Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM   #1
dmr

5/30 pm(s)

I launched around 4:00, to short period, smallish surf. Not bad if you waited for the lull. I got out dry as did Brad before me. I watched few sit-insides get swamped (no skirts). The wind was pretty light, but the mixed swell had things pretty chopped up. The surface water temp was most 68.5 F. Only three or four others out.

While initially fun on a 196, I was reminded that sabikis and bonito don't mix. There were many bonito and monster macs along the edge of the kelp. They thoroughly thrashed my sabiki and straighted hooks. There were all the bonito that one could want. I paddled away and finally picked up some foot long greenback and aaded a few spanish along the way.

My flyline got picked up around 6:45. About five seconds passed as I turned the kayak and let it run. I slowly pushed the drag towards "strike", my rod loaded up and I was on for < 1 second. Stupid circle hook. I dropped back into free spool for awhile and then slowly brought it back in. It got picked up and dropped once on the retrieve, then nothing. The bait had the WSB looking teeth marks. Oh well, maybe next time.

I headed in around 8:30. I got caught by a sneaker set that broke 20-30 yards back from the previous waves. The first one broke on top of me, but I pulled through it. I was able to reverse through the next two and ride a smaller wave in. Although the landing wasn't dry, I stayed up right and was happy that I could punch backwards through the waves without doing a nose stand.

I left the launch around 9:00. Brad was still out.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
madscientist

My only boney landed tonight, but he was a scrapper. 10.5#.

Every bait got shredded by these toothy terrors. Stayed out into deep darkness but no love from anything else. Confused seas, light wind, smooth landing. Try again tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Nice bone Brad, is that one getting weighed at the Marlin Club? 10.5 is big enough to capture the flag. Mine were only 5-6 pounders, so I did not keep any.

http://www.afishinados.com/leaderboard.html
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
madscientist

Where's the Marlin club? Gonna weigh it somewhere and keep my fingers crossed. Little devil fought hard. Almost fooled me into thinking it could be the right kind until I saw the black tail.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:38 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Mission Bay Marlin Club 619-224-8229
Oceanside Harbor 760-435-4000
Southwestern Yacht Club 619-222-0438
San Diego Marlin Club 619-222-8677

Closest weigh in for you would be Mission Bay, print out some weigh slips, there is a pdf link at the top of the leader board. Good luck!
Old 05-31-2006, 07:17 AM   #6
bearlythere

SAWT HE SAME YESTERDAY HEADED OUT BOUT 5:00 ON MY GREEN X-FACTOR......GOT TORE UP BY THE BONITA AND BIG MACS CUTTUNG UP MY FISH TRAPS..LOTS OF FUN....ALL RELEASED HAD ONE FISH ALMOST SPOOL ME BEFORE BREAKING OF...NVER SAW HIM....THE CALICO WERE GOING OFF THOUGH...GOT TWELVE...ALL REALEASE... AND A FEW OVER 4-5 LBS...NICE FISH......THERE WERE BIG SWELLS OUT SIDE MAKING ME BELIEVE THE LANDING WAS GOING TO SUCK...WAS A BIT WET BUT UPRIGHT...i FEEL THE SAME WAY BOUT THE LAST FISH I LOST WITHOUT EVEN SEEING HIM....ILL JUST SAY HE WAS A BIG WSB AND LEAVE IT AT THAT ....MAYBE NEXT TIME IS RIGHT.....
bearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Dan

Derek.....sounds like some close encounters of the right kind!

Brad, Dana landing scale office has the Marlin Club forms. Grill/Smoked my Bonito last night in Soy Vay marinade. VERY good. Don't be bonie haters!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #8
dmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
Grill/Smoked my Bonito last night in Soy Vay marinade. VERY good. Don't be bonie haters!
I didn't keep any of mine, since they were caught early and I didn't want them sitting in the sun (and they weren't 10+ lbs). I looked for more later on my way in and couldn't find any. I'll keep one or four next time and fire up the smoker.
dmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
madscientist

Fresh bonie sashimi is also pretty good, particularly on the boat when it's still twitching. Didn't bleed this guy since I didn't want it to lose weight so it will be catfood.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
Dennis

Set out with Ryan through some nice sets at 2pm. Caught a monster Calico and lost two WSB lastnight. One short bit... and the other at color.
-Dennis
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #11
Afran
fishy

Dennis
What happened? Hook pull, line break? Details please.
Afran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Dennis

Afran,
Now that I think about it... it was my fault. I guess you can say "fisherman error"... After I caught that calico, I didn't bother cutting and re-tying the line. I know the teeth frayed the line a bit, and I think that's why it broke off. The wsb was still pretty hot, it charged and when I got it to color it went crazy... POP!!! and then :cry: . I'm looking for it manana. Afran, you still got that 40#?
-D
Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
Ryan The Sealion

I killed a 10# bonie cuz it knocked my gaff in the water (and I haven't tried it in years) never again will I eat 1 of those oversized mackeral ops:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #14
Aaron&Julie

Smoked barracuda, bonito and yellowtail tonight, and while all 3 are excellent the bonito is the best. For a $1.50 each at Walmart we bought a couple of hot/cold bags and put some blue ice in them before our trip on Wednesday. The 6 lb bonito Aaron caught was bled, tail chopped off, bagged and dropped in to stay firm and fresh.
Also, had fresh hamachi tonight, plus a couple of slices of raw bonito. Julie goes with teriyaki, Aaron teriyaki and wasabi. Mmmm, mmmm, good. Again, the bonito held its own against the yellowtail. It's just gotta be bled and kept cold.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #15
Ryan The Sealion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie
For a $1.50 each at Walmart we bought a couple of hot/cold bags
next time ur at walmart hit up the bait freezer and buy some frozen macks to smoke...I bet it tastes the same as bonito :lol:
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #16
Aaron&Julie

You can probably smoke a boot and it would taste good :lol: .