Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Geoffkoop

Surface iron

Hey gang,
I got a sealine 40 reel for tossing irons...What line do you reccomend for throwing surface irons with a jig stick in LJ?
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Siebler

40lb izorline first string

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Geoffkoop

Good, that's what's on there now.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
Matt
Support your local pangas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
40lb izorline first string

ABSOFREEKINLUTELY!!!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
JrBasser

I third that :-) Even with all the newell hype i traded mine for the sealine 40 and absolutely love it. Hope you enjoy the silent amazing freespool with NO maintnaince for as long as I have!
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #6
dorado50

25# or 30# P-line should add a few more yards to your cast and very adequate strength for any LJ fish....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:43 AM   #7
Shortbite
Junior

Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbite
I'd like to say that if you're learning to cast, stick to 40pds line since birdnest is inevitable and weakens the line. I've been fishing cattleboats and i've met some salty Captains that only spools 40# and keep their drags very tight too maximize hookups!
Shortbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortbite View Post
I've been fishing cattleboats and i've met some salty Captains that only spools 40# and keep their drags very tight too maximize hookups!

Hes right, I always have my drag hammered. As did everybody else I worked with. At least on my newell 338 the drags are going to allow a fish to run long before the line breaks. Plus you can always back it off if you really need to. In a kayak your boat is eliminating much of the need for drags when fishing heavier line.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
THE DARKHORSE

Too much drag...nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siebler View Post
Hes right, I always have my drag hammered. As did everybody else I worked with. At least on my newell 338 the drags are going to allow a fish to run long before the line breaks. Plus you can always back it off if you really need to. In a kayak your boat is eliminating much of the need for drags when fishing heavier line.

I couldn't of said it better myself.
Reason #1 : For the guys that haven't spent much time offshore, or refuse to fish sportboats (priceless fishing knowledge of guys who have fished their whole lives, "old salts"), I can see the feeling to hesitate on using heavier drag. For someone who is coming straight from fishing lakes and streams fishing 14 lbs of drag feels ridiculous, and it would be on 25 lb flouro. But with quality 40 lb mono (Izorline is my favorite), the only thing I think about when pulling on fish is : "how hard can I pull without straightening out this hook". Like C.J. pointed out, on a kayak your not even using that max drag you set, since the kayak moves towards the fish as soon as you hook up, a.k.a. "sleigh ride". Even if you can't stand the idea of fishing off a cattle boat, next time the bite is going off at the local islands or La Jolla watch the guys in the bow fishing the iron, pay attention....it might change how you fish.

Reason #2 : People hesitate to fish heavier drag because of the time between solid fish (one month-three months-a year), I completely understand this one. This is a cancerous situation though, because you will end up being more and more nervous fighting your fish, fishing baby drag, and "you will lose more fish". For fear of pulling too hard you play the fish out (good idea...sometimes), but if you have a solid hook placement on a Yellowtail (in the mouth), you can pretty much "pull as hard as you want".
Old 01-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
dorado50

You can make a 30# fish feel like a 10# fish and you can make a 200# fish feel like a 60# fish, it all depends on ones stlye and ones applications. Fishing from a kayak and fishing from a boat are two different ball games. Similarities,yes, differences,many. If I'm fishing a kayak catch and release tournament I'm fishing 40# line with near full drag and I'll have that fish boatside in minutes; if I'm fishing catch and release from boat I've got 100# line(ex.) near full drag , and a good boat captain and I've got that fish boatside in no time. Otherwise I'm using a 25 to 30# line with a nice 80% drag at hookset and finesse that fish to the kayak...

Have some fun in LJ, take it easy and enjoy every moment of that fish ,from hookset to gaff.

Last edited by dorado50; 01-05-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add info
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #11
THE DARKHORSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
You can make a 30# fish feel like a 10# fish and you can make a 200# fish feel like a 60# fish, it all depends on ones stlye and ones applications. Fishing from a kayak and fishing from a boat are two different ball games. Similarities,yes, differences,many. If I'm fishing a kayak catch and release tournament I'm fishing 40# line with near full drag and I'll have that fish boatside in minutes; if I'm fishing catch and release from boat I've got 100# line(ex.) near full drag , and a good boat captain and I've got that fish boatside in no time. Otherwise I'm using a 25 to 30# line with a nice 80% drag at hookset and finesse that fish to the kayak...
This is the beauty of a public forumn...Dave is an amazing fisherman himself that I have a great deal of respect for, he knows what he's talking about. There is no one way to fish, how boring would that be?

On a side note, Dave brought up a great point that I didn't touch on. The aspect of making a huge fish feel smaller or vice versa in most people's case, who choose to use light drag. With light drag you can't get an accurate reed on the size of the fish like you can with heavy drag. Any Yellowtail 10 lb's+ will rip drag off the reel, with heavier drag you can get a much better read on the weight of the fish during the initial run, and after that turn on the wench.

Another great point would be to "choose your battles". When I'm near kelp or structure below, lobster floats, Sealions etc., I fish very heavy drag. When I'm in 300' of water without a dog in sight fighting schooling 15 lb Yellowtail, I back down a little and enjoy the fight.

My last reason to fish the heavy drag "in schooling situations" is you will catch more fish, less time to the boat will result in more shots at the school, and more shots at getting a trophy...choose your battles.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #12
Geoffkoop

I will be happy to have any kind of yellow battle. Thanks for the input gents!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #13
dorado50

Josh

Its amazing sometimes how one could have a difference or variance of opinion and still be friends, right on Bro..... Your points are well taken and very,very valid. ps. I'll be trying the 40# on theoff the kayak soon....ahhh..... well someday...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #14
THE DARKHORSE

I love you too Dave.

I hope to see you in the morning, maybe I'll ring your door-bell when I park my car .

I think that's the difference between an aquaintence and friends, who needs to get upset deciding blonde or brunette, not me .
I only kinda rock, but bro like I hope to some day.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
esdees
The Good Clone

You both rock.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #16
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Patrick, or is it Tyler? Your Avatar rocks!

To answer the question, #40 for surface Irons, I use Big Game, but might try me some Izorline.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
jscott

Please don't post up the pics of the two of you kissing!

Only monster fish pics allowed from you guys!

jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
forefrazier

Get a tandem already.....

Ha....Ha....Just kidding with you D & J...
forefrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #19
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefrazier View Post
Get a tandem already.....

Hey, leave my gayak out of this
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote