Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
TekkaYaker
Junior

anchor trolley..Is it a necessity?

I just got a Hobie Outback and before I go drilling to install an anchor trolley system I thought I'd see if it is really needed or a nice to have. I plan on fishing the bays / La Jolla and wonder what you all are getting by with. I launched at Mission Bay last week and just fished on the move, never dropped anchor. Have a kelp clip, but want to avoid drilling if I can..
Thanks, Jon
TekkaYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
DanaPT

The search function is awesome and may get you better info, I'm sure this topic is covered. I think most will agree that they rarely anchor, therefore seldom use the anchor trolly. I don't think it's worth drilling holes over.

When I do anchor I would use a bungee from the anchor rope/with a float, to the kayak and use the hooks and hook them on something (like a handle). This will help absorb boat wake and prevent you from flipping. IF i ever needed to move quick I just un-hook the rope from the kayak move and the float will keep it above water and I can go back and haul it in.

Good luck.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'd put this as nice to have but not a necessity.

I thought I needed one when I first bought my yak so I installed one but turns out I rarely use it. Usually I'll tie off to kelp when I stop for lunch, or when I'm fishing the kelp and don't want to drift with the current.

The best thing about it is being able to tie off to the very front or rear of the yak and not worry about flipping due to wakes or waves hitting me and pulling against a tie off from the side handles.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
buddha

I love it when I fish the bay for bonefish.

I also use a drift chute in the bay with the anchor trolley.

Here is a no drill option.
http://www.yakangler.com/forum/21-lo...1-rigging-pics

I also like it in the lakes too.

You can anchor without a trolley but I like that you can position it exactly the way you want to with it.

Last edited by buddha; 10-04-2013 at 02:47 PM.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Drift chutes are great for rockfishing in Swift current and slowing down your drift when dragging the sand for halibut. The nice thing about a trolly is positioning yourself exactly how you want to be oriented. Nice to have but not a necessity

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
RockyRaab

I use my anchor trolley a LOT more with a drift chute than an anchor, and consider it a necessity. What I don't consider necessary is drilling holes. My Pro Angler has front and rear handles that serve admirably as endpoints for a trolley. I simply bent and flatteed some heavy copper wire to hold the two pulleys, looping the wire ends around the handle bolts, as seen here:

RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote