Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
stephenG

Dana Point 3-24

Didn't have a lot of time but hit the water anyway from 830-1130. Managed to scrap out 2 sand bass. One was about 16 1/2" the other about 13". Conditions were kinda garbage with lots of free floating kelp and dirty green water. Both fish came in 50ish feet of water. Nice day on the water even though it was quick. The quest for a big fat flat Hali continues....
stephenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Raskal311

I arrived at the ramp at 7:15 but the plastic didn't hit the water until after 8am. Fished until 2:30 for two calico one short one legal and a short butt.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
stephenG

Did you fish the headlands or the pipe? I saw a guy in a yellow PA catch what looked like a calico near the pipe.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Raskal311

Yea I think I was the only yellow PA on the water; the butt was near the barge. I saw some kids catch a few cuda near the barge as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
SorryCharlie

Similar experience here.

Was up at the kelp near the headlands around 8am, fished there till about 2pm. Ended the day with nothing legal, but 6 short calicos (2 were so close) and 2 short sandies.

Tried just south of Doheny for some hali for about 45 minutes before calling it a day, nothing there but trying not to get to close to shore for when the big sets came in. Still a decent day on the water.

I did hear that people were catching some barracuda by the bait barge as well, didnt give it a try myself tho.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
chefjtwalker
Junior

I was on the pipe for the morning, in a sand revolution. I wound up with a 5+lb sandy and a 2lb calico. Lots of bites from shorts. I was using larger swim baits (6 inch) to keep the macs and shorts off the hook. Had I been using 4" i would have had a lot more in the yak. Lots of PB out there... more than what I normally see. Quite a few whales in the area too.
chefjtwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Raskal311

How deep do you think you let the swim bait drop before retrieving when fishing the pipes? I was fishing 4" swim bait but didn't get too many bites.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
stephenG

I try to keep my presentation slow and on the bottom when the water is cold. My larger fish was on live bait and the smaller one was on a drop shot 4". There agian sounds like ChefJTWalker was on a better grade fish than me.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
madncrzydm

Any help on the location of the pipe?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenG View Post
I try to keep my presentation slow and on the bottom when the water is cold. My larger fish was on live bait and the smaller one was on a drop shot 4". There agian sounds like ChefJTWalker was on a better grade fish than me.
I think that was the problem, my lead head wasn't heavy enough to get down low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madncrzydm View Post
Any help on the location of the pipe?
2-3 o'clock heading out of the harbor, look for yaks and boats lined up.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
chefjtwalker
Junior

When I fish the pipe I try and drift over it. I normally cast out so I can drift and bounce it while I drift over it. The pipe is about 10 feet across it seems. It is a little tricky to find it with out a depth finder. In 30-40 feet of water it is almost straight off the life guard tower. In 50-60 feet of water it is almost straight off of the DoubleTree hotel.

I normally fish 3/4 to 1 oz heads so I can get down fast below the macs. If the current is ripping or the wind is pushing me to fast I move up to a 1.5 oz head. The sandies are normally in the bottom 10 feet and I have caught calicos off the bottom and had them chase all the way to the surface.

Like most places its all about time on the water. I have been fishing DP for about 3 years, getting out an average 3+ times a month. If you want to learn some of the spots try and get out during one of the Fishing with Friends events at DP Jet Ski:

http://www.kayakfishingmafia.com/smf...ic,2993.0.html

Always more fun when a little money is involved. Decent amount of people show up so you can see a lot of different areas people fish. Good luck out there.
chefjtwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #12
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjtwalker View Post
When I fish the pipe I try and drift over it. I normally cast out so I can drift and bounce it while I drift over it. The pipe is about 10 feet across it seems. It is a little tricky to find it with out a depth finder. In 30-40 feet of water it is almost straight off the life guard tower. In 50-60 feet of water it is almost straight off of the DoubleTree hotel.

I normally fish 3/4 to 1 oz heads so I can get down fast below the macs. If the current is ripping or the wind is pushing me to fast I move up to a 1.5 oz head. The sandies are normally in the bottom 10 feet and I have caught calicos off the bottom and had them chase all the way to the surface.

Like most places its all about time on the water. I have been fishing DP for about 3 years, getting out an average 3+ times a month. If you want to learn some of the spots try and get out during one of the Fishing with Friends events at DP Jet Ski:

Always more fun when a little money is involved. Decent amount of people show up so you can see a lot of different areas people fish. Good luck out there.
Thats exactly what I saw a small boat do and they were producing a fish every few pass.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
FishNinjaY

Quote:

Some great info and details. Thanks for helping us newbs.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
SorryCharlie

Quote:

I have to add my thanks as well for helping out us newbs. I have tried the pipe a few times with limited luck. Did get a nice size calico there once, but only once.

Also thanks for the link, I didn't know they had these events at DP Jet Ski. I will have to try this out in April!
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote