Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
bellcon

could this have been you?

hi guys, this is a post i made at Baytubers.com
just wanted as many kayakers to hear the story as possible, so i am sharing it with the bwe crew
Thanks, Don

Hey guys,
At the tournament on sunday many of you know about the guy who's kayak was sinking. (he wasnt in the tournament)
I was coming in from the Topaz jeddy cruising over the canyon and off in the distance I see a brizzare site...
as i get closer i realize a guy has fallen off his yak and is struggling to get back on, i reel my lines in and paddle as fast as i can to assist.
when i reach him he is getting exhausted and has that shocked look on his face...he is scared shitless and first thing to do is try to calm him down.
he was stammering about the yak being his friends and how the thing started taking on water... by this time 2/3 of the yak is under water with just the bow pointing straight up in the air.
his equipment is floating all over the place.
he has no PFD on and i again tell him "calm down big guy everything is alright now"
at this time a paddle boarder shows up and starts collecting his stuff, i get ready to call bay watch and realize they are coming full speed out of the harbor towards us.
i get the guys pfd (witch is attached to a bucket about 20 yards from him)
he struggles to put it on then finally starts to chill out
the life guards get to us and after a bit of struggle get the guy up the swim step, getting his yak on the boat was almost impossible because it had so much water in it.
turns out he had also sliced his hand somehow and was bleeding.
i got most his stuff (everything that floated) got it to the boat and waved good bye to my lucky new friend.

To be honest i was looking forward to posting a report about catching a 250 WDB (White DumBass) and posting a couple of pics i took once he was on the boat. you know catch photo release (cpr)
i even joked about it at the tournament a little with the guys.

obviously i changed my mind...
this guy for as "dumb" as some of his actions were was seriuosly up stuff creek... literally with out a paddle

1. we were in 140-150 feet of water
2. he had no pfd on (ever try to put one on in water?)
3. he had no pump
4. his cell phone was floating away in a zip lock baggy
5. he had no vhf radio (if he did it sunk)
6. he was alone (there was no one around for i dont know how long before i noticed him)
7. he had NOTHING strapped down and nothing leashed
8. he lost at least 3 poles and and who knows what else
9. he was a big guy 250 lbs at least and another ?lbs of stuff (looked like way to much for the yak he was in)
10. he was in borrowed yak he had never used before.

the list could go on.... so i decided instead of making a big joke about it, i would learn from this guys story

i bought my first yak about 6-7 years ago and...i do not own a pump...i am picking one up tomorrow, i do wear my pfd always but have been tempted to just throw it in the back (i hate it on warm days) i will continue to wear it.
i carry my cell and vhf always but from now i will have them strapped to me not just the yak.
i am sure there is more to say i will stop here
i will also cut the guy some slack and not post pics of his rescue (or release ).

Stay safe guys i would much rather learn from this guys mistakes than repeat them someday
Don
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

PS - I call BS with no pics......just kidding of course.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Don, good looking out for the guy. It can turn ugly fast for someone unprepared out on the water.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
sdcityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
To be honest i was looking forward to posting a report about catching a 250 WDB (White DumBass) and posting a couple of pics i took once he was on the boat. you know catch photo release (cpr)
i even joked about it at the tournament a little with the guys.
Don

I allways overestimate the size of my WDB's
sdcityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
lamb

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear it all ended up well for the guy.

There can never be enough safety reminders. Your top 10 list just about identifies all the "don't dos" of kayak fishing.

Great article Chris wrote on Sea Kayaking Safety:

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...fishing-safety
Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
aguachico

Thanks for sharing. Trying to achieve the lightest yak possible has made me take safety shortcuts. Time to evaluate my safety stuff. I need to try some self rescues as my boat has changed and my strength has weakened.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 AM   #7
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Great advice.

I keep my VHF in my PDF front pocket. And yes it floats.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #8
dorf

Thanks for the reality check Don. And good looking out for the other guy. Good Karma will come to you 10 fold.

I believe the industry renamed them Personal Flotation Device to make them sound more cool but they are what they are and that is LIFE VEST. They were created for your safety.

I have two samll boys and they always wear their Life Vests when on the yak. What kind of an example would I be if I just left mine sitting in the hold? To make it more practicle I have one with pockets that I use to hold my cell phone and other fishing gear.

It's the same when we ride our bikes. I alway wear a helmet as I expect them to always wear one.
I do not have a marine radio (yet) but never go farther than I am willing to swim back. If I go outside of the harbour I always go with someone and stay close to them. No matter where or who I go with I let someone (my wife) know where I will launch from and when I will be out of the water. I call her as soon as I am out of the water to let her know all is well.
To some it may sound like I am whipped but I am being safe and courtious to my wife as she is very concerned about my safety, especially after what happen at Solan Beach this week.

These are a few of the things I do. I like to hear other ways to improve.

Be safe out there.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Weightman

Send a message via AIM to Weightman Send a message via Yahoo to Weightman
yeah I took a dump twice on a scrambler (no not scrambler XL) a lil ways back, no pdf, no nada.... I got back on but crap that takes a lot out of you.... lucky for me I had some buddies near to take pics and laugh
Weightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Billy V

I pulled a guy out of the water in La Jolla 2 weeks ago.

Caught myself a fishin' buddy.

http://www.kayakfishnation.com/forum...pic.php?t=3725
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
Bigfoot Suit Guy
Junior

Thanks for the reminder.
Bigfoot Suit Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Joe11

Dorf - I call my wife too. That is just being courteous. Like most of the people I know, she thinks I am nuts going out there on a yak. I call her when I am about to hit the water and call her when I am back at the beach. I always wear a PFD regardless. Carry a phone in a dry bag in my left front PFD pocket, a VHF radio on my PFD, and a whistle in my front right PFD pocket. Also keep a dive knife on me, handheld GPS, tow line, and have two glow sticks onboard.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 04:24 AM   #13
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
-snip-Carry a phone in a dry bag in my left front PFD pocket, a VHF radio on my PFD, and a whistle in my front right PFD pocket. Also keep a dive knife on me, handheld GPS, tow line, and have two glow sticks onboard.
Thanks for my to do check list...I thought I was squared away.