Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Buy, Sell, or Trade Kayak Fishing Gear
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2021, 09:42 AM   #1
socal.beach.bum

WTB Stealth Fusion 480

Looking at picking one of these up to fish more remote locations I can’t take my PA to, but not sure how it will handle my robust frame. Was hoping someone here has one I might possibly be able to take out for a spin before buying or at least is also a bigger guy (200+lbs) and can share their experiences with the kayak.

Thanks
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
SoCalEDC

PM sent
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:10 PM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Stealth Fusion 480 on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZqmypEtYMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCphZoPyo-o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-fM47TLao
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:43 AM   #4
tcshouston
Junior

I think the Yt vids is in error
tcshouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:35 PM   #5
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal.beach.bum View Post
Looking at picking one of these up to fish more remote locations I can’t take my PA to, but not sure how it will handle my robust frame. Was hoping someone here has one I might possibly be able to take out for a spin before buying or at least is also a bigger guy (200+lbs) and can share their experiences with the kayak.

Thanks
I love my 480. Its the most stable of the stealth line. You sit so low to the water you don't have to worry about stability. I weigh 210 and am a tiny bit under 6' and it's perfect for someone my size or slightly larger. If you live in OC or want to fish Newport hit me up and we can go out a few miles and fish rockfish/bass so you can get a feel for it. Prepared to go faster than you've ever been on a kayak...
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikerMC View Post
I love my 480. Its the most stable of the stealth line. You sit so low to the water you don't have to worry about stability. I weigh 210 and am a tiny bit under 6' and it's perfect for someone my size or slightly larger. If you live in OC or want to fish Newport hit me up and we can go out a few miles and fish rockfish/bass so you can get a feel for it. Prepared to go faster than you've ever been on a kayak...
Sweet I might take you up on that offer, Thanks. 👍
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Comparison of a Stealth verses a Hobie kayak

Lost Horizon's Fishing

Comparing my Stealth Fisha 555 to my Hobie Revolution 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJGyvVzp_1k
Old 05-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

How You Can Demo a Stealth Fusion 480

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kA2Yy3GnrU
Old 05-17-2021, 06:24 AM   #9
AlphaYankee
Junior

For someone new to this sport, would it be wiser to purchase a plastic (&cheaper)kayak in the fisha 480 over the fiberglass Profisha 525?
AlphaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaYankee View Post
For someone new to this sport, would it be wiser to purchase a plastic (&cheaper)kayak in the fisha 480 over the fiberglass Profisha 525?
For someone NEW TO THE SPORT I think the plastic option is the better move. Not even necessarily the Fusion, but an inexpensive plastic kayak that can easily be resold if the user decides they do not enjoy or have the time to part take in the sport.

My reasoning for the above: There is not much of a market for used paddle kayaks in so cal, you can have a pretty low upfront investment on the used market and quickly resell for similar to what you paid. If one were to buy the fusion for about 1900 bucks new, and then decide he/she didn't like it, the resale would likely take a 50-60% hit "right off the lot" for lack of a better expression.

The PF525 (or any of the glass boats) leaves you in the same predicament, although its a much more expensive option and the resale rate is worse because they are such a specialized kayak. I don't think you will find many who are willing to pay even half of what you paid new for the pf525. Its a pedal dominated market.

The reason I mention resale is only because you mentioned that this is in regard to a new kayaker. If this person were into kayaking, and knew her or she were going to be spending alot of time on the water and had a better idea of what they wanted in a kayak from experience, then the resale value would be less weighty in the decision making process.

For my money, as a new kayaker I would look around for a used ocean kayak (Trident), Jackson Kraken, thresher 140, or similar (these are about as close to the stealth as you can get as far as width, length, functionality). I think you will be able to find something for a much more reasonable price, that wont cost as much to get out of should you not enjoy kayaking as much as you anticipate. You will be able to try the sport on a kayak that is kind of similar to those in question and then if you decide you want to make a larger investment revisit the comparisons between the fusion and the glass kayaks.

If you are absolutely dead set on buying new, Tray is offering demos of his Fusion 480 in long beach on the weekends. I think I shared his info with you a week or two ago. I don't know anyone in so cal with a pf525 to demo unfortunately.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 05-17-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
AlphaYankee
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
For someone NEW TO THE SPORT I think the plastic option is the better move. Not even necessarily the Fusion, but an inexpensive plastic kayak that can easily be resold if the user decides they do not enjoy or have the time to part take in the sport.

My reasoning for the above: There is not much of a market for used paddle kayaks in so cal, you can have a pretty low upfront investment on the used market and quickly resell for similar to what you paid. If one were to buy the fusion for about 1900 bucks new, and then decide he/she didn't like it, the resale would likely take a 50-60% hit "right off the lot" for lack of a better expression.

The PF525 (or any of the glass boats) leaves you in the same predicament, although its a much more expensive option and the resale rate is worse because they are such a specialized kayak. I don't think you will find many who are willing to pay even half of what you paid new for the pf525. Its a pedal dominated market.

The reason I mention resale is only because you mentioned that this is in regard to a new kayaker. If this person were into kayaking, and knew her or she were going to be spending alot of time on the water and had a better idea of what they wanted in a kayak from experience, then the resale value would be less weighty in the decision making process.

For my money, as a new kayaker I would look around for a used ocean kayak (Trident), Jackson Kraken, thresher 140, or similar (these are about as close to the stealth as you can get as far as width, length, functionality). I think you will be able to find something for a much more reasonable price, that wont cost as much to get out of should you not enjoy kayaking as much as you anticipate. You will be able to try the sport on a kayak that is kind of similar to those in question and then if you decide you want to make a larger investment revisit the comparisons between the fusion and the glass kayaks.

If you are absolutely dead set on buying new, Tray is offering demos of his Fusion 480 in long beach on the weekends. I think I shared his info with you a week or two ago. I don't know anyone in so cal with a pf525 to demo unfortunately.
I reached out to Tray but missed the incoming shipment by a few days. He's going to see what he can do as far as getting a 525 out, but he may have more availability options with the fusion 480. We'll see! I name dropped ya, when I reached out

I'm mostly worried about damage potential of fiberglass.. but I'm 100% getting the 480 or PF525 at this point. I'm locked in
AlphaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
SoCalEDC

Quote:
I reached out to Tray but missed the incoming shipment by a few days. He's going to see what he can do as far as getting a 525 out, but he may have more availability options with the fusion 480. We'll see! I name dropped ya, when I reached out

I'm mostly worried about damage potential of fiberglass.. but I'm 100% getting the 480 or PF525 at this point. I'm locked in
Oh hell yea dude.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
Old 05-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #13
StrikerMC
Instagram:@nomad.waterman

Quote:

Yeah that's definitely a consideration! You will not go wrong either way.
StrikerMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #14
JohnMckroidJr

Seeing how sea-worthy these kayaks are, It would probably double the amount of kayak fishable days in my area. Very tempted to get one as a backup for that feature alone.