Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 11:29 PM   #1
frugalfisher

Kick Ass!! First Thresher, Solo on 5/28

I was thinking about just going home and taking a nap because I fell asleep on the trolley ride home from SDSU and because I didn't feel up to exercising while not catching fish. I had trolled from Thursday to Thursday the week before for a Thresher with no luck except for my buddy, who doesn't even own a fishing rod caught a 50lber on that Sunday, on my spare X-Factor with my gear. I had read on BWE that someone had caught a 100lber at 5am the day before and was hopeful there was another for me. So anyway, last Wednesday at 5:45pm I launched into breakers and a pretty good wind. I didn't see another person on the water the rest of the evening.
I paddled straight out to the buoy line and dropped in my green mac mag-30 Rapala with 125 lb crimped mono leader and 65lb spectra on my Avet 2 speed with custom Calstar. Yes, I was seriously wanting to hook a big shark. I dropped my Sabiki rig in a few times and couldn't get the bait I was seeing on the FF, so I trolled it along with the Rapala hoping for bait or a T. I was zigzagging along the southern edge of the canyon headed out in 90-150 ft of water not knowing if I wanted to go north or go straight out. I cleared the grass off my Rapala a few times and was turning my head to see if there was action on the tip when I saw the hit! I was very excited but quickly disappointed when I started reeling cause all I had was slack then a little resistance and more slack just enough that I thought whatever it was, was gone, until the line came tight and went straight down ~50ft (I was reeling like hell the whole time), then I was sure there was something big on the other end and it started running and taking line! I was being pulled out and just had enough drag not to lose to much line but could make any either against the pull so I thumbed the spool, took it out of gear and gave the drag a couple of clicks and then pushed the lever all the back into full. I was then able to get close and I was waiting for a jump or perhaps a Mako to appear. I finally go to see the 4 ft leader end and a Thresher tail and was thrilled. I've wanted to catch one for 5 years from when I was visiting San Diego for summer classes at UCSD and had talked to Chris while he was launching and had searched online about the sport.
The shark went down about 20 feet a couple times, I saw it was hooked solid and I wanted it to be tired. On the third time the tail was up, I made a solid grab with both hands and was ready to lean the other other way for a good wrestle but the Thresher had other ideas and went off, pulling me and the kayak OVER, maybe I should of let go but I didn't, the combination of strength, quickness, waves, and a good grip under the Rapala (which still had 5 barbs free) were factors, but then I was swimming (no preserver) and scared. I had remembered to get my knife ready for the gills, loosen the drag and have a tail rope ready before the attempted landing so after the recovery that knife was gone, the shark had run a long way, but the rod was leashed and my sunglasses were still on. So I reeled it back again, while getting the spare knife from the tackle bag, a pair of needle nose and my dikes ready. I again saw the hook was secure so I slapped the tail and let it fight down a few times. I wanted it to be worn out for the next attempt. I wasn't confident anymore that I could do this but I was determined, so I grabbed again, was able to tail rope, remove the hook and start pulling it up and out when it went berserk flipping us over again! I had been biting the wooden handle of the 4" Rapala fillet knife the whole time of the flip and recovery and didn't lose my glasses this time either. The 10 ft rope held, tied off in the front hatch, which made flipping the yak over a little more difficult. I got situated again and this time decided to just haul the shark into the yak lengthwise putting it's head down by my feet without cutting the gills and was successful. I grabbed the knife out of my mouth and stabbed while cutting the left side gills and the blade broke off but I had given the death blow!
I weigh 275lb, the shark was a solid 90-100lbs, and I had 4 poles, tackle bag, dry bag, battery, bait-tube, etc.. so I was maxed out on the 425lb buoyancy of the Prowler 15. I was getting pushed around by the waves, taking on water, rubbing my arm and leg on the sharkskin, and trying to get back in cause it was sunset and I had dinner in the boat.
God, thank you, patience, perseverance and determination paid off.
Attached Images

Last edited by lambadmin; 06-04-2008 at 08:17 AM. Reason: editing
frugalfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:25 AM   #2
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Right on James !!!!!

You filleted it out, rather than steaking it.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
gary sullivan

James, killer story. I had a recent encounter similar to yours but let the tail go before he pulled me over. I admire your guts and determination to bring him aboard without help.
gary sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 AM   #4
FISHIONADO

I am so stoked for you. I remember the first time I met you a couple of years ago you got tossed trying to launch in big waves, but to your credit you gathered all your stuff and kept at it until you made it out. Congrats on achieving your goal!
FISHIONADO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Congrats James. I know you've been looking for one of those for a while. Hell of a story. Also a good reminder about how quick things can go wrong.

Never grab the tail below the rapala. That way if you have to you can let go without worrying about getting snagged.

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
madscientist

Congrats! Hell of a story.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #7
Handymansd
Ancient Member

James,

Congrats and a great write up! They are very powerful fish and a lot can go very wrong very fast, I am glad nothing went wrong ...well, or at least you were not injured. I know you have wanted one for a long time and I am glad that you finally got yours! I hear Squidco has a great deal on fillet knives right now.

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
Sherm

Simply impressive. Glad all ended well. A hardy congrats to you.
Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:50 AM   #9
ratdog

Great report, congrats. Your report gives me hope.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
LITTLE_NEMO

Good job Nice first T
LITTLE_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #11
bearlythere

That is an awsome report. Way to go ....Kept your cool in a bad situation and came out with the trophy...Good for you great job. Gald you got in safe with more than the one that got away story.

bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #12
jscott

Awesome story! Way to stick to it!
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
the dude

cool story. Congrats on filling your freezer!
the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #14
Dennis

DAMN! What a story. Thanks for the read.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #15
jephs422
Junior

Holy crap dude, sounds like you were prepared for hand to fin combat. Great story and great catch.
jephs422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:53 AM   #16
steveooo

That is kick ass and you are beyond hard core
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
glenniesan

Way to wrangle er up buddy!
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #18
Pinoyfisher

You are THE MAN!!!!