Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
Hammerhead_77

Skipped LJ, hit the bay

I changed up and decided to give LJ a pass and go look for halibut. Did a 5:30 launch from kellog street. Played with the spotties for a while then went to the barge for sardines before heading out to Cabrillo.

The Good: I hooked up two Halibut. Now I know what the bite feels like and how to wait.

The bad: I lost both...

One got up close enough to see, and then with one extra tug took off with my trap rig. The other one broke the trap rig as soon as I started to pull. These were store-bought rigs...I'll be making some of my own with some 50# mono tonight! I had several raked baits as well.

The only drag today was that half the Navy went by - LA-class sub, 4 FF / DDG, an oiler/tender...and tons of those overpowered security boats and SEAL fast boats. It was a wake fiesta.
Hammerhead_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Hammerhead_77

FYI... for the C&R guys.... the spotties where really biting on the incoming tide! I got a bunch and left them all in the bay for next time!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #3
BillzBaitz

Hey Hammerhead... Nice going on the spotties sorry about the butts.. Is there public parking down there? Im in the IE and dont know that area at all..
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
JarrodMc

Bummer on losing the butts! Nice job getting bit and next time you'll get em!!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzBaitz View Post
Hey Hammerhead... Nice going on the spotties sorry about the butts.. Is there public parking down there? Im in the IE and dont know that area at all..
What part of the IE I am from the IE to going to hit the bay this weekend if you want to tag along.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
BillzBaitz

im in redlands.. heading out to tidelands on friday
BillzBaitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
usmp06
Shark Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillzBaitz View Post
im in redlands.. heading out to tidelands on friday
Really Redlands? me too well mentone right on the border of redlands. I sent a pm if you'd like to have company to tidelands.
usmp06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmp06 View Post
Really Redlands? me too well mentone right on the border of redlands. I sent a pm if you'd like to have company to tidelands.
The closest spot to cabrillo point that you can launch is Kellogg street off of rosecrans on point loma. Launching from the shelter island boat ramp is easy, lots of parking, but it is an extra 2/3 mile of water to cover.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
TK_82

Nice going on the bass. You'll get them butts soon enough. It was frustrating for me too when i first started fishing for halibut. I don't use a trap rig so i missed many fish and lost quite a few. But, after i found out that they like to mouth their prey for a while before swallowing, then i started to hook some. One question for you, are we allowed to shore fish that area where you launch from?
TK_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Hammerhead_77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_82 View Post
Nice going on the bass. You'll get them butts soon enough. It was frustrating for me too when i first started fishing for halibut. I don't use a trap rig so i missed many fish and lost quite a few. But, after i found out that they like to mouth their prey for a while before swallowing, then i started to hook some. One question for you, are we allowed to shore fish that area where you launch from?
You would want to shore fish from the very northern end of shelter island rather than the point loma side, I think.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #11
flemdogg
Island Blood

waddup ie yakkers! im up in rancho cucamonga pm me where yall are headed
flemdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
ratdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_82 View Post
There used to be signs all over in there saying "No Fishing". I'm sure its still the same since families play on that small beach.
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
h2ofishfo

Definitely make your own rigs those store bought ones are garbage plus you got no one to blame except yourself
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote