Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
newguy01

anchor

here what i do on mine i have a umbrella anchor that have a tie points on both end. i tie my line on the the bottom and leave some slack and zipped tied on other end. just in case u get stuck the zipped tie would break off and you can full from the bottom of the anchor. the green circle you tie your line here and the light blue one you use zipped tie. the size of zipped tee defend on what you can break hope this help
Attached Images
File Type: png anchor.png (6.3 KB, 298 views)
newguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Jimmyz123

That is a great idea. I have someone who offered me an anchor, I'm not one to usually turn down a gift so, I may have to try this trick.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
steveooo

FWIW, I bought an anchor when I first got in to this. I quickly realized that there is virtually no situation in which I wish I had an anchor out on the water. There are not too many times that I would like to sit in the same place and fish, or drag an extra 5 lbs around with me, that includes the bays, big water, and fresh.

I do know that anchors are pretty popular on the east coast though, maybe its just a different style of fishing?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
FWIW, I bought an anchor when I first got in to this. I quickly realized that there is virtually no situation in which I wish I had an anchor out on the water. There are not too many times that I would like to sit in the same place and fish, or drag an extra 5 lbs around with me, that includes the bays, big water, and fresh.
X2.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

I use an anchor in rivers when I'm fishing for salmon or steelhead, but I wouldn't use one in the ocean under any circumstances.
I use a cheapo "round" anchor, if there's too much current, it just slowly bounces or drags across the bottom. I wouldn't use any kind of "claw" type anchors. If they get stuck on a submerged tree or log, you lose the anchor or go in after it.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:25 AM   #6
Jimmyz123

I have a drift sock, which after last weeks captains meeting, I might pick up a second one if I'm really wanting to stay put where I am. There I do like drifting along because that's like having a trolling motor on the yak. However there are times when the drift is way too fast. Like someone posted they use a round anchor that just bounces on the bottom, I like those as well. I like keeping things simple.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy01 View Post
here what i do on mine i have a umbrella anchor that have a tie points on both end. i tie my line on the the bottom and leave some slack and zipped tied on other end. just in case u get stuck the zipped tie would break off and you can full from the bottom of the anchor.
That is a standard setup this for larger boats, with Bruce and Claw anchors, but instead of zip ties they use stainless wire.

Many an anchor has been saved by the above method, especially in rocky areas like the islands.

If your going to use a standard anchor with rope that is definitely the way to do it.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote