Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Limits
Kayak Fanatic

How often do you have a 'yard sale'?

Just curious...for you frequent LJ yakkers, how frequently do you have 'yard sales (i.e. flip the yak on reentry)?

Is this a rare occurence or really dependent on season, Winter vs Summer?
Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
Just curious...for you frequent LJ yakkers, how frequently do you have 'yard sales (i.e. flip the yak on reentry)?

I don't think anyone plans them it all depends on your experience level and how you negotiate the waves as you are coming in. Knock on wood I have not flipped launching or landing yet.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
ODOGFISH

are ya planing one

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it

Oscar
ODOGFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I just Flipped my yak yesturday!!

Here is my story, went out to Topanga Beach in Malibu.

So i started my day by myself at around 1pm there some wind and the launch was a breeze, i go all around left, right, south. Well i went out got plenty of bait, small calico no keepers. AND NO haliBUTTS!!!

Time 6pm
On the way back to land my radio says there having 3-5 ft surf and i said to myself ok i hope i make. I go back to see how the area i launch from is doing. AND there i saw some huge surf. So i strap and tie everything that loose. and i wait for the shore pounds to calm down. FINally a break int the surf. I start paddling really hard and fast. I am going to make it i think to myself 30 ft to go 25 ft to go 24,23,22, 18 ft to go. When i turn behind and look behind my shoulder and I see the biggest the meanest 7 FT wave that i have ever seen so close (maybe like 5-6ftwave) AND I SAid to myself O CRAP its going to break on me!!!! I grab my paddle hard and start paddling to one side to keep the yak from turning in the water. I gather my samsonite strength and start paddling even faster. My MALIBU X-FACTOR kayak raises from the stern and the bow faces to a 45 degree angle into the water that the last thing i remember before i ended upside down and tosses me over board with my dignity. NEXT thing i know my kayak is upside down in about 4 ft of water. My rods are all over hanging by there leashes as well as my crate. I flip it back over. I toss my rods back on and pull it to shore. I only lost my hat and a gameclip. Forgot to tie the gameclip down. I am pretty good about leashing everything down. Man that was my first wipe out since i started fishing.

If anyone sees my Brown Cowboy hat and a game clip, let me know and for some reason i have alot of tar on my yak.

Man that surf was brutal!!! i am exhausted.

O SNAPs I just remembered i had my Fish ID cards that i made at kinkos in the CRate!!! Damn it...

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

If you are prepared to flip than you probably won't lose anything. Most peoples yard sale is because they were not prepared for what happened. If you have every thing secure and you flip the worst thing that happens is you get wet and people on the beach got to witness it. Hopefully without a camera on you.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
old_rookie

I think I have flipped of rolled more than half the times of landing back at the beach. That is why I got the OK Trident - I can store my rods, and gaff, in the rod pod and not worry about them.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
StinkyMatt

Frank, that silly hat needed to go!
Paddle faster you slow poke!
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
BrokeLoser

Dallas Cowboys hat?
You didn't really want that anyway did you?

Haha....sorry for your wipeout
BrokeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #9
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Quote:
I just Flipped my yak yesturday!!
Glad you made it out alive...
roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
jorluivil

I think I just discovered an unorthodox style of surf landing on a yak. For several months I've been thinking about how to prevent getting that yard sale (getting tossed) and today when I was about to land at LJ I decided to finally give my idea a try. As soon as I got close to the area where the waves were cresting I flip the yak around and paddled backwards, this allowed me to see all the waves as they were building, cresting and breaking. I had two waves come in that I know would make me surf, and probably get tossed. When these two waves hit I was able to slightly paddle forward and once the wave passed me I started to paddle backwards again.......worked better than expected.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
wiredantz

Let me tell you guys, it only takes one bad surf landing to tell you that you better put everything inside the kayak before you make a yard sale. I had a few things float in the water, put some where a pain to get to because the huge waves. Next time ill store everything i have inside the yak and tie the rods parallel to the side of the yak. I am surprised none of my rods broke on that rough landing. I have not once flipped going out into the surf, but i am terrible at surf landings.

Last edited by wiredantz; 04-04-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Let me tell you guys, it only takes one bad surf landing to tell you that you better put everything inside the kayak before you make a yard sale. I had a few things float in the water, put some where a pain to get to because the huge waves. Next time ill store everything i have inside the yak and tie the rods parallel to the side of the yak. I am surprised none of my rods broke on that rough landing. I have no once flipped going out into the surf, but i am terrible at surf landings.

I WILL NOT UNDERESTIMATE A SURF LANDING AGAIN.

Next time everything i can fit will go inside my yak no matter what!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I think I just discovered an unorthodox style of surf landing on a yak. For several months I've been thinking about how to prevent getting that yard sale (getting tossed) and today when I was about to land at LJ I decided to finally give my idea a try. As soon as I got close to the area where the waves were cresting I flip the yak around and paddled backwards, this allowed me to see all the waves as they were building, cresting and breaking. I had two waves come in that I know would make me surf, and probably get tossed. When these two waves hit I was able to slightly paddle forward and once the wave passed me I started to paddle backwards again.......worked better than expected.
That's an interesting idea.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
taggermike

I got cavalier in small surf in LJ last year, got spun, then flipped, and lost a rod. I didn't stow or leash any thing and I paid for it. I have wiped out before but I had things secured and didn't lose anything. I've surfed launched at places that aren't popular with yakkers, like south Imperial Beach, Salt Creek, Baja beach breaks, South Oceanside and in wierd 2 way shore pound along the Outer Banks of NC. I'm not saying this to brag, only to say that I have tried about every way there is to land a kayak in a wide variety of conditions. Surfing in, riding the back of a wave in, sprint paddling to the sand, and getting out and wading in. Like jorliuvil sayed, backing the kayak in can work pretty well. Once in Oside the conditions changed so radically that I thought about paddling all the way to the harbor. Instead I stowed every thing as best I could and just let the kayak wash in to the beach and swam in after it. Desperate messures. The point of this post is to say that if you admit to being "bad at surf landings" the way to get better is to practice. Leave all your gear on the beach and just get out there. Crashing isn't too intimadating when your kayak is empty. That way you'll know what your kayak will do in situations where you'd never want to be while fishing. OK, I rambled. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #15
YakMedic

After losing a rod last year everything is stowed in the hull on launch and landing. I can't afford to lose equipment.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #16
JoeBeck

Go out and surf your kayak, no gear for an hour or so. I actually enjoy doing this yearly. No more yard sales.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limits View Post
I've rolled once at La Jolla: all I lost was my sunscreen a few Irons I had thrown in the baittank. At Esco I have had a couple of incidents where I had just hit the sand, jumped out and then had the yak tossed around by a second beach break wave that came out of nowhere. I haven't lost much but I stow my gear every time. You never know when your going to get dumped.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 04-04-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #18
rogersmith

I rolled a week ago, idiotically because I was already off the kayak, but I let the boat turn sideways, pulled from my tired grasp. Very lucky not to have broken rods, will ALWAYS use the rod pod from now on. Had to do some repairs on flush mounted rod holder, popped the welnuts out but rod didn't break! Kudos to graftech
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #19
JPSURF

Tommy as long as you have been on the Yak i doubt you dump much!

JP
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #20
Riskey Water

I've never been DOUSHED paddling in, but had one day in Mex that went Gilligans Island on me .The ocean was like a pond going out but 10 hours later coming back in it was close-out sets with 15 ft faces and the only safe landing was 7 miles away at La Salina .So I made sure EVERYTHING was stowed and the paddle leash secured .I paddled into the surf break waves ,caught a wave and half way down the face I bailed out and let my kayak get washed on shore and I swam in .No gear lost or broken ,but my ego was taken down a notch .
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote