Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #1
sasha

SUN TAN LOTION

Ok guys what is the best sun tan lotion out there. Tried the search but for some reason i couldnt find anything.. I know something was posted about it before... If possible something that is not oily or smelly... The highest SPF possible..

Thanks
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
FARRIER

Headhunter is great stuff. not the best on your skin but works great at repelling el cancer himself. Doesn't sweat or run into your eyes. And its good for a few hours.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
Flyfisher70

Sunscreen

The sunscreen I like using is Copertone Sport spf 50, it works great.
Flyfisher70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Mtobolsky
Loves his member

nothing beats johnson and johnson baby oil for getting a deep rich tan.....keeps your skin smoth and soft also........i love it for when i head out to blacks beach for a tan line free golden bod.....

now for keeping the burn away, i just bought some spray from big lots for $4 usually $10 banana boat sport..spf 85. you obviously dont get as much as if you get the bottle of goo but it is not greassy and the application is very easy which i like out on the water. no matter what spf you get you still need to reapply every few hours.
Mtobolsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

netrogena from costco spf 70
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
YakMedic

+1 for headhunter, or sunblock designed for women is usually less oily (Prevents acne)
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

I personally like the Blue Lizard stuff that you see on the Bill Dance show. It works. If you cannot find that Aloe Gator has been one that I use and have used through my surfing days and into now(25 years). It stays on for up to 8 hours. I did not use it this weekend and used some spray on Banana boat SPF 50 baby sunscreen. I got fried. Brand new bottle, and still I get fried. Make sure you are using stuff that is good. I use to like Bullfrog until they went big and started skimping on the quality of the product.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
Caballito

Having had the distinct pleasure of undergoing skin cancer surgery on my nose, best stuff to block contains a "mechanical block" in it. Thare are two which I know of...Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Hunters Pa

Banana boat, kid's formula

A big hat

long sleeve shirt & paddle pants

I don't tan. I go

Pale

Pink

Peel
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
sasha

Thanks guys im going to start checking them out before my next time on the water.. SPF 85 sound good. Is there anything else i should be looking for in the sun tan lotion besides Zinc oxide and Titanium dioxide... Mind you im one of those guys that rarely burn. Beeing on the water with the added refliction i got hit dame good.. part of it was my fault. I took a bandana to use under my hat to cover my neck and ears but forgot to put it on... live and learn i say..
Old 05-31-2011, 01:52 PM   #11
flydigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
I personally like the Blue Lizard stuff that you see on the Bill Dance show. It works. If you cannot find that Aloe Gator has been one that I use and have used through my surfing days and into now(25 years). It stays on for up to 8 hours. I did not use it this weekend and used some spray on Banana boat SPF 50 baby sunscreen. I got fried. Brand new bottle, and still I get fried. Make sure you are using stuff that is good. I use to like Bullfrog until they went big and started skimping on the quality of the product.
I still use the bullfrog or aloe gator, whatever I can find... they both work great for me, I only apply once (liberally) around 8am and it lasts me all day. I tried blue lizard I think that is the white elmer's glue looking stuff, it works good but I prefer the clear aloe-based.

I always dress for sun protection too.. my face/ears/neck are all that gets the sunscreen. Waders FTW.
flydigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
dorado50

As with any "medicine" it is best to check with your doctor before using any such products. You may have an interaction with any of the above stated products.Like it says on tv, always check with a doctor before use. Good luck with your choice I know its a hard decision sometimes.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
wade

http://www.planetbuff.com/2011-Angler-Collection

less expensive overall & no gooping up with sunblock all the time......

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #14
RK

Wade--
I didnt see one in a bloods or crips in the catalog.... Im off it.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
http://www.planetbuff.com/2011-Angler-Collection

less expensive overall & no gooping up with sunblock all the time......

are these the face mask that you wear?
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
sasha

Well im on a mission to learn more about sun block lotion.. Here is an intresting artical that explains about some lotions...
http://www.consumersearch.com/sunscreen/best-sunscreen

Its not the best and its more broad about what it goes into.. but it got lots of the basics on what makes a sun block good. I found a few more but they are boring read.. With lots of info. I want to learn as much as i can about what to look for and then hope to make the best choice for me atlist. Some of the lotions you guys mentioned did get good marks on this site..
I would let let you guys know what i find... After i get as much info as i can about it i would go to the stores and start reading the ingredients and % of each in the lotion..
Wade I actual did think of that as well. Found a pic of a guy that works in the desert and he swears by the scarf... Its part of his every day gear..
Sasha
Old 05-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
netrogena from costco spf 70
Agree with this. The full name we use is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 70 with Helioplex(Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB). Julie uses it everywhere she needs it, I only use it on my face, as I go for the cheaper Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50 everywhere else. No oiliness about the Neutrogena with a slight pleasant smell about it.
The Coppertone brand version isn't that bad when it comes smell/oiliness, but I'd much rather have the Neutrogena for the face.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
JPSURF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballito View Post
Having had the distinct pleasure of undergoing skin cancer surgery on my nose, best stuff to block contains a "mechanical block" in it. Thare are two which I know of...Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide...
Second this after visiting the Dr. for pre skin cancer.

I use Solbar Zinc SPF38.

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #19
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher70 View Post
The sunscreen I like using is Copertone Sport spf 50, it works great.

X2. I know cause I paddle naked.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #20
taggermike

I have red headed daughters so sun screen is big deal in our family. I use their sun screen cause it's in my car but I have had good success with their No Add kids 50spf. I like the kids stuff becasue it's generally kind on the skin and eyes. I also wear long sleaves and pants, hat, sun glasses, and often in the summer a ninja type face and neck cover. Clothes can be hotter but they work and you don't have to remember to reaply. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote