Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
jorluivil

YUK!!!

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...orts-are-fishy

While seafood is usually touted as a health food high in omega-3 fatty acids helping boost brain and heart health, recent scathing reports paint a less desirable picture of America’s fish tainted with waste, chemicals, and antibiotics. Supermarket cases and restaurants make our seafood look presentable, but is it really safe to eat?
A recent Bloomberg Businessweek story reports unsanitary conditions for many Asian seafood exporters, along with government lagging in its ability to clean it up.
The 13 Worst U.S. Foodborne Illness Outbreaks
A Closer Look at Aquaculture

About 86 percent of our seafood is imported, and half of that is from aquaculture—fish farms. Most aquaculture imports are shrimp, tilapia, Atlantic salmon, and shellfish, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
In Vietnam, shrimp is stored in dirty plastic tubs, covered in ice made from tap water that could be contaminated with bacteria. Vietnam ships more than 100 million pounds of shrimp to the United States each year or about 8 percent of all the shrimp we eat.
In China, many fish farms reportedly use pig manure as feed, which contains salmonella and makes tilapia more susceptible to disease.
In addition, “shrimp farms in South and Southeast Asia are essentially factory farms, with all that implies—including antibiotic overuse,” according to a Wired piece published earlier this year. Many of the antibiotics in these fish farms are banned for use in the U.S.
The 10 Worst Disease Outbreaks in U.S. History
FDA Only Tests Small Sample of Imports

While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for ensuring the safety of our seafood, they may not be bringing their A-game to the task: Bloomberg reports that only 2.7 percent of all seafood imports are inspected by the FDA.
In 2008, FDA Deputy Director of Food Safety, Don Kraemer testified before Congress, summarizing the issue:
As the aquaculture industry continues to grow, concern about the use of unapproved drugs and unsafe chemicals in aquaculture operations has increased significantly. There is clear scientific evidence that the use of unapproved antibiotics and other drugs and chemicals, such as malachite green, nitrofurans, fluoroquinolones, and gentian violet, can result in the presence of residues in the edible portions of aquacultured seafood.
Even after this testimony, a 2011 GOA report found that the FDA tested about 0.1 percent of all imported seafood products for drug residues. To put this in perspective: out of 2.5 million metric tons of imported shrimp, the FDA tested only 34 samples for nitrofurans. Even worse: six of these samples came back positive.
The FDA also inspects processing facilities overseas, but that program too seems halfhearted at best. Only 1.5 percent of seafood facilities had been inspected, according to the GOA report.
Here’s a closer look at what it means for seafood-lovers.
The Impact of Tainted Fish And What to Do

A recent study by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said a quarter of the food-borne illness outbreaks from imported food involved seafood. That’s significantly more than the next food type on the list.
That doesn’t mean you should avoid seafood altogether. There are some steps you can take now to continue to enjoy safe, healthy fish and shrimp. Here are some tips:
  • The best course of action for consumers could be to avoid farmed fish. Look for sustainable seafood, wild caught, or eco-labeled.
  • Don’t be afraid to ask your local seafood provider questions and create dialogue.
  • Use seafood guides to stay informed and make smart choices in your area.
Check out these organizations:
The INCOFISH Project has a summary of international seafood guides and a searchable database to look up seafood by name, country or continent.
The Seafood Choices Alliance works with conservation groups worldwide and offers seafood recommendation guides, aquaculture and fisheries resources and links to conservation organizations working on seafood and other issues.
The National Resources Defense Council offers a Sustainable Seafood Guide with tips for making smarter seafood choices.
Fishwise is a sustainable seafood consultancy that promotes the health and recovery of ocean ecosystems by providing resources for consumers and industry leaders.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

Thats nasty thats why we only buy usa farm or wild seafood. We should start catching our lwn fish so we can not worry about diseased fish
Old 10-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
jruiz
Large Member

I remember watching an episode of California gold and they feed farmed tilapia trout poop. I don't know if were that much better than the Chinese.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
mtnbykr2

Damn it Jorge! I was having shrimp cocktail for dinner...it was all well placed in unison, around a beautiful plastic platter, with sauce and lettuce as the garnish...in the middle, with a little bowl of ice underneath...
Old 10-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
maui jim

Cool

Is that what you feed Candy Jeorge??
And I thought thats what gave her the model like smile... :-)
Old 10-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
StinkyMatt

If you had a burger from any of our fast food places you had all of the above crap in it. We (U.S.) are not much better than the story above. Some countries don't even allow our beef to be imported.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into a L.B. Hali.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

According to that report we should all be dead by now damn asians! Next time i see one im gonna take that salmonella tainted tilapia and shrimp and shove it up his arse!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
According to that report we should all be dead by now damn asians! Next time i see one im gonna take that salmonella tainted tilapia and shrimp and shove it up his arse!

LMAO!!!
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Open Gundam style!!!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
I remember watching an episode of California gold and they feed farmed tilapia trout poop. I don't know if were that much better than the Chinese.
Dirty Jobs went to one of these farms in the Mojave Desert of all places. They feed "regular food" to Striped Bass, then Tilapia and Carp eat the Bass Poop, and then they sell the Tilapia and Carp.

It's a beautiful business.

I wonder if those guys ever drop lines into their tanks?
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #11
jruiz
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2sp33d View Post
Dirty Jobs went to one of these farms in the Mojave Desert of all places. They feed "regular food" to Striped Bass, then Tilapia and Carp eat the Bass Poop, and then they sell the Tilapia and Carp.

It's a beautiful business.

I wonder if those guys ever drop lines into their tanks?
That was the same episode I was referring to. I got my show and upstream fish species mixed up. All I remember was that the tilapia was eating fish poop.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Ojos_raros

feeding pig manure to seafood with cheap labor in factory-farm like conditions is the reason Red Lobster and other fast food type restaurants go crazy in their marketing "all you can eat!", etc. They make tons of money on lack of regulations, cheap food & cheap labor. They've been doing this for years and years.

Support American jobs - EAT LOCAL!

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment -Buddha
Ojos_raros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
OutdoorAdvntr

In the end, we all turn to dust... might as well eat the dust
OutdoorAdvntr is offline   Reply With Quote