got some good size fish on my subiki rig while trying for bait.
Getting a fish finder was a game changer. I have a cheap little humming bird FF. Less then a 100.00 I search for bait balls then drop my iron on them, works pretty good for me some times.
I may make 5 or 6 trips for nothing, but then BAM fish on. That feeling of a big beast pulling your yak around motivates me through the dry spells.
I often spend 12 hours on the water and paddle 15 miles or so around LJ. I am proof that hard work and dumb luck will get you fish if you lack skill. I have a cheap kayak, a cheap car, and cheap rods, yet still get several yellowtail each year. If I could only get a WSB now I'd be happy. Good luck and put in work, you'll get bit.
yaky yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #31
Jonesyak

Thank for all the advice and encouragement! Perfect advice Jim thank you.
Had a great day on the water yesterday. Cought lots of bait fish and my first yellow bite. Next week I will try again.

When putting a small FF on a yak, do you have to cut holes for the transducer? I have a decent spot to mount the monitor, just not sure where to go after that. And my 6v batt is in a soft pack behind my seat, not sure how that will play in.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #32
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesyak View Post
Thank for all the advice and encouragement! Perfect advice Jim thank you.
Had a great day on the water yesterday. Cought lots of bait fish and my first yellow bite. Next week I will try again.

When putting a small FF on a yak, do you have to cut holes for the transducer? I have a decent spot to mount the monitor, just not sure where to go after that. And my 6v batt is in a soft pack behind my seat, not sure how that will play in.
Check the Share Your Innovations thread and check out the way others are mounting their transducers. I know there's guys out there that have cut holes in their kayak for the transducer, this is the one type of install where you measure 10 times and cut once.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #33
icelogger

I appreciate the info as well. I've kayak fished 6 times and been skunked 4 times. What keeps me going is trying a new technique each time out. Tomorrow I will try and catch bait for the first time.

Good luck.
icelogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #34
cowboybill

never give up...

Hey, I can appreciate your pain. One of the guides is definitely a great idea.

I have been doing this for less than 3 years...

First Year I got spoiled. I slammed the YTs for a beginner. I even doubled once! I got a little cocky(time on da wata wtf!?!?)...

2nd year was very dry. While my bay fishing somewhat improved, my LJ trips were not productive (I caught some threshers, calico, misc rock fish but no YT or WSB).

Went on a 1-1/2 day boat at the end of the year and limited out on YT, got a Dorado, and won the $ pool (yahoo free trip!). That did help my confidence.

In my third year, I am learning that fishing is part art, luck and feel, mixed with science and patience. When I try too hard, get frustrated, or discouraged it doesn't work... If I dont care at all it doesnt work either!?!
There isnt an exact "what to do", but there is lots of general what to do and not do

Keep at it, keep a positive attitude (you could be working or ???)

I have been skunked, but seen some amazing cool stuff while gettn good exercise!

You gotta have a fish finder, even a cheap one! Just knowing your depth is invaluable! Trust me those guides use depth a lot!

Best wishes!
Cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #35
Jonesyak

Thank you cowboybill! Any chance you were on the water 8/3? Watched a guy on a red revo fight a big thresher for a while... (saw your red revo in your avatar pic)

Kayaking, and kayak fishing truly is an addiction. I am happy that I was able to get an old Hobie to beat the initial learning curve a little... however now that I am trying to get on the water at least once, if not twice a week I have decided to upgrade my yak.

I think the one of the best pieces of advice everyone has to offer is get a FF. Even if you’re not targeting under water structure, or even fish themselves, knowing your depth is simply invaluable...

I started with a hobie mirage classic, and outfitter a custom bait tank and rod holders. Now that I am comfortable spending 6+ hours in the water, launching and landing with full gear, I have decided to upgrade to a outback or PA (pending funds =)

As far as hiring one of the pros, no matter how badly I want to, I know that once I finally do get my tail, that I will be much happier knowing I did it on my own =)

Tight lines everyone!!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #36
cowboybill

comeback.

Naw.... wasnt me. I have a Tarpon 160... and I paddle!

Actually just picked up a hobie.. and am gettin it rigged.

One side note... My Wilderness Tarpon hull feels way better built than my hobie hull!

I almost always wear a cowboy hat out there so if you see me say howdy!

My new rig is a Sand colored Revolution 13...

cowboybill
cowboybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
Dirty Curti

Great thread and a lot of contribution from many. Jonesyak has asked all of the questions that are in my head as well. I've fished from cattle boats for years and it just feels different on the Kayak. No body is chumming for you, there isn't a captain putting you on a marked spot, no bait readily available. You are on your own in the elements.

My son and I hit LJ for the first time yesterday. Perfect weather, water conditions, made bait but couldn't find the fish. You start wondering if your techniques are wrong, if you're in the wrong place. I saw plenty of other yaks around but nobody was catching anything yesterday. I did see birds working outside a couple of times but I wasn't willing to paddle out there just yet. I think next time I will because several boats stayed in that are most of the time.

We will be putting our time on the water for sure but any and all advice from the experienced is grateful.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote