Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

MUST READ - MAKE THOSE CALLS!

From the numbers Chris posted...

I just got off the phone with Jonathan Hardy (Senator Ducheny’s Staff), 619-409-7690. He is also a member of the statewide interest group, and here is some of the things he touched on that the Senator is aware of;

- That the mapping has issues and is behind
- That they are aware that the process is going too fast
- They listen not only enviros, but commercial as well
- That the BRTF has an agenda, he has heard that
- Aware of the budget, and part of the budget conference committee

Here is the best part...when I mentioned to him the concern of kelp habitat as a factor in determining which areas need help, and that some of the areas mentioned are very kelp-healthy, he said that they are aware that only certain years were used for the study, when there are 80 years' worth of study available...

The 3 mile closure from shore? CA only has that jurisdiction...over 3 miles is federal...did not know that...

Jonathan Hardy seemed to me to be helpful, knowledgeable about the process and the pros and cons, and assured me that the Senator is aware of problems in the process and the meeting tomorrow is a hearing to decide what steps need to be addressed.

Also, they are aware the DFG is under-funded and could pose problems, and I told him that I for one, like many of you, know how important it is to have the DFG out in force. A mention was made of Sutton's involvement, among other things I'd rather not post here...will talk about it Saturday...

Keep making those calls, I was taken aback how much he was informed of everything, calls regarding the MLPA are directed to him.

Thanks Chris for those numbers....

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
Grego

Good job Martin

Got an auto response from Chair Evans email...said due to high volume you need to go to her website and use the "contact us". Did that and filled in the form and hit the submit but said she only responds to those in her district....Napa Valley area. Oh well, i'm sure the fax went through.

Last edited by Grego; 06-10-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
tylerdurden
Bad Clone

Let the Fish and Game Commission know what you think about the proposed maps.

Be ready for December 9th and 10th.

tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
From the numbers Chris posted...

Also, they are aware the DFG is under-funded and could pose problems, and I told him that I for one, like many of you, know how important it is to have the DFG out in force.
I wonder if he is also aware that fishing licenses provide much of the F&G funding and if there is no place for us to fish, there will be no need to for many of us buy a license? How do they plan to replace that revenue?

Similarly, I wonder if he recognizes that the MLPA closures could result in a huge loss in sales tax revenue from the businesses that make a living off of coastal fishing.

It seems to me that since the folks running this circus appear to be ignoring the science and relying on incomplete or outdated data we cannot hope for a reasonable result on that front. Maybe it is time to open a new battle front that is all about the probable lack of funding funding and potential lost tax revenue.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

From what I gathered, they are aware of the potential for lost revenue.

I had about a 15 minute conversation with him, and some of the stuff I threw at him, I was surprised by his responses, very well informed.

The thing that sticks out the most in my mind was that when I mentioned the kelp habitat being a factor in the decision process for certain areas and the years chosen that were factored in the decision process, his response was that they had 80 years of study available to use as a determining factor, yet chose only a couple years.

I am hoping that after tomorrow, all will realize the impact this could potentially have for the state, and that we as voters will want somebody in office that will not only listen to us, but hear us as well.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote