Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
dewinwa

Cool Newbie

So my wife bought me a kayak for my birthday and after spending the last 3 weeks building and buying things to outfit it (thanks to this forum) I am pretty sure I am ready for the maiden voyage. Since I am new to the kayak game I plan on taking it out on SD bay out of Pepper park/tide lands boat launch tomorrow morning between 7:30-8 am to test everything out and possibly get some lines wet in the process. If anyone has any helpful advice or feels generous enough to show a newbie the ropes it would be greatly appreciated.
dewinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Amish Ed

Welcome to the addiction. What do you plan to use for bait tomorrow?
Old 06-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #3
dewinwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Welcome to the addiction. What do you plan to use for bait tomorrow?
To be honest I might just throw some artificials and maybe some cut bait. My main priority is to test what I have set up and see if it works for me. If I catch something it would just be a bonus as I am not really sure as to where to go or what to use here yet. My last salt water fishing was in Florida so I need to relearn the ropes here in California.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #4
MrPatrick

Get there earlier if you can. You will get the best out of tide movement with less wind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
MrPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
dewinwa

[QUOTE=MrPatrick;197919]Get there earlier if you can. You will get the best out of tide movement with less wind.

Sent from my iPad

I have to drop my son off at school at 7:15 first otherwise I would be out there earlier.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Amish Ed

Break out that freshwater bass gear and baits. 6-10lb line. Weedless worm hooks with baits like creatures, soft jerkbaits, and many different worms and craws. Deep diving cranks and spinner baits will also work well. Then there is also the swimbait of course.

Fish the shallower drop offs and also the eel grass beds for spotties and sandies mixed in. Deeper drop offs and channels will have more sand bass with a few spotties too.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
dewinwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
Break out that freshwater bass gear and baits. 6-10lb line. Weedless worm hooks with baits like creatures, soft jerkbaits, and many different worms and craws. Deep diving cranks and spinner baits will also work well. Then there is also the swimbait of course.

Fish the shallower drop offs and also the eel grass beds for spotties and sandies mixed in. Deeper drop offs and channels will have more sand bass with a few spotties too.
Thanks. I will give that a shot.