Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
kurt

LJ 7-23

Small waves, short interval. Picked up a few spanish just past the reserve. Didn't think this would be enough but headed out hoping to find more here and there. Off the face of the hotel, huge amount of bait being driven on the service. Reeling in my sabiki when it gets hit by a 'cuda. Fish goes clear out of the water with one of my greenies in it's mouth and two others whipping around behind it. Amazing that the bait will eat with so many predators around. Picked up a few 'cuda (good size) on the iron and head out. I think one or two YT were picked up in that area, but I didn't like my odds of getting one before all my baits were slashed. Picked up a few ~ 4lb. bonita on the macks. Get to about a mile straight west of the hotel when I get picked up again. Thought it might be another larger bonita until it's 2nd run when it went deep. Right kind! About 10 minutes later and 50 gaff attempts (smaller ones are quick) I get a nice firecracker on the deck. 8.6lbs.

YT burritos are good. Last bait got stolen and headed in early before the fish got cooked on the deck of the kayak. Watched people scream and flip each other off at the ramp. What fun!
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Thanks for the call in on that fish kurt. That is an area where I have picked up a few smaller yt. I had 4 for sure yt hookups today. Pulled a hook at color while getting the gaff out, one on the iron came unbuttoned at color, had one come unbuttoned before I saw it, but it felt right, and the one I landed. I got this guy on my low rig at about 1 pm.

17# model, fought really tough, got me into the submerged kelp. Really fat for his size. Also landed about half a dozen bones, half a dozen calis and a few cudas, all on bait. The yt bite seemed to be a slow pick all day. I also heard some rumors of 30+# yt being landed. Once again it took lots of bait to get through the day. Every bait that got soaked got hit by something. I also had a cuda hit a mac on a sabiki. Hopefully I can get some action shots of this one soon.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
katchfish
Paddle for Mahi

Nice work boys!

Ken
katchfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Dan

nice little fella kurt.

tyler, way to stick it out and get one in the boat.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Dennis

Nice fish, guys. Sure makes me hungry...
-D
Old 07-23-2006, 07:08 PM   #6
lamb

Good seeing ya’ Kurt.

Too worn out to get up with 3:45 AM alarm. The long hours are either getting to me, or I’m turning into fat old ass. Launched from the Shores more like around 6:30AM.

Bait super easy. Just S from the can in about 40ft, big schools of chovies were cooking on the surface. Calicos, cudas, hordes of spanish, some greenies (from what I confirmed) , and a few lil’ yellers (from what I heard on the air) were working ’em hard.

Loaded up on bait and worked the kelp edge… I should say which would have been kelp edge last year. :cry: Lotsa yaks, sporties and PBers spending their Sunday at LJ. Can’t blame ‘em - it was sunny for the most part, beautiful day at LJ.

Water pretty clear, rather warm. Was going to fish for halibut, but the surface situation was way too appealing. I did drag bait on the bottom while fly-lining. It was hard to keep the surface bait away from calicos and barracuda. Lot of short hits… Missed all except a few, let to live. Hooked into a few short lings on the bottom. That seemed to be all there is down below.

Made it just below of NW corner by 8:30ish. At around 9:00AM as the things slowed down, the area cleared up nicely. Did a few drifts chilling in the sun eating my breakfast. Decided that was it - dropped floro leader down to 20# and started working my way back. Soon after passing a nice mark I finally connected with generation 05 ding and quickly brought him on the deck. Considered releasing, but decided to make a kill as all of it 4# of meat seemed like what I’ll be serving for dinner tonight.

Continued dragging bigger model Spanish in 80’-ish. Soon enough, I found something with a bit more muscle. It immediately put my Big 5 special $40 Sabre rod in “bendolino” mode.

Fought it nice and easy for good 15 mins. Baaaaa…. 17#

Ran into nice group of yakbrothers who helped me out with OTW shot – thank you very much.

Male for sure, look at that yoghurt dripping…

As I moved maybe 100 yards north, my last spanish mysteriously transformed into 10# yeller. :P Not sure what happened there…

All my fish were between 9:30AM and 10:30AM. Wind kicked up at around 11:00ish, got pretty sloppy…

Fist tail off the yak for me this year… Make it 3… Let there be Baaaaa… :lol:
Old 07-23-2006, 07:19 PM   #7
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations everyone on scoring on yer yellas. You all deserve it for fighting the weekend crowd.
Adi, that's not yogurt, he's just happy to see you :lol: .
Old 07-23-2006, 07:26 PM   #8
rastrev

Nice Lamb tails Adi! Nothing but cudas and calicos for me today
rastrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Dan

Hey Lefty! Nice tails!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:56 PM   #10
dmr

Gentlemen, nice job picking those out of the crowd.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #11
Afran
fishy

Nice job guys. I wish I could have hooked into the the right kind this evening.

LJ PM Shift
Launched 5:00pm.
Cudas were thick.

Hooked:
+12 Cudas on the Yozuri / Biggest going 33"
3 Calico on the 6xJR
1 Boner

Didn't feel like taking too many pix. CUDAS are nasty animals.

Had to keep the big Cuda & the boney, they were badly hooked. Looking forward to trying the cuda, Dad says he really likes it. The cats are currently eating the boney.

peace out
Old 07-24-2006, 05:15 AM   #12
kareem korn

Shweeeeet

Dang, beats my day in 114deg Hemet heat ops: . Good job.
Don't throw the bonito away or feed your dog. I smoked one for the first time this last weekend, and it was great. The cuda are great smoked too.

-Tim-
kareem korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #13
fishnut

Nice job there gents!

I'll be sure to load the tank with macks to withstand the Cuda onslaught. Will probably paddle Wednesday or Thursday.

See you out there.

-Todd
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:44 AM   #14
Grego

Good catch Kurt/Adi and everyone...too bad you didn't run into any of the rare Albino kine models, next time maybe.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:12 AM   #15
kurt

Good job, Adi. Must have sounded like a meadow out there. BAAAAAAA.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote