Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
Will B.

Islander San Clemente Island Trip

I went on the Islander kayak trip to San Clemente Island this last weekend. The Islander is a very clean spacious boat with a homey feel and much attention to detail. I got my own cozy stateroom with 3 bunks, a wash basin, a mirror and air conditioning. I tried all three bunks but could sleep best on the bottom one.

They only gave us a light dinner of cheese quesadillas Friday night so I recommend a pizza from Pizza Nouva or fish and chips from Hudson Bay Company at the docks.

I couldnt sleep very well Friday night and spent a lot of time on the bow looking at the moon through the fog.

We arrived at San Clemente at dawn and anchored near China Point.

It took me a while to get oriented and I was the last kayaker to launch. I went to the kelp and got spanish mackeral and started trolling. Out near the corner I hooked up a small yellow which took me into the kelp. I spent about 30 minutes trying to get him up as a seal danced around me.
I thought the seal got him or he came off but as i looked down I saw a silver sparkle and a forked tail sticking out of the kelp so i kept pulling.

I ended up calling the boat for help and the Capt said he would come on the zodiac and dive for the fish. But by the time he got there I had the fish and a pile of kelp in my net. The Capt had to use a knife to cut all the kelp off the fish. There were only two yellows caught and this was the biggest so i won $50 jackpot and a free return trip on the Islander

I continued trolling along the kelp line out to the point. There was lots of spanish mackeral and schools of blacksmith perch. There were a few seals but they didnt steal my bait.

The Capts were free diving and speared a 30 lb white sea bass and said they saw several yellows. I also saw some yellows swimming about 30 feet below me.

When it looked like there would be no more big game action I went into the kelp to fish for calicos.

It was really good fishing with plenty of 2-4 lb fish.

I stopped trying for calicos and switched to trying for halibut after 36 bass, which was one more than the Lawman caught there last year. If I had fished only for calico all day i could of caught 100 fish. My big fish was 5 lb 13 oz, which won the Big Bass jackpot-- a free entry to the next Steve Moyer tournament and a guided trip with Matt Moyer.

In the late morning the wind came up really bad. After lunch the Capt moved the boat around the corner to Pyramid Cove which was calm and flat.

I worked the sandy beaches and kelp edges with a crankbait, swimbaits, and live bait almost all the way to where the boat had moved to at Pyramid Point but couldnt find any halibut or big game fish. By the late afternoon the current had died and it effected fishing negatively. But definately try live bait near the cove closest to Pyramid Rock for halibut. We probably paddled over 6 miles for the day.

You guys going next weekend are going to have a great time This would be a perfect opportunity for Brad and Andy to try for a big calico for the contest they are in, after the morning big game run, if they can fish the inside of the stringers or the boilers. San Clemente is a classic calico spot.

Wish I was going with you.

I think this next trip is filled up but the Islander has a 2 day to Mexico and 2 day to San Clemente and Catalina. I think you will be happy if you go.
Will B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
fishinhb

Great post Will, congrats on all your fishing success! Especially with the double jackpot win and additional goodies to go with it. Looks like you paid for the trip double fold.

Did they have bait there? Why did you make your own? Match the hatch thing? How'd you fish for the quality bass?

Any info appreciated. You can PM if you like.

Thanks again for the nice posting.

fishinhb
Ron Pascual
Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Will B.

Hi Ron,
The Islander had sardines and brought them to us by hi speed zodiac when we called on the Marine radio.

I sabikied the spanish mackeral because they seem to be better bait than sardines and are hardier for trolling.

I fished the calicos inside the kelp drifting with the current and the wind. The best bait was the trix jetty worm. You can read about it on Plastic Navy site.

Many of the other kayakers made the mistake of just fishing the outside edge of the kelp or tieing up to the kelp in one place.

San Clemente has excellant boiler rocks. You have to get real close and put your swimbait or jetty worm right next to them. Usually San Clemente's China Cove and Pyramid Cove have easy acces to the boilers but this day there was a south swell so waves were breaking on the rocks and you had to be careful.

I hope you make an Islander trip--the one to San Clemete and Catalina sounds outstanding.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

Excellent Will! You were on fire :twisted: Can't wait for Saturday.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Drew

I'm on this trip for Thurs (leave weds night). 4 guys just dropped off - call the landing if you want in.
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
John M

Will
What type & color of Trix Jetty worm did you use?
John
John M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #7
kurt

Nice report, Will. Sounds like a great day of fishing.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Will B.

John its the 5/8 oz orange head with brown orange skirt and tail that was working best. The red head with red & black skirt/tail also worked. Contact Fishtrix on SDFish to purchase some.

Kurt- wish you could of been there-you would of had a blast!